Pickups for an Ibanez RGA7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by maggotspawn, Feb 23, 2019.

1. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Just picked up an RGA7. Anybody have pickup suggestions? My favorite is the Duncan Distortion, but they won't work for this guitar obviously.
    Thinking some Blackouts maybe. Anybody have one of these guitars and swapped pickups? Looking for good tone and easy install.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Depends on style you are playing with it but for me, i would put in EMGs.
    Either dual 81-7xs or get a 60-7x in the neck to pair with it.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Duncan makes the Distortion in an active/soapbar cover so there would be no gap. It's a bit more expensive than the regular model, but I think it would be worth it if you already know you like that pickup.

EDIT: Switching from the stock Ibanez active pickups to anything else is going to be a bit more involved than other systems since that guitar uses AA batteries and has the mid cut switch if I remember correctly. Might just be worth it to gut everything and go passive with the Distortion + whatever neck pickup

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Thanks guys. I tried it with an EQ in the loop and boosted it with a DigiTech Screaming Blues.
    Sounded good enough for now. It'll give more time for research.