Pickup suggestions for Open Tuning?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Hoss632, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

So now that I have my main guitar that I own dialed in with a tone that I like, I'm thinking that I want to get a 2nd electric to use for open tunings. DADGAD, Open C and what not. Anyone have pick ups they would suggest that sound great when doing big open chords? For reference the guitar I have now has emg 81/85's in it. I have played it in Open C before and surprisingly the 85 didn't sound all that bad. But I'd like to keep that guitar in Drop C#. I also would like for the set to sound good doing cleans as well as high gain. I know under gain stuff like the Alpha/Omega set sounds good in open tunings. I know Devon townsend primarily writes in open tunings so Fishman's could do it. But I'd like to stay passive pick ups for this if I can. Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air norton seems like another combo that could work, though I hear when you get down into C or below tunings they get a tad muddy.

2. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Step 1. Buy a new amp if your main amp is a Fender Mustang shown in your pic
    Step 2. Delete this question

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

uhhh basically any pickup I've tested in my shootout thread would do what you want barring the parallel axis distortion and super distortion 3.
    I tune BEADF#B and lower (sometimes down to F#EADF#B) regularly so all of those pickups get the "can handle low tunings" seal of approval.

elkoki likes this.
  4. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

1. No the fender in the picture is not the amp I am using. 2. delete your response 3. have a nice day

broj15, akinari and budda like this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Mustangs sound fine.

OP, most pickups would be fine.

6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Awesome. I'll just go with what sounds best to my ears then.

7. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Good to know. Your thread is definitely extremely helpful.

8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Most pickups will be fine. In my old band I played in DADAC#E and have used everything from PAF, vintage, and "hot vintage" pickups. Examples: I had a fender vintage hot alnico humbucker (pulled from one of thier blacktop series guitars) in my RG570, the stock pickups in my Peavey T60 (no idea what they're comparable to, but they read at ~8kohm on my multimeter) and the MMK stamped stock pickups in my Aria pro II TS500 (vintage knock off of the original DiMarzio super distortion. Pretty sure these were manufactured by Maxon back in the 80's. They read at ~11kohm which is lower than modern super distortions, but that could be because they're ~40 years old at this point).

In my experience lower output pickups typically have better note definition/"string separation" which is pretty crucial when you're playing big chords in an open tuning, especially when fretting just a couple strings and letting the rest ring out. I'd imagine a set of the ORIGINAL fender wide range humbuckers would be perfect for this. I specify the originals because the modern reproductions you see in guitars like the tele deluxe/'72 thin line tele deluxe are just PAF style humbuckers with alnico magnets and not the old design with the CuNiFe magnets (the main contributing factor to the WRHB sounding so good). They're pricey but Curtis Novak & Electrical Guitar Company both make very faithful reproductions of the original WRHB design.

Edit: looks like fender actually started reproducing the WRHB with the CuNiFe magnets, but at $200 a pop they're still pretty pricey.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Hoss632 likes this.