Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tank

tank SS.org Regular

i'm in love with my new 20mm f1.4 from sigma ART series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

That looks sharp as fack. Very nice.

3. CircuitalPlacidity

CircuitalPlacidity Carnivorous Jesus

Anyone had a chance to mess with the canon 50 f/1.4 on a full frame? I'm thinking about grabbing one soon. I had the 1.8 and it was a nice lens in my aps-c 20d for as cheap as it was.

4. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Crowd gathers to buy chestnuts from a street vendor

[​IMG]

5. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Would those be betel nuts? I had a whole day of talking about betel nut vendors in one of my fourth year seminars. :lol: (English major here.)

I shot a friend's band at a local pub last night.

[​IMG]FXT10124 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

[​IMG]FXT10183-Pano by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

6. Tang

7. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

It's been a long long time since I posted here.
    Good to see everyone posting great photos :)

Haven't done much personal stuff lately.
    This is the latest one.
    Just a portrait of my son with a subtle Christmas mood.
    I had a softbox facing 180 degrees away, pointing at the wall on the right.
    The idea was to fill the entire room with a soft light to match the brightness of outside.
    I was able to shoot wide open at 1.4 on my 35mm.

[​IMG]

8. CykkVii

CykkVii SS.org Regular

Took these while being in Berlin, unfortunately received my Canon FD f/1.8 just after going there :noplease:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

My glitter series has become so popular in a private photo Facebook group that I belong to that I'll probably be leading a workshop on how I get the glitter looks. I'm both nervous and excited by the opportunity. If anyone will be in Houston Q1/early Q2 of 2017 and wants to join in I'll send you details after I get everything squared away and booked.

10. Philligan

Whammy and Tang: Those are awesome photos. We need the like button back (what's happening to this forum?).

That's great, man. :yesway: Sadly, I live in Canada, so count me out. :lol:

11. ThePhilosopher

Thanks, I'm still in the really early planning stage, but I'm hoping it's a success. I'm trying to keep it small and worthwhile for the participants, but still cost effective as I'll have to rent studio space and such. One cost-saving measure is I'm thinking about making the post-production a video download for those that participated in the class - it would save rental time and give them a reference they could keep around and replay.

Some large files showing retouching work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Tang

Nicely done. You put way more effort into post than I do! Kinda glad I don't shoot models :) excellent work!

Having a grand 'ol time with this 70mm.. haven't done a single portrait :)

[​IMG]IMGP5992 by Scott Jones, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMGP5964-2 by Scott Jones, on Flickr

13. ThePhilosopher

That lens looks to be quite the performer, I dig it. That's an interesting crop choice for that second shot.

Honestly, I should probably spend a little more time to get the details just right especially in the beauty macro stuff. I probably should go back and remove the little hairs catching light above and below her lips, but it's not hyper critical and I think it looks slightly more natural leaving them there.

14. Philligan

The Chamber of Commerce has a local business event, where they have drinks/appetizers and a sort of meet and greet at a new local business each week.

My friends' hair salon was up last night, so I shot it. I haven't gone through all the photos yet, but they wanted a full group photo for their website asap, since they have a couple new employees.

I'm not thrilled with this, but it was really quick and dirty. I was at f/2 on the 23mm, and bounced a single flash against the wall opposite them, which wasn't very efficient because the wall is mostly window.

[​IMG]FXE20123 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

Originally they thought the guy on the far right was too far away, and wanted me to "photoshop" him closer. I don't even have Photoshop anymore, and wouldn't know how to do that even if I did, so I managed to do it with the clone tool.

Surprisingly enough, it mostly worked. :lol:

The original:

[​IMG]FXE20123-2 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.59.51 AM by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

I basically did one giant clone of him with very little feathering, and LR chose to copy a couple of the girls onto him. I moved the initial "clone to" spot out of the way, moved the source/"clone from" spot onto the guy, and then moved the "clone to" spot back and just a little over to the left.

If you look closely (I'm not sure if it's visible or not) the left shoulder of the girl beside him is missing, but since it's grey you can't really tell (it's a lot more obvious in colour). Other than that, I had to clone out the back edges of the original guy, and then just use the brush to dodge some spots on the wall where the light gradient was messed up.

Sorry for the terrible explanation, I hope that made sense. :lol:

15. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

I of course missed that shoulder; had you not mentioned it, I wouldn't have caught it.
    Now, your friends always amaze me in their style - and, I'm sure, lifestyles.
    What I mean is that their sheer expression in a group shoot like this is more catching than noticing this detail.

BTW, some lovely shots coming in here. I have a real hard time accepting the waiting time on getting back into photography, but it'll come by..
    Thanks for keeping me aroused, if may put it like this ;)

16. Philligan

My dad and I went to Cleveland in the summer and I finally got around to posting the photos. They were almost all JPGs (thankfully) so they just got dumped in a Facebook album. I took a couple raws outdoors, though, and edited the one.

This is me channeling my inner Tang.

[​IMG]FXE20321 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

17. Tang

^^^^ ha!

I need my Like button back!

18. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Ive been pondering the thought of selling my Mark III lately for an XT-2 or something else, but plunging onto an Art 24-35 and a Tamron 70-200 about 2 months ago has been stopping me. The dynamic range on the Canon has just been bothering me more and more lately with making me have to do extra work in post for shots, along with occasional focus issues.

Anyone have insight on options or input? I mainly do portraits, but do weddings and concerts every now and then as well.

19. Philligan

There are quite a few of us here who moved to Fuji. I can't speak for the X-T2 from personal experience (I'm hoping to get one in the next few months) but I own an X-T1.

Even on the X-T1, low ISO dynamic range smokes the 5D3. High ISO isn't quite as clean (I'd say there's around a stop of difference in real world use), but Fuji's noise is a lot more attractive. I use 3200 on jobs without thinking twice, and am fine with 6400 if it's needed.

Other than that, the colours are good, the SOOC JPGs are fantastic, and the handling is subjective.

The lenses are all fantastic, and look great wide open. Being able to shoot confidently at 1.4 helps make up for the smaller sensor in the Fuji. AF won't be as fast, but it'll be more accurate because it's all on-chip. Once you learn the AF system, it's very useable in low light (f/1.4, 1/125, 3200); you just need to learn to predict its speed. Personally, I'd take the tradeoff, because I prefer the extra accuracy.

20. Tang

channeling my inner... who the hell even knows. I sure don't know where it comes from.

[​IMG]the bar by Scott Jones, on Flickr