Platform for discovering new music?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Guthrielicious, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Guthrielicious

Guthrielicious SS.org Regular

Hey guys.

So I always try to find new (and old) interesting and exciting music to listen to. What do you guys usually use to discover new songs/artists? Can be websites, apps and what not.

Thanks in advance :I)

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

sevenstring.org

but seriously folks, I used to just check out everything posted on the "getmetal" blogspot, which I won't link to because I believe some of the music is pirated, though many links are to free downloads from bandcamp. I actually got into djenty stuff on there before ever using this website (though it covers a full range of metal, most of it is not djent). It's also where I found one of my favorite bands of all, Save Us From The Archon. I think I also learned of Corelia on that site. Desecrecy, Caronte, even the first Ghost album before they were very popular. Loads of stuff. I should start checking that blog again. I wonder if it's even still around.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Agreed, I find tons of new music on this site, and not all of it is metal. First heard of Tigran Hamasyan here, and that led down a whole path of cool stuff I'd never heard before. Usually I'll look up stuff posted here on Spotify, then follow the trail of "related artists". Spotify also generates a "discovery" playlist every week, sometimes there's decent stuff in there.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^I find that radio service type things like last.fm spotify pandora can lead you to good bands, but you'll have to sift through a lot lot lot of shet. In my experience, at least. It's tantamount to finding new bands by watching random youtube videos, or finding a new favorite show by channel surfing. I like better to find someone whose taste in music I find reputable to recommend specific full albums to me. Which is often done on SSO, or if you're lucky enough to find a blogger with similar tastes as your own.

5. cult

cult SS.org Regular

last.fm's related artists
    internet radio
    Bandcamp.com

Just check staffs recommendations of the latter, great stuff to be found on there.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I go through here, Apple Music, and Bandcamp mostly

7. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

This. While the majority of posts are metal, lots of us swing in all sorts of directions in our tastes.

Head over to the huge "What are you listening to" thread and just check stuff out. If you see an unfamiliar band name in a thread title, give it a click and see whats up. Looking for new music is basically a hobby for me at this point because of how fun and gratifying it is.

8. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Is Last.fm dying? I love that website for discovering bands. I just never hear about it anymore with the utter domination of streaming sites like Spotify, Tidal, Deezer etc.

Anyways...consider this post another ringtoss for the ol' Sevenstring.org forum. Not to pander like a little sycophant, but it's hands down the best guitarist/music community out there, no matter how many strings you prefer. The "what are you listening to?" thread is a little treasure trove!

ALL of the other messageboards out there REEK of elitism/intolerance of any kind of divergence from their collective "mentality". As a result you'll find a very narrow selection of music recommended, even in just the metal genre. That might be misdirected due to personal experience, but hey!

9. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Soundcloud is fantastic :yesway:

10. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

Most through Apple music's related artists, or what I see spoken about on forums

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

reddit.com/r/djent, /r/progmetal, and /r/metalcore

Spotify's similar artists feature on a band's profile

Soundcloud

But most of all, YOUTUBE RECOMMENDED VIDEOS.

I can't say how many amazing bands I've found by looking at the recommend videos for other bands. That's how I discovered like 99% of the djent/progressive metal bands I listen to.

12. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Just use as many different sources as possible. :yesway:

13. TheAbstract

TheAbstract SS.org Regular

I like Pandora.

Just put in an artist you like then it plays other artists which meet a certain criteria like major vs minor chords or syncopated rhythms. There's like 120 different criteria it matches by.

14. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I do use this site a lot, Youtube, recommendations from friends, and since I'm old, sometimes I go back to my high school ways and get ideas from good ol' fashioned, printed on paper music mags. If I commit to an article, I really got to check out the bands I'm reading up on!

15. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

16. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I usually discover new stuff through YouTube recommendations, Bandcamp, lurking this forum (Music discussion \ Recording Studio subthreads), well organized content portals (such as the almighty ProgArchives), blogs (+1 for our fellow Omega above here, I recommend his blog. And well, I have a "younger" one too, check my sig.), and last but not least, good old word of mouth.
    Too much "noise" to have significant discoveries in any other way to me, scrolling through random lists with no underneath logic would just be a shot in the dark.

17. fps

fps Kit

Bandcamp, metal magazines and review sites (between them you can tell who's picking up buzz), metalsucks and youtube. I love sevenstring, and admire the talents of the members, but a lot of the music doesn't hit my production/musical tastes.

18. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Honestly besides recommendations from friends- Youtube. Either from recommended videos or music channels.