Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tank

tank SS.org Regular

UV/LED lights are PURE NIGHTMARE for live photography :(

2. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

It's true. :lol:

[​IMG]DSCF0251 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

3. Philligan

You can really see the moon tonight. I don't have anything longer than a 35mm, so I grabbed Dawn's SL1 with the incredibly ....ty 75-300. It doesn't have IS so I braced it against the porch railing and shot around 1/1250, ISO 800, and f/5.6 IIRC.

Even at 1/1250 and braced, it's still really soft. I think it's the lens. I'm gonna see if Dawn will get me the Fuji 50-230 for Christmas. :lol: I'd prefer the 55-200, but it's too expensive, and for the odd time I need a long tele zoom, this one will be good enough. Anything is better than the Canon 75-300 anyway.

[​IMG]IMG_0185 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

4. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Yeah, if it's still soft at 1/1250 it's probably the lens. I've done handheld moon shots with a 400mm manual lens at 1/250 and they turned out sharp. I always go for a slightly lower shutter speed by the way, 250-500ish so you can lower the iso (the moon is super bright so 200 works) and f8-11

5. UnderTheSign

Well then, some lessons learnt in medium format concert photography:

It's a b*tch to focus on fast moving objects :lol: (everything seemed sharp through the VF)
    [​IMG]Bölzer by Red Menace, on Flickr

It's a b*tch to expose properly when the stage lights are all over the place :lol:
    [​IMG]Bölzer by Red Menace, on Flickr

T-Max 400 is pretty cool when pushed to 3200 but I want more grain!
    [​IMG]Bölzer 1 by Red Menace, on Flickr

6. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

More photo-dumping from Sunday.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8D+2 Stop ND Filter: ISO 100 1/200s f/2.8

[​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8D+2 Stop ND Filter: ISO 100 1/100s f/2.8

[​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8D+2 Stop ND Filter: ISO 100 1/125s f/2.8

Compression is killing this one.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8D: ISO 100 1/160s f/5.6

[​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8D: ISO 100 1/160s f/4

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Adore the colours in that shoot!

Got married a couple of weeks ago, here's a few of my favourites from honeymoon. Wasn't particularly happy with the quality of most photos I'd taken away, but managed to get a few cool edits out of these.
    All on the 600D with my Sigma 17-70 (my only lens). I really love having this single zoom lens for walkabout. Feeling like I could do with a little longer on both ends though, with a small pancake for wide angle shots.

Holkham beach - a bizarre setting of fields, lakes, and pine woods next to a huge sandy beach (no good shots of that sadly haha)

[​IMG]Bear Silhouette by Tom Winspear, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Beach by Tom Winspear, on Flickr[​IMG]Tree by the Lake by Tom Winspear, on Flickr[​IMG]A Girl and Her Dog by Tom Winspear, on Flickr[​IMG]Pinecone by Tom Winspear, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Grass by Tom Winspear, on Flickr

8. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Pics like this once again reminds me that I really should've bought that Russian mirror lens back in the days: 1100 mm f8! - believe it or not, 42 mm thread mount. And dirt cheap too.
    And should not have sold my heavy sturdy Gitzo tripod - which I even got for free (one leg was clogged, easy fix).

Will try to dig out some pics from my days as a free-lance photographer; I have a large box down the basement. Hmnn.. apart from the paper copies, it's all neg/dias chemical films and I wonder how well my HP printer scanner will do here..
    Probably shouldn't have stopped shooting at all.. :nuts:

9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

Thanks Tom, I'm always searching for ways to keep my post refreshing but still look like my work.

I did my normal color corrections and DnB, but then I used a selective color adjustment layer that I normally use to darken greens but set it to soft light instead of normal for the blend mode and it just made everything pop (as would be expected using SL). I finished by adding some haze and graded with some X-Pro+Ektachrome E100G settings I've mapped out.

Congrats on the nuptials, who isn't always wanting something a bit wider or longer? The grass shot is quite nice.

10. Philligan

I'd love to have tried that with an 800mm, mirror lens or not. With a tripod and the shutter speed you'd be using, the photo would probably turn out great. Those lenses can't be softer than that Canon lens I used, and for posting to Facebook, who cares? The photo I took was cropped pretty heavily and doesn't look great in full screen, but it's perfectly fine for web size.

11. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

12. Philligan

13. UnderTheSign

Going to Brussels tomorrow and I've got a big travel bag on wheels filled with stuff.. Half of that is photo gear... ~15lbs of it :lol: X-Pro1 with 18mm, 55-230mm, Jupiter-8 50/2 with L39 adapter, Pentax KX with 50/1.7, Bronica SQ-A with 150/3.5, 40/4, chimney finder and a spare 645 back plus my YN560IV flash, trigger (super small and super great for the money!) and mini tripod.

Man, I've never been this glad I bought a bag with wheels... Never would've carried this, I would've ended up making decisions on what not to take...

The Fuji is for most shots (I think, maybe just the gigs at night I'm attending), the KX for daywalking, Bronica for hopefully some portraits and architecture stuff on 6x6 T-Max 400 with the 40mm. I'm travelling with 4 friends and staying in a budget hotel so I hope I find the time to do some cool low key portraits.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

okie folks, so i just came back from a trip to UAE for vacationing and visiting friends. i gotta say, this was a very interesting trip for me. normally speaking, ive always been a landscape kind of guy. its something i'm more comfortable with and really enjoy. it also includes architecture. one thing i've avoided for well over 10 years is portraits as generally speaking, people tend to annoy me.

yet, if i want to make any kind of side income, its something i have to get over, so i'm dabbing my hands at event photography with lots of fun and success.

yet this UAE trip added another challenge to the mix. it forced me to talk to locals there and get their stories. i've also been enjoying the projects such as humansofnewyork, humansofkarachi, humansoftoronto etc... so taking pics of locals and having their stories was a lot of fun. i'll be posting random stuff in a bit.

i do have a question for you all though. i'm looking for a more travel friendly bag to carry my gear. these are the bags i currently have:

this is a bag by 'goatstuff'. this is my walk about, go to bag. can store my body, at least 3 lenses and a flash, along with other smaller things. looks bad ass, but because its a messenger bag, it can get a lil heavy if i'm going for a long trip. i also love that it doesn't look like a camera bag, so less attention drawn to it.
    [​IMG]

then i have the tenba messenger mini bag. its light weight, and can store more stuff, but aside from camera equipment, it cant store much as it doesn't have enough room in it. i generally use it for longer trips, but due to it being a messenger bag, it can also get a lil heavy, especially if i'm traveling with my tripod. plus, it looks like a camera bag, thus draws a lil more attention for people with sticky fingers
    [​IMG]

then i have a bagpack that i use for traveling. has survived a few years and about 3 or 4 countries. can store a body, 3 lenses, and a flash, plus a jacket, and filters and lunch and more stuff. plus, it hardly looks like a camera bag.
    [​IMG]

now my travel bag is coming close to its life and i need to replace it.
    heres what i need it to store:
    a full frame body (i have a crop sensor, but upgrading to full frame in spring)
    at least 3 lenses
    at least one flash
    accessories such as cleaning equipment, filters etc
    a pocket or mechanism to hold a tripod
    enough room to hold a light jacket, and other small things needed for a hike around town
    light weight
    doesn't look like a camera bag

i came across one bag that i didn't get the name of that looked like a mountain-climbing-hiking bag, with a removable camera equipment bag inside it to shed the weight if need be.

any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

EDIT: found the bag. its adventure k5 bag. it comes in olive, burgundy, and black and i think white. a lil pricey though
    [​IMG]

15. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Alright guys, got some questions.

I haven't done any real shooting in a while, maybe ever haha, but my father in law wanted me to try out some lenses he had lying around, specifically an Sigma 2.8f 18mm aspherical. . . something or other. Anyway I have no idea what to shoot, or what this type of lens is typically used for, so let me know what to do haha

16. UnderTheSign

Well it's a wide angle, so maybe some Street photography, landscape or architecture stuff?

17. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I haven't been active on the forums at all lately, but it's great to see that you guys are still plugging away at it. Love to see guys like Rook and Joe going for that grainy look these days and as always, great photos regardless.

As for me, I haven't been working with the camera too much, but I recently was contracted to shoot some behind-the-scenes stuff for a TV production with some well-known and respected producers and directors. I heard through the grape vine that they liked my photos more than what their usual guy normally brings them, so I get the feeling I could look forward to working with them more, although I'll be relocating (to the other side of the planet) within the next 2-3 months. I'll share some of my shots when I have my hard drive on me.

18. Philligan

18mm f/2.8, or 28mm f/1.8?

I'd typed out a response, but chose to delete it. Honestly, I think it would be cool to go into a focal length with zero expectations or preconceptions. Seriously, you can't make mistakes in photography when you're just shooting for fun, so put that lens on and shoot whatever's around you. :yesway:

Personally, I find the most interesting shots to have people in them, because I like shooting people the best. So no matter what the lens is like, take it out with friends or do a shoot with a friend and see what happens.

19. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

Totally addicted to Capture One Pro. The color tools alone make it worth the price of admission. All three of these were taken with my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

[​IMG]

These next two were processed in capture one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. UnderTheSign