Pitch Shifter for real time playing

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Frostbite, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

So I have been trying to find a decent pitch shifter that doesn't introduce any notable latency And doesn't sound completely awful. I tried Pitchproof but didn't care for how digital it made the guitar sound but I liked that it didn't add much latency. I don't need it to be mind blowing I really just want to be able to play songs in different tunings. Any suggestions anyone here has tried? Thanks!

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Pedals okay or you want software?

The Digitech Whammy DT or Drop was the best I found when I was researching this. Least amount of latency and digital artifacts.

akinari likes this.
  3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'm using a Line6 Pod pro X. It does the job fairly well, but it does sound a bit digitalized. Not too much that it bothers me but it is audible.
    Not exactly a pedal format though, can't comment about their smaller fx pedals like the HX stomp, but I assume they're as good or probably better.

4. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

+1 on the Digitech. I use one live to go from E-D-C-B, just got the audio back of a live DVD we shot and it's un-noticeable.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Get a Digitech drop indeed. If you don't want it on your DIs, you can always stick it in the loop of your interface as an external effect. I don't know why there is zero software that comes close to the Digitech pedal

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

The Digitech Drop is amazing! I almost don't notice any latency! It may get wobbly at the lower registers, but excellent for the first few semitones going down.

Here are my demos:

A more detailed one on clean and dirty going down each semitone:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  7. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

the best one I've found is on the kemper, definitely the most natural and tried just about everything. Digitech drop wins for value however it does add artifacts to the signal, seems to lower the perception of the amount of gain you are using and has a fizz to the sound no matter how many steps down you go. Nothing is going to perform this task as well as a guitar yourself so really it's about what's an acceptable compromise.

Merrekof and littlebadboy like this.
  8. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yeah I think I'll have to go with a Drop. I figured there had to be a plugin solution that would do the same thing but apparently not. Drop seems to be the most cost effective option while giving, what sounds from demos, good enough for me to not have to keep buying different guitars for different tunings. That's what I'll keep telling myself until the next guitar purchase...

littlebadboy and Merrekof like this.
  9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I still bought a baritone tuned to drop A to have that authentic experience!