Picking out a pickup replacement for a strandberg

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by SurfingAlpaca, Apr 7, 2019.

1. SurfingAlpaca

SurfingAlpaca SS.org Regular

I bought a strandberg boden original 7 with fishman fluences in it. I don't mind the way they sound but they're slightly too active sounding for my tastes. I'm using them 80% of the time in the passive voicing and having to replace batteries is annoying so I decided I want to go back to passive pickups. I'm currently looking at bkp aftermaths or juggernauts but I have no idea if they are the ones that would work for me. I play prog metal and I try to emulate David Maxim Micic, Plini, Chon, and other similar artists so I'm aiming for something that can give me good dynamic range and that can work well with clean tones, split coil tones, and full modern metal drive tones (doesn't need to go full djent but think DMM's tone on someone else's hat). Please suggest any alternative pickups that I could get. I'm not experienced with swapping pickups so I'm super confused and don't know what to look for

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

I use the BKP Emerald in my Strandberg Singularity.

It works very well clean and takes distortion well. Good note separation and clarity.

3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Definitely you dont want the aftermath for what you are looking for. It's very dry sounding and Is good only for djent staccato riffing. The neck pickup is just a mistake.

The juggernaut can work or not depending on your guitar: if your guitar Is pretty dark sounding, stay away from them.

They are low mid focused with a characteristic "whac" on mids. Is something you may like or not.
    The neck pickup is cool and has a warm/liquid feel but you can still hear the attack of the notes.

4. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

My first Strandberg was the Boden 7 with the EMG707x pups. They were rubbish for anything but metal. I replaced them with a set of BKP Blackhawks. I like them. Much more dynamics and less compressed than the EMG's. They clean up and split nicely.

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Check the Ragnarok, great pickup with one of best split clean sounds among the humbuckers I own. Also has great dynamics despite BKP's marketing claim...