Pickup recommendations for Ibanez RGD7UCS

TrappedInACorner

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an RGD7UCS (https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RGD7UCS).

Its a great guitar, I like everything besides the pickups. I've heard a lot of good things about BKP pickups but this set in particular, the Aftermath 7, I don't think its for me.

I mostly play death/tech-death and some thrash. I feel the Aftermath really lacks some lows and perhaps lower-mids. Its pretty much ALL attack I feel, which is great but the highs can get VERY harsh at times.

I have tried different amp settings to try and bring some of that low end back, but even then I feel there is something fundamental missing in the lower/lower-mid frequencies. I find it hard to articulate.

Any replacement pickup recommendations would be welcome, they don't have to be BKPs.

Thanks in advance.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
If the Aftermaths are a bit harsh and you want more low-mid, the Seymour Duncan Alpha / Omega set is what I would recommend. The Nazgul is also good, but can still be a bit harsh on top and lumpy in the low end, kinda halfway between the Aftermaths and Omega.

I have the Alpha/Omega set in my two 6 string PRS guitars and have two sets ready to replace the Dimarzio Titan and Fusion Edge in my RG and RGDR.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The Titans are good pickups, they have great attack and are clear for chording. However, when compared to the Nazgul or Omega, they are decidedly thinner. They lack the low mid growl of the Omega and Nazgul. They can sound great for alternative through prog, but really do not kick hard enough for death metal, grind, or deathcore without some major EQ boosting of the lower frequencies.

Titans are solid pickups, but they just do not have as much umph to them as those two Duncan pickups with my Mesa setups (Triaxis / 2:ninety and Mark 525).

Excruciator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Assuming it's a single 500k pot and no compensation for no tone, it's little wonder it sounds harsh and thin. I know some people like the bump in the resonant peak, or need to run a long FX chain. I've done it myself, runing variations on 1 meg pots or no tone, particularly with Duncan 7 strings. In general though, some of the (particularly ceramic) BKP's tend to have a top end that can get out of hand or an unpleasant upward midrange shift without a proper load, especially on models like the Aftermath and C-bomb. To those that do so and are happy with the sound, I'm happy for you, but that's besides the point when OP is perceiving these issues.

It might be worth a quick swap to a 250k pot so the pickup is loaded closer to a value it was designed to work with, for the sake of a few bucks and a bit of quick soldering. If you want to be even more miserly/save time, you can just solder a 500k resistor between the outer lugs of your volume pot to lower it to around 250k. It really makes a massive difference to the voice and character of your pickup.

If the pot is already 250k, or has a resistor to compensate, feel free to disregard, the Aftermath is a very polarising pickup afterall and it wouldn't be all that uncommon to find it harsh even with a full load setup.

Mortargag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dimarzio Evolution 7. I haven't swapped a ton of pickups but this pickup made my sound come alive. I'm comparing to a bunch of stock pickups (Jackson, Washburn, Schecter) and a Screamin Demon.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Titans are good pickups, they have great attack and are clear for chording. However, when compared to the Nazgul or Omega, they are decidedly thinner. They lack the low mid growl of the Omega and Nazgul. They can sound great for alternative through prog, but really do not kick hard enough for death metal, grind, or deathcore without some major EQ boosting of the lower frequencies.

Titans are solid pickups, but they just do not have as much umph to them as those two Duncan pickups with my Mesa setups (Triaxis / 2:ninety and Mark 525).
For a DiMarzio option, I'd go for D Activators over Titans.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
It's an "off menu" option now, but the Dimarzio Blaze Custom would probably be a good fit here. It's got a fairly aggressive voice with a lot of lower mid grunt and nice articulation. It's definitely thicker than the Aftermath, but is still a great fit for the styles you mentioned.

I've been able to compare a handful of pickups mentioned above in the same guitar. Compared to the Blaze Custom, the EVO 7 is a little rounder on the bottom end and upper-mid focused, and the D-Activator 7 has a bit more bite and less of a mid hump overall.

I also think the BKP Warpig could fix your issues with the Aftermath. It has a great clarity/attack to it still, just not as extreme as the Aftermath. The main difference is how much more lower mids and bass it has. It's not a loose pickup by any means, but it will give you a lot more of a guttural punch.

Byle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never been disappointed with fishman fluence moderns