Peters Plasma Blade

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BrutalRob, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:17 AM.

1. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

so I have been really interested in Peters Amps for aa long time know. Whenever I find some infos on them, people seem to love them.
    What I heard so far from @KnightBrolaire, his FSM sounded really cool in his clip. nice throatiness to the sound.
    But being all about metal, I was interested in the Body Hammer. Unfortunately there is hardly any info on that.
    Now I found out that Peters has an updated version of that, the Plasma Blade.

So, anyone ever played any of these?

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Probably no one here. I think 3 of us have had fsm's, for comparison.

3. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

and what was your verdict of the fsm?

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I would try searching Rig-Talk. I believe there was a thread on it over there, and you're going to find the most Peters info in general on that site. Also James Peters is a member, so you could potentially get in touch with him if you wanted.

5. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Yeah already found that, but i thought I would get more metal-based opinions rather here.

Bearitone likes this.
  6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I feel you there. This is the only forum where i find good info on modern metal gear

BrutalRob and Gmork like this.
  7. budda

I enjoyed it. A lot of EQ range, more gain than I needed and cleaned up very well. Master volume was great.

Then I a/b'd it with a friends 5150 I was gonna buy, and realized I had basically set it up to get that tone :lol:. A good amp and James was good to deal with (ordered mine new). For the tones I like though, a 6534+ will do.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

I doubt anyone has played one around here, they're super uncommon out in the wild, even over on TGP/rigtalk. I''ve been trying to find more clips of the body hammer and plasma blade but they're few and far between. Peters has said that the Plasma Blade is even more aggressively voiced than the body hammer (which was already more aggressive than the FSM).
    I'll post up a ton of FSM clips later tonight if you want a better idea of just how gnarly it can sound.

9. KnightBrolaire

10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I have no idea how the amp sounds, but I'm immensely disappointed that an amp company called "Peters" who had another amp called the "Chimera" named it "Plasma Blade" and not "Palsma Rifle"

(If you don't understand this, look up Doom:Repurcussions of Evil)

11. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Thanks for everyone┬┤s input so far.
    @budda so there was nothing that made it stand out against a 5150?

@KnightBrolaire If you think it is hard to find anything about them, go try it on our side of the big pond.
    your clips are helpful as they always are, but i wonder how much of that growl remained in the plasma blade.

My driftwood purple nightmare has a really great growling sound, too. And with the build in 808 circuit you can get it plenty tight.
    Actually I wonder if i even need another amp having this. But i guess everyone on here knows that issue :)

12. budda

It can sound different than a 5150 for sure, but it turns out 5150 esque is my preferred high gain sound. The difference in tone probably isnt worth the 1k+ price difference.

13. KnightBrolaire

Glad the clips are helpful. Amp gas never really dies ime. I've been lusting after a plasma blade or bodyhammer myself for a loong time.
    the growl is kind of James' signature with his amps. They all have some of that throaty quality. I disagree with Budda, peters' amps offer a lot of tonal options even with only 2 channels, especially in comparison to an og 5150. If push came to shove I could get damn near any tone I want out of it, versus 5150s have shittier cleans, worse crunch and less refined high end imo. I tend to keep the amp set for tighter sounds but if you want big massive 5150 type chugs, it can do that with a flick of a switch. I''m sure the bodyhammer or plasma blade can do whatever you throw at it as well.

14. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Thanks again for everybody's input.
    Gas for amps is the lesser evil honestly. Getting new guitars build all the time is far worse for me...

But what you said makes me feel like i definately need a peters in the very near future.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM
  15. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Btw @KnightBrolaire , since you have been interested in the body hammer as well, i guess you have also seen the comparison clip with the henning cherry bomb.
    The body hammer seems to have very smooth highs.
    Is the fsm the same? And can the highs be dialed in to be more cutting?

16. KnightBrolaire

The fsm can be very bright and cutting in the high end if I flip the cut switch and bump up the presence. The FSM is only smooth in the sense that there's no high end hair/fizz like you get with some amps. Most of the clips I uploaded are with the cut switch on. I'd guess that the bodyhammer and plasma blade are similar since they share the same kinds of controls. Have you seen the other bodyhammer clips? the guy who posted the bodyhammer comparison clip said he liked it more than his jp2c, plus he was getting some killer cutting upper mid heavy thrash/metallica tones from it. If the bodyhammer and plasma blade really are more aggressive than my fsm, then they'll work really well for metal in general since the FSM can easily do metal.

17. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

I had my fair share of Peters amps amd 5150's. Still have a Peters...And always will.

I had a Gryphon, loooved that amp, bit i was pushing it as hard as it could, i am a metal player and it was more of a hard rock amp. Biased it cold with 6550 tubes, damping maxed with presence very high and all switches maxed and on. Sounded bad ass!!!!!

Now i have a triple FSM/Vega and god damn, that thing rips. 6550 tubes, biased normally. Not everything maxed and i get awesome brutal tones. Playing a lot of Killswitch, Parkway, Slayer, old Metallica, Testament, Pantera.... Etc. Perfect.

The cleans are just incredible, sooo Fendery or Marshally depending on the settings and gain levels. Ya, has a gain on the clean, sooo fucking wicked.

The Vega is very special. Reminds me of my VHT UL crunch channel with boost on. Had a soft feeling of squishiness but is very tight, weird in a good way under the fingers. Very pleasing to play. Remember i am using 6550 tubes here. Makes a difference.

Still have my 5152. Great amp. But the Peters has a way more complex gain structure, a lot more defined. Tighter of you want, the damping knob is key here. Presence ads cut, a lot.

Selling my Friedman BE100. But keeping the Peters........

18. budda

I said it can do a lot. Then I said I dialled it in to be a better 5150.

I have a clip up of a tele doing cleans with the gain dimed somewhere I think.

It all depends on needs, wants and budget. I wont tell anyone not to buy a Peters. I will ask questions to see if it's the best choice.

For the record, mine was single channel ;)

19. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire Actually I am all about that sizzle, got my driftwood modded to have a poti for that. So the peters will stay clean of sizzle no matter how you dial that in?

@7 Stringer how do the 6550 make a difference? I am not familiar with those.

What does the damping affect?

20. KnightBrolaire

I mean the FSM has some hair/sizzle but not nearly as prevalent as with say a mk3 or 5153. It's more refined in the high end, which is part of why I love it.
    damping basically controls the low end response to start with. I keep mine set to modern/tighter settings since you can still dial in extra low end with the bass and depth knobs on the front of the amp.