Planet waves strap

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by coupe89, Mar 7, 2017.

1. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I bought one of these for my Universe but it seems the rubber backing might wear the paint. Has anyone ever have this problem with them?

2. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I don't think you have anything to worry about, for a strap to wear through a guitar finish takes years of wear and tear, unless you're really wearin and tearin.

However, i've encountered this strap before and i'm too much of a dummy to understand the mechanism so they piss me off!

CLIPLOCK FTW!

you'll be fine though...

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I had one of those straps for a while and had no problems with it. It locks on to the strap pin really well and shouldn't cause your finish to wear down, though I thought it was a bit clunky :2c:

I'm all about the Clip Lock straps :metal:

4. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

I was thinking about clip locks but I don't see how they would fit in the premium case without scratching the paint.

5. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Used one for a couple of years, no visible wear, except on the side of the strap. It was too clunky though, abandoned it for Dunlop straplocks. I'm not 100% happy with them either, but no serious complaints.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I used these straps exclusively for ~12 years. I've worn through the rubber on a few of them and never had anything happen to my finish.

7. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

Good to hear did not want to ruin the finish on a new guitar. I was going to get strap locks but I am not crazy about doing the toothpicks or match sticks thing to get the screws to work.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Ok. The Planet Lock is pretty nifty, IMO. I've rode them pretty hard and never had one do anything bad other than gradually wear out. But, just curious, why don't you want to use a toothpick or matchstick?

9. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

What guitars is that necessary on? All of mine worked just fine with the original holes.

10. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

Did they the last set of Schallers I bought the screw ripped out and I had to put matchsticks into the hole then reuse the old pins. I may try Dunlop but from what I was reading people were saying the screw is smaller on them too.

11. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I have also used the the planet waves strap for some years. While the rubber gets a bit of weare, there is nothing to see on the guitar it is on. My only problem with it really is that the hole isn't big enough for the strap pins on some of my guitars, e.g. my ibanez prestige which has some very wide pins, which is nice, but not compatible with these.
    It does fit most guitars and basses though.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I got the old version of the planet waves ones. The comfiest strap I own thanks to a shoulder pad they come with. They were even chukier, but no, I dotn have any wear

I got them in my bass from 12 years ago, my bass I use a gigbag and never had any issues. I also ahve them on my Ibanez iceman from 6 years ago. I only had to be careful when put the guitar on the case, so the guitar wont sit on top of it. Same with my LTD EC more recently. In both cases I have never had any issues. The guitar doesnt move on the case so theres no reason why it should scratch the paint

I have never had to do that. If not, the screws that came with my dimarzio straplocks were actually bigger than the originals of the guitar/bass. If not I had to put some force to be able to screw them in as they needed a deeper/wider hole

13. You

You รพ

I possess a planet waves strap, however it is more of a traditional strap rather than the one pictured.

14. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I have a red one on my Premium RG and it fits with its strap pins but it was too small for my Kelly's pins (which has a Fender monogrammed strap attached to it right now).

The rubber layer is to protect the guitar from being scratched by the hooks and it does flake easily when it makes contact, but it's thick so it should last long. It'll leave some smudges when it's taken off, which could be cleaned up with just a simple wipe.

What I like about the PW locking strap is that I can easily take it off when I'm about to put my guitar back in its case and attach it back when I take it out.