Pickup Set for Djent and Deathcore

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Augury, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Hi,
    I need some pickups since my stock ones suck alot.
    I will mostly play Djent and Deathcore. My axe is Epiphone Goth Explorer. !!! 6 STRINGS !!!
    Should I just buy EMGs 85/81 or Blackouts? Or some passive pickups?

Thanks!

2. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

I use blackouts in my Rg7321 and while they're awesome for deathcore they tend to sound kinda harsh for djenty stuff (they seem to be a little bit too sensitive, I'm gettin' a lot of string-scraping kind of sounds while "djenting"). I'd rather use something passive like a D-activator :yesway:
    The perfect pup for this kind of music if you don't wanna throw out a lot of money for a lundgren or bareknuckle.

3. youshy

youshy Curly-man

If I were you I'd go with D-sonic/Crunchlab, I've got CL in my Ibanez and it's really djenty.

4. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

BKPs. Aftermaths, Painkillers, Cold Sweats.

5. b1gm3

b1gm3 SS.org Regular

Periphery use the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo a lot. And various Bare Knuckles. Tosin Abasi a la Animals as Leaders uses EMG 808x pickups although personally I prefer the tone of Periphery.

6. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

sorry for my useless reply,but i think that everybody around here should stop copying guitar tone from djent and whatevercore bands,and starting developing their own guitar sounds.anyway,i heard a lot of good things about djent and BKPs.

7. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Developing own sound with stock Epiphone pickups is pretty hard man xD I need something to start with.

Ok I find the Crunch Lab cool, I'll only buy a bridge pickup and leave my stock on neck there. Good idea?

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

Any particular voicing you going after, OP?

9. Konfyouzd

I agree to an extent. I think it's silly when people post threads asking... "What pickup should I use for djent?" completely ignoring that the voicing on the pickup is more important being that 100 "djent" guitarists could potentially djent using 100 different voicings... :shrug:

10. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Man, I really have no idea which pickups i should get, that will be my first pickups other than stock ones. I said which music I want to play and which guitar do I own, the only thing I need now is which pickups will fit to this genre, which are worth the price and which are recommended.

11. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Something like Veil of Maya, After The Burial, Bring me the Horizon (on the album Suicide Season at least).

12. Konfyouzd

Well the reason I say that is because I've used pickups that are classified as "Vintage" to do things far beyond the scope of what most people would consider "Vintage". Thus I find a lot of the nomenclature to be arbitrary and a lot of the terms are just buzz words used to sell you shit. :shrug:

The BKP Emerald, for instance... Vintage Hot pickup according to their site... One of the heaviest sounding fucking pickups I've ever heard. How many times have you seen the pickup recommended on this site to a metal player? They won't bc no one here has "djent"ed on it yet and plus its classified as a "vintage" pickup. How could you possibly play metalz on that? :nuts:

The voicing matters a whole lot more sir. This is why I asked my question.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with either of those bands... Youtubing... I'll be back.

POST EDIT: The BKP Emerald will do that... The Dimarzio Blaze Custom would also be another good choice... Much cheaper as well.

POST POST EDIT: You're on a 6er... Nevermind... I don't know... Try the DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton... :yesway:

13. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Well:

Something like that.

14. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Haha yes, I should write it in the main post, I'm sorry. So, how about DiMarzio Crunch Lab?

15. Konfyouzd

Never played it. Sounds like you want something high output... The Evo and the Tone Zone are pretty well known pickups that fit that requirement... From what I hear the Crunch Lab sounds like a X2N/Evo hybrid... Or perhaps I've mixed it up with another pickup...

16. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Well, the DiMarzio Pickup Picker said Crunch Lab or D Activator... The Evo Pickups sound interesting too.

Something from other manufacturers too?

17. Konfyouzd

I'm really only familiar with EMG, DiMarzio and one BKP

I use the EMG 81/85 set in my RGT42DX but I don't play djent/deathcore so I can't really comment on them in that context. But they work well for metal in general in my opinion.

Also, not that those are bad options, but be wary of the DiMarzio pickup suggestions... They have also been known to suggest the Air Norton as a bridge pickup and most people I know that have tried that don't like it. Again, that doesn't mean they gave you bad advice this time; I've actually heard great things about both the Crunchlab and the D-Activator. I use the D-Activator 8's in my 8 string but I hear these are a bit different from the 6 and 7 string versions. I have played the D-Activator 6 string versions in the Ibanez Xiphos, though. I think they're okay, but they're certainly not my favorite pickup... I consider them... "Usable"

18. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Well, I know I can't 100% trust any generators, suggestors etc. but I also heard good things about Crunch Lab too, they are actually on the top of my list.

19. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

Well, that'd be EMG's and EMG's if I remember correctly. :yesway:

As for After the Burial, I believe their last album was a mixture of EMG 808's and Dimarzio Blazes, though I think I remember seeing some fluorescent green 8 string blackouts recently.

20. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

I agree 100%. I mean you see guitarists using Teles for metal all the time and they sound killer. Just goes to show you can pull off metal really well with "vintage" gear.