Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Have any of you guys tried a d800 out? Im stuck between getting that or an eos 6d. I know the d800 has better image quality, but Ive seen a lot of reviews about focusing problems, which for something that would be my go-to camera for a long time, I want it to last as long as possible.

2. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

If you're worried about the AF on the D800, you shouldn't even be considering the 6D. Coming from a 6D user.

3. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Im not really worried, thats just what I saw from a lot of reviews. What got me was the bad customer support from Nikon. Just seeing the pros/cons to either. The difference in price isnt something Im taking into account since Im looking for something that will last a while and I want reliability

4. JeffFromMtl

Some more photos from my travels. I've only got 2 more full days here, which bums me out. I get the feeling I'll be back, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JeffFromMtl

I have no experience with Nikon aside from my ex's D3000, so I don't really know much about the interface or performance, but what I can say is that the 6D's AF system really isn't very good. It does the trick if you're photographing landscapes and portraits, but forget about tracking a moving subject. It's just way too slow and indecisive. If the price isn't much of an issue, the 5D mkIII might be what you're looking for.

6. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Thanks! Yeah I primarily love doing portrait/landscapes but I'll also shoot some shows from time to time

7. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Thanks a lot!! Seems like a fairly logical reason - and it does look good most times. I guess my main thing is, and this mostly extends toward the instagram world, is it's odd people tweaking photos when the technology is so advanced now it can look perfect, and some people (subjectively) "mess with it". That said, and as you pointed out, there are many beautiful and flattering examples of that technique in particular - especial in this thread. Just feels like it is overdone as so many trends inevitably become, and there are enough photos that don't really benefit from it, as you pointed out.

So, in conclusion, I declare the next trend to be inverted colors!! ...... Uh never mind.

Thanks again, Rook! Great photography by the way! :yesway:

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^Thanks dude! Happy to hep. And yeah, I find it funny that the closer we get to perfect, super high quality image reproduction, lots of people who consider themselves photographers don't want that and just wanna screw with things, hahaha.

I personally wouldn't say the D800 is 'better image quality' than the 6D, it basically only wins out on resolution to be honest, though it does so by some considerable margin. The 6D has a fantastic sensor, it's got crazy dynamic range and fantastic high ISO noise control, which (despite some of the previous responses here) I think beats the D800 outright on a pixel level - bear in mind though, these are all semi-pro bodies, so you won't see any of these differences outside of extreme conditions and/or pixel peeping. If the D800 sensor was as good as some people might have you believe; the ultimate compromise between resolution and noise control, why has it never featured in a pro body? D2X, D3, D3S (not D3X), D4, D4S... All lower resolution, higher dynamic range sensors.

For autofocus, the focus system on the 6D isn't incredibly elaborate, the whole time I owned mine I pretty much used the centre AF point exclusively, however there are a few things to consider when it comes to this, and there's a lot of marketing bullshit out there to cut through to boot.

If you're using fast primes and a thin depth of field, particularly for portraits, even if I had the most insanely elaborate, high speed AF system in the world, I'd still use a single small cross type AF point. You don't want to allow the camera to chose what you're focusing on in that situation, it doesn't know what eyes are or what you're trying to portray and how. The whole time you have time on your side, AF systems like that on the 5D MkIII aren't necessary and can just be a hassle, I find. I use 5D MkIII's at work and still just use the centre AF point. No matter how many times I try, I can't trust the AF system to know what I want to focus on. Now of course this is entirely my preference and shooting style, but it puts the rest of my comparison into perspective.

I shot the 6D for all manner of events and the AF isn't as good as a pro body (1D MkIV etc), nothing like, but when you compare it to a compact, a low end SLR or most mirrorless I've tried, that single cross type AF point in the middle is significantly more reliable. Think of how many people have used 5D MkII's for professional work and for how long, and the 6D is an improvement of that, my 6D was way more reliable in that sense than our 5D MkII.

Moving subjects? Wouldn't risk it. If I were shooting a lot of moving subjects I'd be waiting for the imminent 7D MkII frankly, the 7D's AF system was outrageously good for that haha. I can't comment on the D800's ability in this field having only used one reasonably briefly on stationary frames.

Comparing to the Nikon all round, Nikon I think actually offer a better range of lenses. You can get all kinds of focal lengths and speeds at any price point, and their pro batch is cheaper than the canon equivalent too. The 6D is a big lump of flimsy plastic, but the D800 certainly won't be too, the D800 feels like a military grade weapon by comparison.

There's also that D800 resolution, do you crop much? That could be handy.

Shoot any video? Forget Nikon hahaha.

Can you see the difference in colour cast between Canon and Nikon? Nikon is known for hyper colours and a slight green, Canon for softer colours and a slightly warm/gold cast. Neither you'd ever notice in isolation, but if you compared the two that's often what you'd see. I like the more vivid colours of Nikon personally but many don't.

Words.

9. japs5607

japs5607 SS.org Regular

Again. Thanks once again to Whammy and Philigan.

I took the shots on full manual mode at an ISO of 800. On an aperture of 4 ( although the lens goes to 3.5). Just bought an additional flash, not with wireless commander as yet, there is going to be another one in a couple of weeks, so hopefully give it a go with the new flash and see if that helps.

I looked into the Nikon 35mm lens and it's considerably cheaper £129 as opposed to the sigma which is £200 more. So maybe go down that route

10. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Thanks man!^ Great stuff right here. I sort of do prefer the softer colours Ive seen from Canon, but still want to try both out and see what would be best for me. The only video I shoot is for play throughs, so Im not needing it for anything fancy at all. Since I use a 16g card, I dont think Id necessarily need a second card slot unless Im going to be shooting at a festival or something. Ive even seen the 6d get pretty good live shots, so I know its not completely out of the question.

As far as lenses, I use my 50mm more than anything else with occasionally using the stock 18-55, but want to start using a 35, or even maybe a 24-70 to try out.

What I might end up doing is finding a shop around where I can rent both for a day and go out into the field to test them both out thoroughly. Im lucky enough that I only have my 50mm fx lens right now on my d3200, so I can easily sell it if I do decide to jump to Canon

11. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Alright, guys. I'm about a week away from ordering a camera, and need some guidance.

My budget is $500. I've been looking at the EOS M - I've watched a bunch if videos and know what to expect as far as performance goes. In this case, size and IQ are my biggest concerns, where it does what I want.

EOS M pros:
    -Sweet 22 f2 does what I want, and it looks like a point and shoot.
    -APS-C sensor, same as the 7D, so I know I like the IQ and I know how to edit the RAWs. I could shoot portraits with it and be right at home.
    -EF adapter in case I need.

The other thing I'm seriously considering is a Fuji X20. Smaller sensor = less IQ, but I love the handling and feel of it, and it's also tiny. The big draw of the X20 is the awesome Fuji in-camera processing, so I can do the three-shot JPEG bracketing shooting small JPEGs for B&W, portrait, and landscape looks. With an Eye-Fi card I can just send whichever JPEG looks best straight to my phone and onto Facebook. The downside is noticeably worse image quality - this is for vacation, going out with friends, and general carry, but the APS-C IQ would still be nice for portraits when I want it.

Opinions? Any other ideas?

12. Philligan

I didn't realize the 35mm was that cheap. Set your 18-55 to 35mm and see how you like that view. If you get along with it, that lens should get you the best image quality for your money. :yesway:

Definitely rent them both and try them. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it a few times, but I've got a 70D, and the guy I shoot for uses Nikon. I've used just his Nikons for a couple nights before, and on the last two weddings this weekend, I used his Nikons for shooting some portraits (with that ridiculous Sigma 35 1.4).

The biggest difference is how you interact with them. There are differences in colour and dynamic range, but that can vary as much from camera to camera as it can from brand to brand. And that's pretty much all based on sensor tech, which can and will change, so don't get too hung up on that. The IQ on all the semi-pro Canons and Nikons is great, and you should look at it more like investing in a system than buying a camera. Either get the one that has the lenses you want, or the one that you interact with better.

One thing I will say though, is the current Nikons spank Canons and low-ISO dynamic range. It's hard to recover shadows on a Canon without introducing a lot of noise, but you can pull shadows a lot with a Nikon. This is something I'd actually like for weddings, because it gives you more slack with your exposures, but I don't think I want it badly enough to leave Canon.

Check out the section in this review where he pushes shadows, and compares Nikon to the 5D3.

The Nikon D4S - Does It Not Live Up To Expectations?

13. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

14. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

Haven't been on the forums much lately. Here's some new shots I took trying out some landscape ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Philligan

Those look awesome, Joe. I really like the textures. :yesway:

For the X20 vs M, it's really down to form factor vs image quality. I like everything about the Fuji more except for the smaller sensor, and am trying to decide how badly I want the APS-C. I downloaded a couple raw files from the X20 and they edit pretty well, though. They get noisy more quickly than I'm used to (I grabbed a matching raw from my T3 to compare) and it looks like I'll lose a stop or two, but converting it to B&W, the grain does look nicer than the Canon. So if I'm doing JPG bracketing, that shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm really leaning towards the Fuji.

16. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

Thanks. I've been enjoying some 'roadtrip' style photographers recently so I think I might try some of that stuff for a bit.

I can't legitimately chime in on the camera choice argument, but for what it's worth I'd take the Fuji.

17. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

18. Philligan

Took some quick photos of a buddy tonight, I think I'm digging this one. This was with the Yongnuo and a cheap Cowboy Studio reflective umbrella.

[​IMG]IMG_2422 by philbabbey, on Flickr

19. Rook

Rook Electrifying

For the EOS M vs X20 thing... It's a tough call. I think the X20 might be more practical in that you won't be tempted to try and carry a bunch of lenses round and I've seen some crazy images come out of the X20 (I think it's pretty well known here how I feel about Fujifilm haha) but I totally agree the sensor isn't just small like the G1X, it's reeeeeally small. It all depends on your expectations of course, but if I could carry around something that would always produce top-class image quality over something that couldn't, I'd chose the first. The best camera is the one you have with you, sure, but if the one you have with you can be amazing I'd like it to be :lol:. If you're only gunna shoot JPEG though, I've always found Canon's JPG engine disappointing and the Fuji would win that hands down for me. I'd also cancel my EOS M focus griping if the X20 is the comparison, I don't think there's any clear winner, I've only ever held an X20 in a shop though hehe.

In England a used X100s would only cost you £100 more than a new X20, is that out of the question? That would solve all your problems :lol:

I try to keep my brand vs brand posts balanced, but I think diplomacy just turns my posts into vague waffle, I apologise for that. I get bored on my lunch breaks so like to type essays on camera forums.

EDIT: ah x100s used in America actually costs more than here, weirdly, $900! Sorry, count that out I guess.

How about the Fuji XM1? It's basically an EOS M with Fuji processing.

I can't say I too strongly agree with this as it in fact isn't quite as down to sensor tech as you might think - lets not forget that Nikon and Sony sensors are the same and their RAW files completely are not! Sony make all of Nikon's sensors without except and use basically all of them in their own cameras.

I also don't think one could say Nikon spank Canon for low light just generally speaking, just the D4S is the most recent body on the market - granted it really does lay the smack down (as does the A7S). I think there are plenty of demonstrations floating around internet land of the 6D and D610 where the 6D would appear to come out on top, and likewise the D800/5D3 comparison I made earlier. Of course your mileage may vary, and there obviously changes from camera to camera but there's more dialled into the processors which get reused a lot than perhaps some realise. Pulling shadows is a file encoding thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your fundamental point however that it is the decision is between systems as a whole and these differences seem minor, but they were un-minor enough for me to go from a full frame Canon to an 'inferior' cropped sensor Fuji system - the lenses aren't as good or as comprehensive but the way Fuji renders images was preferable to me - it was a sum of all the minor stuff I laid out in my previous post. My Fuji's slower, less compatible, not quite as good in low light, but I prefer the interface and images way more than any of that matters. I bought into Fuji despite the system, not because of it :)

As you say, all sort of irrelevant really as it's just the system you're most comfortable with and how you interact it. I keep expressing an interest in Nikon's pro bodies recently but in actual fact ALL the lenses I have access to are EF and our pocket wizards are Canon TTL (not that I use TTL) and so on, the Canon would be the more practical system for me and I wouldn't begrudge that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  20. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Wow, it's been a while since I've been in this thread. Y'all just keep getting better and better.
    I, on the other hand, have stagnated. I haven't taken many pictures at all recently. I took a few that I thought were halfway-decent when I went walking around downtown Mason with a couple of my friends. Here they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also I took this shot of my hi-hats and it's one of my favorite pictures that I've ever taken.
    [​IMG]