Petrucci 8 String Possibility? IT DOES EXIST!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Svava, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Infini

Infini SS.org Regular

I mean, they'll sell out for sure, but I can't help thinking they could have sold 10x as many (and the inevitable sterling model) if they'd made this 5-7 years ago. As I see it, 8 strings have lost a lot of hype- factor and are nearly sided with 7 strings and baritones as ' slightly odd guitars' now.

The guitar is fine, of course, though given the price and time they invested in it, I think it's a bit lacking in creativity. They didn't even give it a new finish! (it looks great though, don't get me wrong)
    To me it smells of 'we had to fit an extra string so we tweaked the existing design until it fit and left everything else as is'. I wanted to see something innovative, as I want to see JP doing something interesting with it on the album. Not just Dream Theater with 5 extra low notes. If anyone can, it's those guys for sure :cheers:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Let's be real, most of the "development" time on this thing was begging JP to go along with it.

3. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Petrucci fans will buy anything. This would even have sold out if it was like the NOMAC Majesty.

(He says while owning a bunch of JP branded stuff)

4. Infini

Infini SS.org Regular

You really think he would put his name on it just to make money? Who would do something like that ( :lol: )

5. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

For all his faults, Sterling Ball doesn't put out signature gear like that.

We would've seen this thing 5 years ago if all it took was asking Petrucci to sign off on it. He's enough of a company man that he would've found some way to push it to market. The fact it didn't come out until now (and coincides with an album release) is proof positive that Petrucci waited until he had a use for it in DT.

6. StevenC

Yeah, it took years to convince Petrucci to use it on a song. That's what Max said.

bostjan likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I, of course, have no idea how JP personally feels about any of this, but the truth is likely somewhere in between the two extremes of "fans wanted this and the market pushed this on JP" and "JP always wanted this and this is 100% his instrument."

We all know Truch was one of the first post-Vai on-the-cover-of-a-guitar-magazine-level artists to record with a seven string. Awake was recorded the same month as Korn's debut. For me, personally, I wanted a seven string before, but after Awake, I felt like I needed one. And, even before I saw Charlie Hunter or Bob Conti jamming out jazz music on an 8 string guitar, my imagination was running wild with "I wonder what Dream Theater would do with an 8 string guitar?!" I'm sure I wasn't alone. Going into the 2010's with tons of new bands heavily influenced by DT picking up 8 string guitars, the thought was clearly on everyone's mind. I'm sure at least some of this activity was putting a bug in JP's ear. Add in the fact that, even more than a decade ago, people on boards like this one were photoshopping the EBMM JP guitar into 8 string versions and posting them on the internet.

All that said, this "release" is pretty strange. There are no demos of JP playing it. Whatever DT tracks feature it haven't dropped yet, even though the album is only a month away. The guitar itself was limited to 100 units to ship Dec 2021 or Jan 2022. Currently, there's a possibility (probably laughably small) that there could be no standard production model 8 string EBMM. It is all very strikingly cautious in contrast with the huge amount of hype leading up to the announcement of the Majesty 8.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Sermo Lupi

Not quite. One implies Sterling was pressuring Petrucci to use it, the other doesn't. Given Sterling's traditionalism and the lack of any real monetary incentive, I can't see him leaning on Petrucci very hard with this.

All great points.

As far as Petrucci's awareness of 8-strings goes, it probably goes back to at least 2005. Once the RG 2228 came out a few years later, it wouldn't have been hard for him to get one and experiment with it at home if he wanted to.

I think the problem is that Petrucci had taken an interest in baritones in the mid-2000s around the same time that he would've considered getting an 8-string. So an 8 didn't immediately open up any musical doors for him in the way the 7-string did when it first came to market. Thus my curiosity in this guitar and "why now".

As for the release, Petrucci won't have much material written on it yet (as someone else said). So if he or the label doesn't want to burn a single on the 8-string track(s), I'd have to assume promo would have to wait until after the album.

But then, as you point out, this was a production run that's already sold out. So there may still be promo videos after the album release but they won't be to sell gear.

If I had to guess, the 100 guitars produced will cover the R&D costs and serve as a market test. Maybe further on down the line, like at NAMM, EBMM could follow up with a production model if they've determined there's enough interest.

9. bostjan

I don't much see a more likely scenario. However, if the production model is just like the limited run, and, say, $800-1000 less cost intensive, then people who bought one of the limited editions might get a little salty for good reason. Or, if the limited run sold out in a few hours without any very active promotion from JP nor any DT material released, and then EBMM does not release a production model, it'd be really weird.

What I'm hoping is that there is a regular JP model that's less fancy-schmancy and more affordable with options more aligned with the average guitar buyer, and that's what we see released from EBMM (maybe even a Sterling model) next year.

StevenC likes this.
  10. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

In addition to all this shroud of mystery, I have a feeling that the 8 string will only feature for a brief riff/section on 1 (2, tops) song of the new DT album, perhaps even the "long one" :(

11. StevenC

I'm going to make a bet now that the 8 string Dream Theater song will have a bit in it that obviously uses a whammy bar.

Captain Shoggoth and CanserDYI like this.
  12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Why isn't it more likely that being surrounded by young talent that slings 8 string guitars which slowly warmed Petrucci to the idea of integrating an 8 string into his repertoire? God knows I get an itch to try an 8 string every few years when I listen to players using them, even if I usually can never write music with one in my past attempts.

Bud got an early one I guess, gonna go hang out and check it out next week. I'm open minded to it to the extent that if he doesn't dig it I can take it off his hands if I happen to gel with it :shrug:

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  13. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

And the only notes played will be an A# and a B powerchord on the fifth fret

14. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I would say maybe being surrounded by young talent that slings 8 string guitars which slowly warmed Petrucci to the idea of integrating an 8 string into his product range.

15. Sermo Lupi

EBMM could just release it in a different colorway. We could even call it nostalgic; Mystic Dream was a $300 upcharge on the 2001 guitars as well :lol:

Honestly $4k seems about right for a guitar like this in EBMM's pricing structure. As for an affordable JP model, did you mean in general or specifically for the Majesty 8? The JP16 was already EBMM's attempt at a stripped-down (but not budget brand) guitar for average guitar buyers.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  16. StevenC

His nephew has been playing with one for a decade now and his band mate uses one too. He's definitely had access, I think it's just taken this long for him to use it on a song.

But I don't think that precludes Sterling from wanting to sell one and assuming an EBMM 8 string will sell best with Petrucci's name on it.

bostjan and Jonathan20022 like this.
  17. bostjan

I meant a "regular" JP model.

Although, if EBMM can sell 100 of the more premium models in just a few hours, and being a fairly small production shop, maybe they'd be insane to do a stripped-down version of this.

:lol: That's probably the best way it could be stated.

18. StevenC

If they do a non-Majesty version it's going to be another monkey paw situation and be a JP15-8 with a hideous finish.

bostjan likes this.
  19. Sermo Lupi

This is like discussing Xbox product SKUs. :lol:

By "regular", do you mean a JP8? Like, an 8-string version of a JP (arm scoop) or JPX body shape? Or by "regular" do you mean a run-of-the-mill JP 6-string guitar with stripped down features?

This is admirable cynicism. I can see it now: open for Black Label Society and it's a booze fest in the green room. Open for DT and it's geeking out with Petrucci over excel spreadsheets.

In all seriousness, there's not a chance in hell a production model Majesty 8 sells better than a regular model in a shade of "new blue".

20. bostjan

JP8 or JPXIII? I'm confused (joking).

I mean an affordable model with basic options. No limited edition. No Majesty. No super-secret fan-club-only edition. No lead frets. No neck made of stale rye bread...

I.E. -

"Monkey's Paw" should be the model name. Exactly the guitar you wish for, but with one overly-unreasonable spec.

StevenC likes this.