Pickup volume bleeds into each other

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vinchester, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

There's a strange problem on my ESP. When I switch to neck position and turn the neck volume off, I can hear the bridge pup at about 20% volume while it should have been silent because the switch is on NECK position. This goes the other way as well with the neck pup bleeding into bridge position.

The pickups are BKP Rebel Yells and were installed by a Cardiff tech two years ago. I discovered this problem since not long after the change. I'm wondering if something's wrong with the switch, wiring or pots? (CTS 550K I got from BKP as well :spock:)

Any insights?

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Assuming a LP style guitar with the toggle and 2 volume pots? I would start by replacing the switch. I have also seen guitars where '2 independent volumes' are not completely independent too, it is the old way of wiring a gibby or something. Can't remember how the details of that work right now but I have done it by accident before :lol:

3. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice. The switch is a piece of shit lol it keeps getting loose so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the cause. I'll find some LP wiring schematics (it's my first time messing with guitar wiring!) and give it a try.