Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I'm keeping this thread alive even if it kills me! Lol kidding. Did some Astrophotography this morning.

Camera used: Fujifilm X-E3
    Single shot ISO @3200, 18mm @f/2.0 for 9 secs
    [​IMG]

Stacked image of about 7-8 exposures, all ISO @800, 15-25 secs each
    [​IMG]

2. belleswell

belleswell SS.org Regular

3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I know this is prob considered a fairly low-end rig to the pros here but I'm really excited that I finally got a decent camera after my Canon PowerShot SX30 IS bit the dust ( scratched lens). Anyway... I'm still learning a lot about this one and it'll take me a while before I'm any good with it but here she is and a couple pics that I've taken so far.

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 DSLR with 18-55mm f/4 STM lens
    Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III telephoto zoom lens
    Focus flash with wide/ tele lenses & 58mm filters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Sweet, DSLRs are lots of fun! Looks like a good camera.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  5. Isidore

Isidore SS.org Regular

We just came back from the Oregon desert. Purposely timed it during a new moon. Managed to capture this. Stack of 22 x 15sec images.

Light near horizons is Reno, NV about 300mi/480km away.

Nikon D5500, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, edited in PixInsight, Lightroom, Photoshop (1st image of the series for the mountain). IMG_20190714_105722_253.jpg

6. Isidore

Isidore SS.org Regular

Also managed to do this one..

7. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Took a day trip to Osaka, Japan! I was able to see the castle and the amazing Dotonbori!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Isidore

Isidore SS.org Regular

Dig em! I love that 1st one the most.

feilong29 likes this.
  9. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Thanks bro!

I took a day trip to Odaiba, Tokyo with my girlfriend and put the good ole Google Pixel 3a to use. I love this phone and it's camera! Gets the job done, I would say. I am definitely a bigger fan of the Original Mobile Suit Gundam, so only backshots for this dude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] '
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

@feilong29

Awesome shots of Dotonbori my dude! The lighting and colors of the first few make me think I should be listening to some Synthwave or something while looking at them.

Also digging the Lamp Room shot - man I miss Japan.

11. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Thanks bro! Dotonbori is just an awesome place, but I wanna go back with some better settings and get some sharper images. I'm like a kid in a candy store living in Japan! I'll enjoy it as much as I can because I know I'll miss it when I have to leave.

R34CH likes this.
  12. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Took a day trip to Kyoto in November, and then a short trip to the Tokyo Skytree. Thanks for checking.

Gear used:

Fujifilm X-E3
    Fujinon 18mm f/2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Furtive Glance likes this.
  13. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

So I took a quick / short trip to Tokyo a couple weeks ago. I also spent one night in Kawaguchiko among the 4 days I spent in Japan. Kawaguchiko is a famous onsen town right at the foothills of Mount Fuji. Hope you enjoy this video as I visited a famous park / shrine where Mt. Fuji is in full view. :)

For those who interested, I used some brand new gear for this video; as it was shot exclusively on a GoPro Hero 8. I also color graded it on DaVinci Resolve, but made a mistake by not editing on it. Rather I did the editing on the older PowerDirector, hence some video noise. :facepalm:

Isidore likes this.
  14. Isidore

Isidore SS.org Regular

Taken 1.8.20

Nikon D5500
    Celestron 6" SCT
    20 images stacked and wavelet sharpened
    2 raw images for color

FB_IMG_1578622476186.jpg

15. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

One of my local Walmart’s has a couple canon eos rebel t6’s with a 18-55mm lens for $299. Brand new is this a good deal or would it be better to find a d7000 used? I had asked a while ago about a beginner setup to grow into but just wanted to get some thoughts.

16. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Sounds like a really good deal for a beginner set up, but a D7000 would yield you some better IQ (if I recall correctly), but as many say, it's all about the glass, not the camera. How much are used D7000s these days?

17. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Based off eBay they look to be around $3-400+ but that’s all depending on what you get with them.

18. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i've been altering my gear drastically over the last year. i've gone from mostly zooms, to mostly primes now, added another camera body, and moving things around.

i went from:
    Pentax K1 body (main)
    rokinon 14m 2.8
    pentax 24-70 2.8
    pentax 31mm 1.8
    pentax 50mm 1.4
    pentax 77 1.8
    sigma 85mm 1.4
    pentax 100mm 2.8 macro
    tamron 70-200mm 2.8
    tamron 70-300mm variable

and now, i'm at:
    Pentax k1 body (main)
    pentax 31mm 1.8
    pentax 50mm 1.4
    pentax 77mm 1.8
    sigma 85mm 1.4
    pentax 100mm 2.8 macro
    pentax 200mm 2.8 prime
    PLUS
    Sony A7rII
    Rokinon 45mm 1.8
    rokinon 135mm 2

i think i'm at a happy medium now with my gear. i may get rid of my 50mm as i hardly ever use it, though its a great focal length on FF camera bodies. and i REALLY hate the 70-300 lens, but it seems everyone else hates it equally, and i cant get rid of it...

i'm not really liking the sony as much as i thought i would. it is very cumbersome and requires more work than what it offers in return. very finicky. plus, the dynamic range is inferior to my pentax. I do wonder if i should sell my sigma 85 for my pentax, and pick up that same focal length in sony to take advantage of eye autofocus on portraits though.

though i enjoy the hefty weight, and weather sealing, and build quality and feel and usability of pentax, plus its MASSIVE battery. the sony eye autofocus is neat, when it works.

now i need to figure out how to update my software on my sony to be up to date.

gnoll likes this.
  19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Nice! My dad is thinking about getting the K-1, but he can't make up his mind, haha.

Primes vs zooms is difficult, I really like primes more but sometimes a zoom is really handy. I just got a wide angle zoom that I plan to use for travel and landscape stuff (if this stupid virus will ever allow me to travel again, lol...) but my favorite lenses are a 150mm f2.8 macro and a 20mm f1.8.

I'm also still using a big chunky DSLR. I know the newer mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter but lenses are often big anyway and I like the feel of a bigger camera in my hand.

soliloquy likes this.
  20. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

tell him to get the k1, or the k1m2. phenomenal cameras that are built like tanks with great image quality and dynamic range, and great low light performance. he wont be disappointed. and with plenty of lens options with legacy lenses, or the offerings and third party support.

my philosophy on landscape has changed drastically in regards to landscapes. I initially started off with landscape, and have gravitated towards portraits now, thus i may be using my portrait experience to landscape. previously, i was under the school of thought that the wider the lens, the better the landscape. i quickly found that wide angle lenses may capture the scene we are looking at, but its distracting as nothing in particular stands out. there is nothing particular to focus on or isolate.

for example, if i see a nice lighthouse, or a tree, a wide angle lens wont be able to isolate it from the background. Where as a telephoto can easily isolate a certain element and still be a landscape shot. in this regard, a wide angle will take a look at EVERYTHING under the sun. But a telephoto will look at a rock and isolate it from the surroundings.

alternatively, i also found that if, for whatever reason, i do want to capture a wider shot (say a mountain is my subject), and all i have is a telephoto lens, i shoot several shots and stitch them together for a panorama. this also allows to travel lighter. I once made the mistake of carrying about 8 or 9 lenses with me to a trip to Ireland. More than half the time, about 4 lenses spent time in the car (not recommended!) as the bag was way too heavy, and i was kicking myself for carrying so much.

this also works wonders in portraits as well, where you can make, say an 85mm lens look somewhat similar to a 135, or even a 200mm lens with a drastic background blur and subject separation. though this requires your subject to stay VERY still when you shoot around it