Pickup Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by H3ADLY, Aug 6, 2013.

1. H3ADLY

H3ADLY Member

Hey Guys,

Tomorrow marks the two year anniversary of my 1st BKP purchase. So to celebrate, I'm going to buy another! :lol: Or something else if recommended
    The guitar it will be going into is an Ibanez RGD420z into the bridge position. Specs are as follows;
    3pc Wizard III Maple neck
    Rosewood Fretboard
    Basswood body
    Jumbo frets
    Edge-Zero II bridge w/ZPS3Fe
    26.5 inch scale
    Playing through a Peavey 6505 boosted with a TS9 through an Orange PPC412.

I'm playing in a Death Metal/Core (Call it what you want) band, tuned to drop A. Check ENCELADUS | Pure Deathcore which is our latest release for an idea of what we are about.

As far as describing the tone I'm after... Balls. Big tight balls! It must thump hard! I want the front row of people at my next show to headless after the first song. Clarity is also a must! Crushing, punishing, tight, clear and FAT!

I have a Bare Knuckle Aftermath in my RG7321, which I love. The clarity and tightness of that thing is spectacular! But I'm after something a bit more crushing! My thoughts at the minute lean towards the Warpig. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Cheers for any help!
    H3ADLY

2. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

I was thinking warpig, then you said warpig. So maybe warpig?

3. H3ADLY

H3ADLY Member

Haha! Maybe! Did a good bit of research today and have found myself tossing up between the Warpig and Miracle Man. I think the Miracle Man is looking like what I'll go for. Tim from BK recommended either the Warpig or the Painkiller, but I think the mid-spike isn't quite what I'm going for from the Painkiller. Any experience with any of these pickups mentioned? Pretty sure I'll go with MM, but any more insight is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!

4. HanShock

HanShock SS.org Regular

Warpig+1
    If you have budget,try Lundgren M Series

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Warpig for days. It's my favorite pickup I've owned OR used, and it sounds killer through my friend's 5150.

I've got it in a guitar tuned to drop A and clarity/punch aren't an issue in the slightest :yesway: It sounds pissed off and brutal

As mentioned above, the Lundgren M would also be good. I had a pair of M7's in a guitar for a while and they were great, but had a different feel than the BKP. They aren't scooped, but they feel/sound that way because the bass and highs are boosted while the mids are left alone. I'd recommend the Warpig over the M series for what you're going for though.

6. H3ADLY

H3ADLY Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! After all that, I've decided to go with... The Black Hawk :lol: After hours of research, reviews, soundclips, emails to Tim from BKP and Nick (Zimbloth) from the axe palace as well as some thinking time I've decided to take the plunge! The Black Hawk seems to get me a bit of everything from all the pickups I've been looking at. Of course I'll only know when I get it! I'll be doing a before and after comparison when I have it which should be fun, and I'll write a review also.
    Thank you for all your input guys! It's been a tremendous help!
    Cheers!