Pin Connector in Reaper

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Basti, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

This is something I'm still trying to figure out.

Can someone dumb it down for me? What exactly does this do?

Say I just want to record one guitar in Input 1 to a mono, or even stereo, track using a VST head an cab configuration. How would I set up my connections differently?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...

2. Lokasenna

Lokasenna SS.org Regular

Well, one thing to note is that Reaper doesn't specifically have stereo or mono tracks. A signal is stereo, or it isn't.

- Set the track to record from Input 1 of your interface. This should give you a mono guitar signal.

- Load your amp sim, and your cab sim. You should still have a mono, centre-panned signal at this point, unless you set your amp or cab to stereo within the plugins themselves.

- If you want stereo, there's no need to fiddle with the I/O pins. Open your amp and cab and set them to stereo using the controls in the plugins, then set the track to record from Inputs 1 AND 2. 1 will automatically be sent to the left side, 2 to the right.

Now then, as for the I/O pins...

[​IMG]

You would read it like this, from left to right:

Rows 1-> and 2-> are the left and right channels of your track feeding into the plugin.

The columns represent the inputs that the plugin was designed with. In this case, for ReaComp, we have four - a left and right input, and a pair of auxiliary inputs for sidechaining.

So, if you wanted to use another track's signal to sidechain-compress your guitars, you would first click the little "+" button on the left to add additional channels to the track. You would then create a send from your other track to this one, making sure that the audio is being sent to channels 3/4, and connect channels 3/4 to the auxiliary inputs using the I/O grid. Then, in ReaComp, you change the detector input to Auxiliary. Done.

----

Now, having said all that, it's pretty rare to actually need to use the I/O window unless you've got some specific routing you need to do - in fact, I can't remember the last time I used it at all. In the above example, you can simply create a send to channels 3/4, open ReaComp and set the detector to Auxiliary, and Reaper does the rest for you.

3. manana

manana SS.org Regular

Not sure what you are asking. Guitar tracks have a single output and ipso facto will always be in mono.

Reaper has input selections on the track, near the volume it says input. You can select which input from your interface you are recording.

If you are recording 1 track, then have 1 track with the VST on it and just record a mono track.

4. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

Thank you! That helped loads. So yeah, I don't need it but I'm glad I know more about it now - it would have bugged me forever. :cheers: