Pickup Set for Djent and Deathcore

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Augury, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ShreddingDragon

ShreddingDragon Silence the discord

I can +1 the Crunch Lab/LiquiFire duo at least. BKP Aftermaths should be great too, probably even better for djent. Still waiting to get mine installed...

And I'm sorry for off-topic, but: yeah, developing one's own sound is definetly a top objective for all guitarists, but if I never attempted to mimic great tones like Petrucci or Vai for example, I would have no idea how to achieve any tone. There's no shortcut to knowing what kind of a tone is good or fitting for the job. Sure I could dial a tone that I think is "awesome", but without experience and perspective, I might not be aware that the tone actually sucks balls. This is pretty standard with beginning guitarists, we all know that from some kind of experience.

Trying to copy already existing sounds gives you the "building blocks" of tones, and shows them to you in a real context.

2. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Guys, I don't wanna strictly djent, I said I play djent because I often play Veil of Maya and BoO stuff, the main genre the pickups will exist for is Deathcore and Death Metal.

3. xMaNgOxKusHx

xMaNgOxKusHx SS.org Regular

:agreed: All of these ^^^ mentioned are incredible, high-quality pickups that suit your needs. I have a calibrated Painkiller set in my mahogany JRV. I play mostly death metal (and combined "djent" from time to time :rolleyes:) And no other set 'feels' better than these IMO. Extremely recommended, last thing said assuming you are willing to spend just a little more currensy for something of better quality. My :2c:.

4. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

What he said :metal:

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I had a friend with cold sweats in his 7620. I remember them being very very very articulate as he plays way faster than anything I could even imagine doing. I also remember the cold sweat being a very very smooth pickup in the neck position from what I heard when he played. I really don't remember anything all that special about the cold sweat as a bridge pickup but that may also be a result of his particular playing style. I never used either pickup personally.

6. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

The SD Custom is a great passive humbucker, I can recommend it for probably any kind of metal/rock. It's very high output, probably hotter than a crunchlab/tonezone..

7. Phil-Centralia

Phil-Centralia SS.org Regular

I'm not wanting to be ignorant or rude, but saying "tele" is shallow because it is only a guitar model, what must be looked upon is the gear within the guitar and the wood type.

I wont argue much into this, as i dont have the knowledge about gear as most of the member here, but what defines music, is not the model, it is the tone that matters.

Knowledge is gathered through testing, what i would recommend is to go to a shop and asking which guitars have the gear that you are looking for, go through many instruments and watch which one has your desired tone.

8. oliviergus

oliviergus Djentiver Gustafsson

Hm, VoM and BMTH.

I know that Lee Malia from BMTH did use/use BKP warpig. And that should be a good pickup for deathcore. Otherwise i'm using BKP aftermath right now, fits both deathcore and djent, and that was what I was looking for.

Sometimes I think that it was wrong putting a AM in a mahogny guitar tho..
    Might should have gone for a CS.

9. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

This or a D-Activator. I loved the Custom when I had it in my S470DXQM, but I traded it for a D-Activator just to try something different, and I love that pup as well. Plus they won't break your bank too hard either :metal:

10. IAMTHESQUALL

IAMTHESQUALL Member

ATB uses blackouts on their 8 strings, they're sponsored by Seymour Duncan.

11. Inferno_dante

Inferno_dante Member

I use the crunch lab liquifire set and i think they sound great but i have never tried BKP so i can't comment on them. I originally got the CL/LF set because i wanted something good for metal but versatile as well (also being a huge JP fan may have helped) Both pickups seem to have quite a bit of bass but its not that muddy bass that you get from say stock ibanez pups. They are the only after market pickups that i have actually tried so i cant say they are better or worse than anything else but i really love the sound i get through my pod. And make sure you get the liquifire too, i couldn't want anything more out of a neck pup.

12. MyNameIsMax

MyNameIsMax SS.org Regular

Getting a crunchlab and liquifire is a really good way to go. If you want a little bit more heavier tone, get a d-activator instead of the crunchlab. I really love both of those pickups. If you want active pick-ups, get Blackouts. I have then on my 6 and they are just amazing!

13. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

all of the bands you have listed so far Use or have used EMG's or Blackouts and Whenever I have seen someone looking to get a death metal tone one of the first things suggested is an 81. EMG's are not bad pups at all especially if you play mostly metal andthey do cleans just fine.

14. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Guys, this is a major bump from 2011...

15. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

^ seriously, the last time the OP posted something was almost a year ago