Pickups for a mahogany body 7 string!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Joshua, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

What's up SSO! Looking for a new set of pickups for my Ibanez RG752WMFX.
    It currently has D-Activators which I'm really just not a fan of at all. Shoot me some recommendations!

The last set of pickups I really loved is the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega set. If you know of anything similar let me know! At the moment, I'm thinking maybe Dimarzio Titans?

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

Some info on current issues with the dactivators and what you are trying to achieve would help everyone make more precise suggestions. I have 3 mahogany 7 strings. 2 of them have a Nazgul/Sentient combo and I like them a lot. The nazgul has a bit of an upper mid spike but I’ve been able to tame it. It definitely provides some CRUSHING chugs. The sentient is very popular but isn’t my favorite neck pickup but it is gets me by enough to keep in my guitars. It’s cleans are very nice though. I’ve found the nazgul sort of similar to the dactivator, just my experience.
    I have a dactivator in a mahogany 7 as well and love it.
    I previously had a titan set in my Chris Broderick USA Jackson guitar with a Floyd rose trem and did not like them at all. I could not tame the upper mids and highs in that particular guitar. I swapped them up for Ragnaroks by BKP and had better results This guitar in particular has a weak tone, I can’t even tell you if I dig these pickups bc if they were in a different guitar I’m sure they’d sound huge. In this one, not so much. The lead times are very nice, cleans and split sounds are nice as well, but the chugs are super weak and so are the pinch harmonics when compared to the Nazgul. This is all my opinion based on my guitars though. Let us know what time you are searching for and what’s wrong with your dactivators.

Hogie34 and PatientMental76 like this.
  3. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

to be honest i'd just get another pair of alpha omegas i've found in mahogany and limba they sound different but have similar really favorable characteristics. That set is personally my favorite SD pickup at the moment.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Love that guitar!

Dimarzio Titans are in the general ballpark of Duncan Alpha/Omega but a touch different (a smidgen more bass and a bit more mids, slightly less highs). I think they are probably a good option because they will give you something similar (good clarity, tight, articulate) but provide a different sound than the Alpha/Omega, assuming you want something that isn't just the Alpha/Omega again.

Joshua likes this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

1. What tuning?
    2. What amp?
    3. And what don’t you like about the D-activators?
    4. What kind of music?

EMG 57/66? Super clear
    Fluence - My current fav, actives with dynamics
    BKP Impulses if you’re tuning super low and want unparalleled clarity.

@zimbloth is really good with matching pickups to guitars.

MerlinTKD and Joshua like this.
  6. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

Maybe I should have been more specific :~)

-I'm playing in Drop A mostly, sometimes a little lower if I'm in the mood.
    -Amps vary, I play around with a bunch of stuff.
    -I'm not a fan of the compressed, EMG-esque sound.
    -I play mostly progressive metal/rock, and do some ambient stuff here and there.

I think I may go Titans if they are decently similar. The only experience I have with them is a set a played that was wired incorrectly so I couldn't really get a good feel for them.

I like articulation, and I like pickups that have that upper-mid spike because I don't really ever use a boost going into my amps.

Purelojik likes this.
  7. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

my experience with the titans on a 6 tuned to drop A is that they are too 'airy' and hollow sounding. don't know how the extra width and coil structure on a 7 affects this but I def won't buy another set. it's not to say in isolation they didnt sound good to me, on the contrary i loved the sound but when I record i just couldnt get them to sound right with my mixes. might be user error but since i went with the Alpha Omegas i almost havent had the need to tweak EQ at all. i'll admit in standard tuning they destroy.

Here's my 6 in standard tuning with the titans no in daw EQ, high and low pass using the Fball amp (mids increased to compensate for the natural scoop) :
    https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/burl-maple-standard-tuning-metal-v2

Heres the A/o in a similar bodied guitar with A/O's
    https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/seymour-duncan-mrak-holcomb-test-mix-no-eq

thats with the REV RED in the helix no in DAW EQ i have one EQ block on the helix and high and low pass on the impuse. im making a 7 string for myself as a tribute to FF7 remake coming out in march so i'll likely be putting in a set of A/O's in there too unless i decide to do something completely different for that sound.

8. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

I didn't realize they make a 7 string set of the Alpha/Omega so I think I might go with that!

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I would also take a look at the Dimarzio Ionizer 7 set :yesway:

I have a pair in my 7620, which is more neutral-to-dark sounding than other RG's I've had. I've also had a D-Activator set in that guitar before and the Ionizers seem to solve all the problems you're having the DA set. Tighter, brighter, more mids/upper mids, and a bit less output for less compression and more flexibility. I really like the neck for cleans, and it can get really spanky/Strat-ish wired in parallel. I've had that guitar tuned between drop A and F# and the bridge pickup always delivers on articulation and can get super mean if you dig in with your right hand a lot.

I haven't tried the 7 string version, but I have a pair of Titans in another RG with a low A. The Titan is similar to the Ionizer in that it has more mids and is tighter than the DA, but it's voiced a bit more for specifically modern heavy tones IMO. Probably a good fit overall, but less versatile than the Ionizer.

10. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Like that dude said Nazgul tame it = golden

Sdrizis89 likes this.
  11. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

Third for Nazgul. Super bright and aggressive into a dark mahogany body? Absolutely brilliant. I've got a set of Dactivators in another mahogany guitar (although it's an 8 string) and somehow it gets too bright! Nazgul and Sentient has been absolutely perfect for me.

12. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

In a 26.5" scale B standard tuning I hated the Nazgul. It had this chalky sounding shrillness that no amount of aggressive EQ'ing could seem to sort out. The lows were as equally problematic for me as well, as the 7th string would "twonk" unmercifully. As such, I was about one paycheck away from swapping them out when I tried dropping from B to G standard. The sonic difference was night and day. All the Nazgul's standard tuning faults became immediate plusses, compensating quite nicely for the lows which would otherwise have translated into a sonic mud flood.

My unsolicited two cents? Avoid the Nazguls for B standard. Use them instead if you plan on going low.

13. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

I had 6 string Titans in a mahogany guitar, and didn't like. I posted here asking about replacements and was told that Titans are slightly tweaked D Activators. I don't know how accurate this is, but if you don't like the D Activators, maybe avoid the Titans initially. I would definitely look at the Nazgul if you like upper mid spike.

14. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I've got Nazgul and Sentient in Ibanez RGAIX7FM, which has mahogany body. Now I remembered why I didn't care about them too much. Upper mids are kind of clangy and metallic, which makes rhythm playing in low tunings tight but leads are shrill sounding. It's in drop-A and standard tuning, 9-46 + 56 strings.

skmanga likes this.
  15. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

Thanks for the info everyone. Probably going to pass on the Nazgul/Sentient then. I like some upper mid, but not so much that it defines the entire sound of the guitar.

16. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

7 string? Mahogany? Clarity? high mids?

Well... BKP Aftermaths... those sound just perfect in mahogany guitars :D

17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I second the aftermath, great pickups.

18. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

I'm so confused by the problems people seem to have with these pickups, I have to wonder if you're using the same amp settings you use with other guitars? When I first got my Nazgul/Sentient combo I absolutely felt the same way and thought it was a bit of a one trick pony, especially as I don't play crazily aggressive low tuned music.

But I setup some new patches and the thing is perfect, absolutely perfect. Incredible clarity on low tuned notes, but even with lower gain in a classic rock setting, it's BEAUTIFUL. Crunchy and articulated but still warm and full. You don't have to over compensate with high end like you do with other pickups and it makes amps come so much more alive.

I use it for leads, and I'm a massive John Petrucci liquid lead sound fan, but I literally use the Nazgul for 50% of my leads now. It bites, cuts through the mix like crazy, but it's still full and warm and just brings out the sustain of my notes. Even on the really high notes it doesn't get overly shrill. I think it just takes a different mindset to EQ, because you no longer have to compensate for the deficiencies of the pickup like you do with other sets.

Massively recommend this pickup.

XPT707FX, Sdrizis89 and KailM like this.
  19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:agreed:

I get the best soaring lead tones I've ever heard with my Nazgul. I am honestly flabbergasted by some of the comments I hear about this pickup. I mean, it has its quirks, but I get excellent tone out of mine for just about any style of playing. I also like how people here don't consider "B Standard" on a 7-string guitar" "low" tuning anymore. :lol: I tune to C#/Drop B and/or D Standard on a 6-string and have zero problems.

I think what it might come down to is that so many people are trying to get that "modern" sound so badly that along comes a pickup that is tailored for that, and combined with their typical settings on their rigs -- it ends up sounding harsh, clangy, and grating.

Turn the damn bass up, turn the mids down, set the treble conservatively and the Nazgul will melt faces.

20. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I would suggest the BKP Nailbomb/VH2 combo with ceramic magnet option on the bridge. Its one of the most consistently awesome choices for mahogany RG7s. The Rebel Yell is a really good one too.

If you want a more djenty style pickup like the DiMarzio Titan, you could look into the BKP Aftermath or Lundgren M7, but I would recommend the ones above. The Titan, much like the Aftermath and all similar pickups, sacrifice any semblance of warmth in its pursuit of clarity. The Nailbomb/VH2 and Rebel Yells have no such sacrifice.

Masoo2, skmanga and AkiraSpectrum like this.