Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

It's a neat little camera! I've been considering getting an X-T1 or X-T10 for a while now though, both because I'm a gearwhore and because I'd like a faster EVF and autofocus. The T1 is a little expensive for my tastes however (just saw one pop up 2nd hand for 899... super tempted....) and I'm afraid the T10 might be too small or uncomfortable to hold, which (on top of handling in general) is part of the reason why I went from Olympus to Fuji.

If I were you though, I'd get an X-T10. One, it's compact so if it's going to function as casual camera as well, you'll have one that matches great with the smaller primes (18/27/35) and fits in your pockets a bunch easier. Second, the technology is pretty much the same as the X-T1 so it'll feel more similar when used as a back up.

On the other hand, feel free to make me an offer so I can upgrade to an X-T1 or X-T10 :lol:

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

One of the most appealing not things to me about Fujinis how the tech is so similar across all cameras really. Apart from usually-minor speed differences, handling is so similar. I did a wedding last year with a T1, Pro1 and E2 and it wasn't even slightly jarring an experience. Dead easy.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

If you're getting into Fuji's X stuff, get the XF90. It is just a sublime lens.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^also that, its one of (if not there) best lenses I've owned, IQ wise. I don't mean sharpness, though its crazy sharp, the images just look awesome.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

So one of my biggest complaints when it comes to photography - one of my most frequently used justifications for not doing it - is that I don't have anything to take pictures of, so I've been trying to get better at taking, what I think are, interesting photos of ordinary stuff around me.

Was playing around with the fact that the sun's so low this time of year today, been enjoying the process of trying to make an interesting picture.

[​IMG]Bracken 1 by Nick Howlett, on Flickr

[​IMG]Autumn Breeze by Nick Howlett, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tree Bark by Nick Howlett, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tree Horizon by Nick Howlett, on Flickr

...and this one I just really like how it came out:
    [​IMG]Guy Fawkes by Nick Howlett, on Flickr

6. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

That last one's incredible. :yesway:

I doubt I'll get any massive jobs before Christmas, but I should be getting more than enough Christmas commission to buy a new lens. Let's hope - I want something longer than 35mm for portraits. :lol:

7. UnderTheSign

Went out to find some birds in the late afternoon yesterday but the sky was grey and there were almost no birds to be seen...

The few that I did see were actually just a little too far away for the 50-230. Makes me curious about the upcoming Fuji 100-400! Though I wonder what it'll cost, considering the price of their competitors offerings (Nikon/Canon, etc).

8. Philligan

It sounds like it'll be in the $1500 range or more. It looks like you'll lose some aperture coming from the 50-140 but gain a lot of range, and the build and AF are supposed to be at least as good, if not better.

9. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

I work in a horrible town.

[​IMG]

10. UnderTheSign

I can live with 4.5 or 5.6, with ISO set to 1600 I should be able to get away with shutter speeds 125 and up.

Fuji auto/iso settings have been annoying me lately. I've set it to max auto iso 1600 (min 200), minimum shutter speed 1/30 because thats what I can handle handheld... Last night we were out and about and it was getting a little darker, so the camera figured 1/30 was too slow and simply overrode the minimum shutter speed, opting for 1/8 and even 1/4 instead. I'd rather it had just underexposed the image because why else would I set a minimum shutter speed?

11. Philligan

That's really weird. :scratch: I don't use aperture priority too much so I don't remember if I've come across that. Well, I use aperture priority sometimes, but if it's dark enough for shutter speed to be an issue, I just do manual with auto ISO and keep the shutter speed at something I know I can handle. Usually 1/125 because I feel like my 1/60 photos aren't as sharp, even with the 23mm.

Out of curiosity, do you find the noise that bad above 1600? I have mine capped at 6400 for auto ISO, and I'm perfectly happy using 3200 on jobs, and depending on the situation, even 6400. As long as I'm shooting raw, the noise looks good IMHO and the sharpness and colour hold up. The JPG noise reduction is absolutely brutal and is probably my biggest complaint about the camera, which makes me extra sad - with how good 6400 is, I'd shoot 12800 no problem for personal stuff, but it's fairly useless to me because it's not available in raw. :noway:

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

My first try at rear flash during rain pic

[​IMG]

I actually rarely get rain on my weddings (knock on wood), so I havent get the chance to do it before, and the only couple of times I had, it was before I got my new speedlites so it was pretty hard to do with a optical slave flashes. Yay for radio trigger speedlites! :D

13. Philligan

That looks great.

Forgot to say, I got my camera back. :sharpie:

They fixed the sensor (remapped it I'm guessing, or did some kind of static flush), which I'm assuming was part of the "Pro Service Level 2". :lol: They replaced the warped USB door, may have replaced the SD door (it feels snappier I think), and actually regripped the entire camera, too. :yesway: If it weren't for a couple scuffs on the metal, I would have guessed they'd given me a new body.

Feels great to have a camera again. I'll hopefully post some photos soon of a small purchase I made recently (I was just waiting til I got this camera to shoot it).

14. UnderTheSign

For outdoors stuff in colour I don't like the 3200-6400 iso no, it gets a little too grainy for my tastes. Black & white isn't an issue but when shooting colour against a grey cloudy sky the noise doesn't fit the mood imo.

I'll stick to manual shutter speeds in low light from now on, gets me thinking about what I'm doing and prevents stuff like this from happening.

15. Philligan

Now that I can finally shoot it :lol: I picked this up on Sunday from Goodwill for $2. It's zone focus only, shoots in Program at either 100 or 400, and has a 38mm f/4. For $2, I figured I might as well start hoarding Fuji cameras. :lol: There were a bunch of ....ty Fujifilm AF zooms, but AFAIK the Fujica stuff is all made in Japan.

[​IMG]DSCF0067 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

And here are the controls. :lol:

[​IMG]DSCF0070 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

16. tank

tank SS.org Regular

17. Joe Harvatt

Yesterday for work I had to head down to a beach to test networking with two antennae. Took my camera with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

Second one is so good.

19. Joe Harvatt

Thanks mate!

20. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

Oddly enough, I prefer the first; though it would be even better with some front tilt.