Pickup suggestions to replace BKP Juggernauts in a Duvell Elite 7?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by m107a1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Juggernauts don't impress me in this guitar. Thinking I want a bit higher octane but not full-on thrash. Ran through about 100 amp profiles in my Kemper with this guitar and nothing really inspires me. I searched the forum before posting this and found a lot of references to Juggernauts sounding "tubby" whatever that means, but no clear alternatives.

The body of this guitar is Mahogany Sapele back/Eye Poplar Top with Ebony fretboard and a Wenge/Bubinga neck. Most of these guitars come with SD Nazgul/Sentient pickups, but this was a NAMM show guitar so it has BKP Juggernauts with a flamed cover on them. Getting replacement pickups that fit under these covers is a must because the guitar doesn't look as good otherwise. I know, form over function. :p

edit: Tuning is A-E-A-D-G-B-E and I value clarity, versatility and depth of tone.

Anyway, I have the below pickups in other guitars so I'd like to hear ideas for stuff I don't have yet:

BKP Nailbomb/Cold Sweat (not super-happy with these either honestly)
    BKP Warpigs
    Lundgren The One 7
    SD Actives
    SD Pegasus/Sentient
    EMG 81s and 89s

Anyone got SD Black Winters in a mahogany guitar? How about Lundgren M7s?

[​IMG]

2. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

I'm curious, what is the scale length of your Duvell? I ask, because I am also currently looking to replace my Juggs. I am also in the camp of people accusing them of being "tubby". By "tubby", I'm describing an excess of low-mid that is proving to be very difficult to dial out without ruining the sound of the rest of the pickup. I have them in a 7 string guitar and blame it on a combination of 25.5" scale length, tuning down to drop Ab and my guitar having a wenge neck. Personally, I ordered a set of Fishman Fluence Modern pickups to replace them because I know how they sound & they're amazing.

That being said, I totally understand if you want to stick with BKP's. Your covers look to be pretty standard "Burnt Chrome" covers that BKP offers. I have messaged BKP about my issues with the Juggs & they suggested either the Painkiller or Black Hawk. I have personally owned both of these pickups at one point & can totally see why they would suggest those sets. Those are also the only two sets of BKP's other than the Juggs that I absolutely love both the bridge and neck models. The Painkillers are a fully ceramic set, but don't let that deter you. They aren't harsh at all like Aftermaths & the ceramic neck is very unique. As for the Black Hawks, I'd suggest looking up Nolly's Alnico vs. Ceramic comparison on YouTube. I loved the Alnico bridge but I can see the Ceramic working well in your Duvell.

A set of Black Hawks with burnt chrome radiator covers would look amazing in that guitar........... just saying :cool:

3. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

IMO, the Lundgren sounds like what youre looking for. That being said, i would go with the Sentient/Peg set for a fat, full tone if the Juggs are too thin or bright

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only pointy guitars remain

can't help you with the bkps, my only experience is with the aftermath and c-pig (which is an excellent pickup).
    black winters in mahogany are killer, just check out the huge black winter thread on here. Lundgren M7s also play well in mahogany afaik. The lundgrens in my korina vader sound awesome. I love the bridge pup, the neck is just meh.

5. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

For a neck pickup, I would recommend the Black Winter or the Omega.

I think the Pegasus is horrible, personally.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I don't think you'd want a Pegasus, it's even lower output and less aggressive than a Juggernaut. The Pegasus is more neutral and polite. I really like the Pegasus when you get it to compress/saturate by adding a sufficient amount of gain (a little more than most regular pickups) but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

7. Yodel

Yodel Banned

Nothing beats a set of EMGs when you set the corksniffery and "clarity and string separation" aside, also this'd look great with the black chrome covers.

8. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Mahogany? Painkillers.

9. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

How would you compare the Nazgul bridge to the Pegasus bridge!
    Really aint digging the Nazgul in my KM7-MK2 too sharp and ugly.
    Was thinking of trying the Pegasus with the Sentient in the Neck as it seems to be the opposite of the Nazgul in a lot of ways!

I suggest you check out the Kiesel Lithium pickup.
    Recently replaced the stock bridge PU in a year 2000 Ibanez RG7421 that I got last November, really dig that pickup :)
    Crunchy yet articulate and clear!!

Good Luck.

10. FourT6and2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRlcdNHYDM

11. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Thanks, would the 7 string version differ much from the 6?
    Also curious what anyone on these boards has to say :)

EDIT: Why do you think the Pegasus is horrible btw?

12. FourT6and2

I'm assuming the 7-string version sounds similar to the 6. But I don't know for sure.

I have a few Duvells with various pickups, including the Nazgul. I put a Pegasus in one to try it out and I didn't like it. The low-end is loose and round. The mid-range is smooth and dark without any sort of growl. The highs are rolled off a bit. And the pickup doesn't have enough saturation or authority to me. It's just... bland. The description SD gives for it didn't really pan out to be reality for me.

13. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Checking out the vid you posted and I seem to be digging the SH-6 distortion and SH-5 Custom in second place more.

Back to the drawing board >___<

Thanks again!

14. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

i would just stick with the nazgul/sentient. I have those and tried looking for replacements but its clear from many people. THe duvells were made for those pickups.

15. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Warpigs are straight up savage. Might be a little too dark for a mahogany body though.

Nailbombs, Black Hawk or Painkillers might be a better match.

That said, I've heard nothing but great stuff for the Black Winters

16. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Thanks all! Narrowed it down to Lundgren M7 and SD Black Winter....soldering off the burnt chome covers from the Juggernauts to transplant on top of the new pickups.

17. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

If you do this, don't re-sell the Juggs. BKP specially winds their pickups to compensate for the tonal change adding covers causes. If you do this, the Juggs will not sound correct and neither will the pickups you put the covers on. There's also a good chance the pole alignment will be slightly off if it's a pickup from a different manufacturer.

18. Moo

Moo SS.org Regular

I agree on that one. I've tried it (and even uploaded it on youtube)

and tust me, the nailbombs sound so much worse in the duvell than the video suggests :ugh: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI-FFTXHmsw&ab_channel=braunbärmusik)