Petrucci 8 String Possibility? IT DOES EXIST!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
You know, it's not my usual tone, but I kinda like what they got out of it on this song. Kinda flubby but still well defined. Refreshing in a sea of ultra high attack "TWENK!" sounding 8 strings. I've only listened through my M50s though.

ekarinsm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought Petrucci did a pretty good job with the 8-string, considering he did basically the same thing when he first recorded with the 7-string. :lol:

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure their first 7 string song was A Change of Seasons, it was supposed to be on I&W, but the label decided against that, so chronologically it was released after Awake as an EP, but the song is from I&W era. They never topped it, imo.

Avedas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That demo sounds pretty good. Much better than most 8 string demos that lean far too hard into quacky djent territory with the mids pushed up to 11 IMO. It is a bit flubby, but that's just John's tone at this point.

I'm pretty sure their first 7 string song was A Change of Seasons, it was supposed to be on I&W, but the label decided against that, so chronologically it was released after Awake as an EP, but the song is from I&W era. They never topped it, imo.
John said the first riff he wrote when he got his first 7 string was The Mirror, no?

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
That demo sounds pretty good. Much better than most 8 string demos that lean far too hard into quacky djent territory with the mids pushed up to 11 IMO. It is a bit flubby, but that's just John's tone at this point.

John said the first riff he wrote when he got his first 7 string was The Mirror, no?
Do we know when Petrucci got his first 7? I read something years ago about him recording I&W with a Universe, but have no source.

They were playing bits of The Mirror live on a 6 string earlier and the only early version of ACoS I can find is played on 6.

nsimonsen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do we know when Petrucci got his first 7? I read something years ago about him recording I&W with a Universe, but have no source.

They were playing bits of The Mirror live on a 6 string earlier and the only early version of ACoS I can find is played on 6.

I would also like to know. Mostly due to the fact that they wrote 'A Change Of Seasons' originally for 'Images & Words', so that would make me assume that JP had a 7 string back then?

EDIT: I hadn't seen aforementioned early version of ACOS on the 6 string. This is coooool!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Huh? JP used a UV green dot on the music video for Lie. The video was made after the album was recorded, but before Sherinian joined the band, so definitely before ACoS.

Edit:
Video doesn't like ss.o

2nd Edit:
Here's a video of DT live in Japan January 1995. JP has the ibanez JP7 9 months before A Change of Seasons was released.

Link to vid

Last edited:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Huh? JP used a UV green dot on the music video for Lie. The video was made after the album was recorded, but before Sherinian joined the band, so definitely before ACoS.

Edit:
Video doesn't like ss.o
Dream Theater wrote ACoS in like 1989 and recorded a version of it for Images & Words that was cut.

They played a song known as Puppies on Acid which became The Mirror before Awake was recorded. John claims this was the first thing he wrote on a 7 string, so if that's true he definitely had it by 1993.

I'm not really sure what you don't understand. I'm asking when John got the UV. He was playing "7 string material" before Awake.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, yes, I was confused. Puppies on Acid and Kitties on Crack were not done with 7s. In my defense, it was really early in the morning here when I read these posts :lol:

Take the Time would have been the perfect song to use a seven, but it didn't use one, just inverted power chords. So, if what you are saying is that it doesn't look like JP had a seven prior to recording I&W, then I concur.

There is the behind the scenes of the making of awake, which is very blurry, but it looks like JP has a 7 with the picasso graphic while the band was recording Caught in a Web. I'm guessing the UV7BK was probably in his possession prior to that, beacuse why get a UV when you already have a sig? But who knows?

The first visual appearance of a 7 with DT was in the video for Lie. Whether JP owned one that he never showed anyone before that is totally up for speculation. Maybe someone on here is close enough with him to ask to see the reciept.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Ok, yes, I was confused. Puppies on Acid and Kitties on Crack were not done with 7s. In my defense, it was really early in the morning here when I read these posts :lol:

Take the Time would have been the perfect song to use a seven, but it didn't use one, just inverted power chords. So, if what you are saying is that it doesn't look like JP had a seven prior to recording I&W, then I concur.

There is the behind the scenes of the making of awake, which is very blurry, but it looks like JP has a 7 with the picasso graphic while the band was recording Caught in a Web. I'm guessing the UV7BK was probably in his possession prior to that, beacuse why get a UV when you already have a sig? But who knows?

The first visual appearance of a 7 with DT was in the video for Lie. Whether JP owned one that he never showed anyone before that is totally up for speculation. Maybe someone on here is close enough with him to ask to see the reciept.
As far as I know JP had the UV, a blue burst 7, a white Picasso 7, and another Picasso that was uniquely coloured.

You're right that having a 7 but not using it during Images & Words wouldn't have made much sense considering Myung was using a 6 string at the time anyway. One of those things I read on the internet years ago and haven't been able to find since, but I guess it's plausible that he just got the UV and it was the best sounding guitar or he was excited about it so he used it on everything without changing the parts. Though he's said more recently that during that recording is when he received the first Picasso, which was just a guitar Ibanez had sitting around.

All that aside, could you imagine how angry this forum would be if it was around in the 90s and Ibanez kept not announcing a JPM7 every year?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, did Ibanez every officially say anything about the JPM7? I'm ignorant about the nonUS Ibanez releases, but we never got a JPM7 here. Obviously they exist out in the wild, though, but I have no idea how anyone ever got one new in the first place.

The first time I saw DT live, IIRC, the only 7 I saw was the multicolored JPM7. Maybe it was the B&W and the stage lights were playing tricks, though. By the 2nd time I saw them, JP was using EBMM.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
The only JPM7 I've seen in the wild was actually a "tribute" one, an RG7620 modded guitar: paint, pickups switch and eventually the neck's inlays and bindings... Saw it on a local sale site once, the seller was "trying" to sell it as an original one, but got caught and re-formulated his add (removing a considerable amount on the sale price... about €500+ at the time)... never saw that one again, so maybe someone got it or he removed it from the sale...

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Wait, did Ibanez every officially say anything about the JPM7? I'm ignorant about the nonUS Ibanez releases, but we never got a JPM7 here. Obviously they exist out in the wild, though, but I have no idea how anyone ever got one new in the first place.

The first time I saw DT live, IIRC, the only 7 I saw was the multicolored JPM7. Maybe it was the B&W and the stage lights were playing tricks, though. By the 2nd time I saw them, JP was using EBMM.
There was no release ever unfortunately. A couple of people have made replicas of the white one out of RG1527s, but there was never an official version. John sold some of them, certainly the multicolour, along with most of his Ibanezes when he left but I can't say which. Rich from IbanezRules has or had that one.

Apparently he used the white one as the main stage guitar and the blue burst as backup, and got the multicoloured one later on and never toured it before switching to EBMM.

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
Just arrived. Really digging it.

And no Ibanez JPM7 ever went into production. There’s a lot of people doing tribute ones but there’s no production run version.

Attachments

• CE4DB3FD-BB74-4139-82B2-2D6C131AA79D.jpeg
    CE4DB3FD-BB74-4139-82B2-2D6C131AA79D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe this was discussed earlier in this thread, but are they planning to release these again in the future?

Was the 100 limit just for this particular finish?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this was discussed earlier in this thread, but are they planning to release these again in the future?

Was the 100 limit just for this particular finish?
They are sold out but yes- it appears there will be some other finishes available to dealers at some point. I’d absolutely be into a Kinetic Blue .
I don't know myself. I think it'd be extremely foolish for EBMM to squander the opportunity to sell a bunch of guitars that people were ready to spend a small fortune on sight unseen before they even existed.

I'm not into that kind of money for a production guitar, but, if they make a Sterling version of it for a little over a grand, I might have to start saving up just so I can be one of the cool kids (read: middle age prog nerd dudes).

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Majesty 8 arrived yesterday, plugged her in today. Really great instrument, very resonant and snappy which is how I like things. Takes some getting used to the fan frets but it's probably the overall easiest to play 8string in the current collection.

Better picture HERE.

That's quite a collection. Following you on Instagram now (as @guitaranswerguy)