Picks (Really)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by potatohead33, Sep 8, 2020.

1. potatohead33

potatohead33 SS.org Regular

Looking for recommendations. I have used red Jazz III XL's for a long time. Like them when broken in but they are too grabby on the string when new, makes triplets and stuff more difficult. They go from broken in to worn out kinda fast which bites, it would be nice to like something out of the pack.

So I thought I'd try some of the Flow 1.5's. Not bad, but I don't know if it's the bevel or the ultex, but they're the opposite, they don't grab the string at all, kinda feels like you're just deflecting off the string rather than picking it. They also sound a lot darker because there's no twang. They're also super stiff... But nice for leads.

Is there something in the middle? I have some JP Jazz III's which seems about right but they are too small. I have never tried the black Jazz III XL's because Amazon has sent me the wrong picks three times :facepalm:. A larger JP Jazz III would probably be about right.

Alex79 likes this.
  2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

The Petrucci picks are actually made of Ultex, so if you want something bigger I'd go with an Ultex Sharp in 1.5mm or higher.

In my experience, they're somewhere between a Flow or Stubby type pick and a Tortex in terms of attack. Smooth enough, but not so much that it feels like a piece of glass. And the pointed tip is perfect for fast leads.

lewis, Bodes and potatohead33 like this.
  3. potatohead33

Just realized I put this in the wrong forum

Interesting JP J3's are Ultex, I didn't realize that. They certainly grab the string more than the Flows but much less than the nylon J3.

I guess I will have to just try out a bunch of different ones which I was kind of hoping to avoid by starting the thread since I have to buy packs of them all. I should try the J3's in Ultex and the stiffos first I guess.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

..so you want a brighter jazz pick with some flex to it?
    Try the graphtech jazz iis then or the dunlop primetone series. The primetones don't have much flex but they're definitely brighter than a nylon j3.

if you're going bigger in size and want more durability then try a chicken pick or winspear shiv.

5. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Oh I actually didn't know the J3XLs came in Ultex.

Yeah, go with those! That's probably closer to what you're after.

potatohead33 likes this.
  6. potatohead33

Not really, basically I just want a JP J3 in the XL size

:cheers:

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

potatohead33 likes this.
  8. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

I like the Dunlop Tortex sharps.

dmlinger and c7spheres like this.
  9. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

10. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Same. I switched to Flow 0.73 recently. It's actually a pretty hard pick despite it being so thin. I've also tried fatter flows, and had the same experience - they're kinda "too smooth" and don't grab the string or whatever. Try the 0.88 too, they're also good.

I can also recommend Tortex Jazz III XL 0.88, and there are also really cool Tosin Abasi Primetone 0.73 picks, but they're expensive af and don't last long, but I highly recommend to try them.

potatohead33 likes this.
  11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

dunlop flows are pretty nice if you like a somewhat thinner flexible pick.

potatohead33 likes this.
  12. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I've had great experiences with Winspear picks, they're almost everlasting (maybe not the best business model :D) but being over in Canadia the shipping cost might be a little prohibitive for you checking them out.

13. potatohead33

Just to bring this full circle, I have pretty much settled on Ultex Jazz III XL's. The black ones are a nice middle ground between the red and ultex but they still grab the string a bit more than I want when they are new. Also for whatever reason the ultex just straight up feel nicer to hold and are less slippery. I do like the Flow 1.5's for lead stuff but not really for rythym. I will probably try some thinner flows too, but for now I feel these are an improvement over what I was using.

In terms of anything Tortex, I would try those too but I prefer the raised, bumpy grip. If they add that to the tortex line at some point I will give those a whirl too.

ImNotAhab and nickgray like this.
  14. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Good choice. I remember using them for a while, but I eventually bailed on them, I settled on the thinner Flow pick mainly because the joint on my index finger hurts a bit sometimes, and the flex on the thinner picks seem to help with that.

15. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Seeing as we're all talking picks; one time way back when, I was recording some tracks and the guy producing us said to use his little Jazz III pics insteaad of the "normal" size picks I was using, as it would make my playing/the recording "better". Not sure whether he meant sound, or playing etc. This must have been about 15 years ago.
    Is this true? Or is it literally just getting used to ANY new shape/size/style pick makes you more attentive of your playing style, and you correct any sloppiness in your playing?
    Or was it more due to the different thickness for example?
    Or is it a big bucket of snake oil in this instance?

16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I use the Tortex .73 and .88 Flows as well. They're perfect for me. I thought I'd miss the grip from the ultex ones but it ended up being not a big deal at all, and I liked how the tortex seemed to stay sharp for longer.

17. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

He makes really good picks, but the downside with a lot of those is the thickness, unless you like that. I'd love to be converted to the "artisan" picks that last for longer, but I just can't leave my 1.14mm Tortex Jazz III-s, no matter how many I go through. It's the thickness more than anything.

JimF likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

my choice of picks are -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

JimF likes this.