Pickup for semi-hollow basswood guitar?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by JEngelking, Sep 22, 2012.

1. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

So I'm planning to buy a semi-hollow basswood guitar, a Douglas guitar from Rondo that I really like the looks of. I have a Douglas 7 string that I really like, though the biggest issue I see/hear with lower priced guitars from their website is the pickups. I'd like to put a new bridge pickup in the one I'm planning to buy, since I think the neck will work fine for now for cleans. Concerning BKPs, I confirmed with Nolly that a VHII or a Mule would work well in this guitar, though I realized I neglected to ask if they would be good for particular tones.

I'd like to get tones ranging from Opeth to Dream Theater to Haunted Shores (basically somewhat gainy prog tones). The issue I come upon now is that I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop that much money on just one pickup. So now I wonder: is there something from Dimarzio or other, I guess one could say, larger and more mainstream companies that would offer such tones for this particular guitar?

Thanks in advance, any recommendations are much appreciated :D

2. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Forgot to mention: As for gear, for now I'm using a Mustang II amp with cab impulses (kinda lame, I know :squint:) but I'm planning to upgrade to an HD Pro sometime in the near future. As a benchmark for that particular setup, I really like the tones that Esteban Soto (eastguitar on this forum, I do believe) gets from his POD.