Pickups for PRS SE Baritone?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by onionofdoom, May 12, 2015.

1. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Hey all.

So I've just scored a PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone on eBay. I'm basically after pickup recommendations (I know, I know, I haven't even got it in my hands and I'm wanting to change pickups, but IME the SE units aren't going to cut it.)

The guitar is a 27.7" scale with a Mahogany body, Maple neck and Ebony fret board. The guitar will be tuned to A# standard/Drop G#. I'm not looking for a progressive metal sort of tone, if anything I'm aiming more along the lines of Breaking Benjamin/Alter Bridge/Chevelle type stuff. Tight bass, but not at the expense of chunk/low mid and a present mid-range.

My regular Guitars are two other PRSi: a CE-22 and a McCarty, tuned to Eb or Drop C#. The McCarty has stock pickups and the CE has a BKP Holydiver with an Alnico VIII in the bridge, if that's at all relevant. In terms of what I tend to like, Ceramics are usually a no-no (although with the tuning I'm thinking might be necessary) and I'm after more of a medium or even vintage output as from what I hear baritones can push the gain a little more anyway and I tend to favor moderate output as it is.

As I say, I'm basically after your opinions, that's all. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If you want tight but chunky, as well as Alnico, I've heard good things about the Duncan Pegasus. I was looking into one of those when I was looking for a tone just like that. Might also like the PRS Tremonti, or the Duncan Full Shred (which is what I settled on getting eventually.)

3. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Cheers :)

From what I can tell the Tremonti is awesome in terms of EQ curve but it's got a little too much output for me. Pegasus and Full shred are right on in terms of what I was thinking. Do you think there's much benefit in going for the Pegasus over the FS? The reason I ask is the FS come up on eBay frequently for cheap. That said, the Pegasus sounds like a better fit from the spec alone.

By the way, can anyone substantiate or refute the idea I've gotten into my head that a low-tuned baritone will 'push' the amp a bit more than a guitar in relatively normal tunings? More metal moving, more low end frequency driving the preamp harder etc. If it helps i'll be using 13-70 gauge strings.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm not sure if baritones will have more output than standard-scale guitars. If they do, then it's probably a very small difference.

Also, Full Shred VS Pegasus. From my understanding, the Full Shred is brighter and has a very, very tight low end, while the Pegasus has a smoother top end, and a full low end. The Pegasus also has a little bit more output.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Duncan Custom/'59 pair or a Dominion set :yesway:

6. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

I've used the C/59 pair and don't care for it at all, too scooped sounding. Dominions look really cool, I've had the Breed in a few guitars and liked it but I don't think it would be tight or bright enough for this application. From what I've heard the Dominion is a tweaked Breed so that might be the ticket

:hbang:

I should have mentioned I'm probably only going to replace the bridge pickup, the project I'll be using this for I won't ever use any other position anyway.

7. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I was in between the D-Activator and the Titan.

I LOVE the D-Activator, but I'm trying something different this time.

I've never tried the Dominion but I'd imagine any of those 3 would slay.

8. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

The more I think about it the more I think the Dominion would be a good match.
    D-activators and Titans would have way too much output for me and I'm not trying to approximate a 'Djent' tone, although that logic rests on me assuming that's what you were going for with the Titans which may not be the case :lol:

What sort of stuff will you be playing with yours?

9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

For Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle you definitely need a pickup that has some thickness to it. These would be my suggestions:

#1 Dimarzio Dominion
    #2 Duncan Custom
    #3 Dimarzio D-Sonic

10. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Interesting that the Custom has been mentioned a few times. Would you go for that or the Dominion? I'm leaning toward the Dominion, as I've had good experiences with the Breed.

11. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

The Dominion is plenty tight! I have a set in my Ibanez Mushok.

12. youngthrasher9

I'm mainly a death metal player but I dabble heavily in groove, blackened death metal, and progressive type stuff. Djent isn't really my thing but I do require a tight brighter tone.

13. youngthrasher9

I do play the same kind of stuff you do on occasion.

TBH I forgot to read about what bands you like in the OP, but knowing that now I would probably go with the Dominion if were you, as well.

14. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Looks like the Dominion is a good bet.

15. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

I have a prs mushok.

Had a Duncan alternative 8 in it and then switched to a Duncan distortion. I don't think I'll be swapping out the distortion.

The alt8 had massive tight low end, but it was missing that midrange grind that the distortion has.

16. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Another vote for the Duncan Custom here.

17. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Does anyone want to vouch for why? I really, vehemently dislike the SH-5 and the Distortion but i'm happy to change my mind.

18. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Clear, more articulation, a little tighter in the low end. All things that you will need in a lower tuned guitar, especially if using for high gain applications.

When you transpose tuning, you are also transposing eq. You need to compensate if you want this instrument to cut through in the mix in the same fashion that your others do.

Another good contender, if the Duncan is too much $$ for you, is the GFS Dream 180 Humbucker.

19. onionofdoom

onionofdoom I'm Batman

Firstly, my issue with the SH-5, is that I've tried it and didn't like it, not that I can't afford it. Also I'm in the UK so GFS isn't really an option. My experience was that the low end was massive and very tight, but the high end was irritating in the extreme, to the point that it was all I could focus on when playing. I can't imagine even G# is low enough to counteract what I was hearing. That said, I like the Custom 8, and the Custom Custom is fantastic, although not at all what I'm going for with this guitar. The ceramic Custom is just too bright for me, great low end but just too fizzy.

I think I'm going to go for the Dominion guys, your advice is much appreciated.

20. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

The Dominion is my favorite passive pickup and I've tried a ton. I think you'll be very pleased.