Planned mods - need guidance!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by RobbYoung, May 25, 2015.

1. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes End Wars

So I've had my MIM Strat for a few years, and want to try something new with it. Previously I tuned it to Drop C/B/A, and while it felt amazing, the stock pups really left something to be desired.

I wouldn't want to completely change the instrument to allow for more chuggy playing, so I intend to get a custom pickguard made by Warmoth:

[​IMG]

...and put in a Bareknuckle Painkiller I've had sitting around for a while. By having two separate pickguards, it would allow me to put the instrument back to "stock" if necessary. The controls I'd be putting in the guitar will be a volume and a three way switch, allowing for series/south/parallel modes.

What I'm asking is, am I missing something that'll cause severe issues for me?

2. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

Sounds simple enough. I did similar with my USA strat... fitted a HH pickguard and kept the original all wired up in case I want to change it back. Just a case of wiring the jack and the ground wire really.

3. Hywel

Hywel SS.org Regular

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Just make sure the screw holes line up around the edge of the pickguard and the body is routed for a bridge humbucker.

The switch you'll need is an on/on/on switch such as this

If you want to make is a solderless changeover between pickguards, you could solder the bridge ground and socket wires to some screw terminals in the body cavity and have lead wires to connect them on the pickguard.

Hope that helps! :yesway:

4. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes End Wars

My only other question... What colour pickguard should I get? I've got a lake placid blue strat, and the pickup is black.

Anyone know how a LPB strat with black guard looks?

5. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

Google is your friend :D

[​IMG]