Pet Peeves/Irritants/Agitations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PunkBillCarson, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

People that have nothing better to do than to take up a blog cause they couldn't give a shit about just to be contrary.

People that barbecue in their driveway, so the entire neighborhood can see them, when they have a quarter acre of backyard with green grass and trees.

People that tailgate you even when there's a lane to go around you, and there aren't any other cars within sight.

Arrogant fast food workers that act as though you're the idiot when you have to repeat your order to them because they have the attention span of a chimp.

People that bring their whole family to the grocery store, then block a main isle to have a 5 minute conversation and make everyone go around.

Parents.

Musicians texting their girlfriend when she's in the same room between songs.

I could keep going, but I've bitched enough today. lol :)

2. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

I like humming or whistlings on songs I have in my head or that I'm listening to. I especially like humming the bass line or different background harmonies, and sometimes I worry that it will sound like I can't sing to unmusical people that are used to only focusing on the lead melodies.

God I'm such an intellecual I'm sorry.

3. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I can relate to this 100%

Seybsnilksz likes this.
  4. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Tech death bands that have names and song titles that look like ingredients you would find on a bottle of shampoo.

The906 likes this.
  5. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

The Avocadoes?:pickle:

[​IMG]

;>)/

MetalHex likes this.
  6. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I don't think I've read a shampoo bottle since the internet became a thing.

Anquished and MetalHex like this.
  7. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I have several times when I've been to the loo and either my phones died or I've forgotten it.

8. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

How can some people that make tabs get some stuff so right and at the same time some simple stuff so incredibly wrong

AxeHappy and Smoked Porter like this.
  9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

People crapping on Chinese made products. Yes, the biggest pieces of crap smartphones may come out of China, but also the best. Basically the same with TV's, clothing and parts for basically everything we have.
    So that USA built Mesa is great, but not because it was made by Americans. It is great because the USA uses the best materials and has a better quality control. China cuts corners to keep prices down.
    The Japan made Boss pedals are no better than the Taiwan made. The materials and QC is basically thesame imo.

10. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

The phrase "can we just take a minute to appreciate _________". Something about it is just really irritating, even if I like whatever it's being said about.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I think there are two major ways of looking at it, and quality is only one of them.

The other is human rights. China is not known for its human rights. As an example, we know that some Chinese factories offer an existence so horrible that too many people were killing themselves, and now some people working in Chinese factories are made to sign anti-suicide contracts that punish the surviving family monetarily.

I hope none of that is going on at any guitar factories, but the fact is we don't know and can't check. And what's worse, even for guitars and amps that are built in places that do have decent human rights protections, the components are all coming from China anyway, whether it be electronic components in the amp itself or the guitar's body being milled on a Chinese made CNC machine using Chinese endmill adapters etc. Even if you buy American, it's virtually impossible that are aren't supporting the Chinese economy in some way. Don't want to give away any trade secrets but I know for sure at least two well known American guitar makers that my company has sold Chinese endmill adapters to their factory.

And that factors into the quality aspect: Can someone whose only incentive not to kill himself is fear of the punishment that will befall his family capable of making a high quality product?

Having said that, with what I know about the way that Japanese people are raised and educated and the working conditions there, as opposed to the United States, I think it's pretty silly that anyone would imagine an American made product to be of higher quality than a Japanese one. I might be biased, but in a professional setting, I see Americans cut corners constantly. I have less professional experience in Japan than I do in America, but that was certainly not the case there at all over there. Cut a corner in America and if you can still pass of the product on someone you'll get a raise. Someone finds out you did that over there you're gonna be in trouble.

AxeHappy, _MonSTeR_ and Merrekof like this.
  12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

The thing about cutting corners... you're not wrong unfortunately. I've worked in several different factories where the attitude is "good enough" instead of perfection.

AxeHappy and possumkiller like this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That's something I keep wondering about too. For example there was a guitar pro tab of Showdown (by Amoral, check it out on Spotify or Youtube or whatever if not familiar) which was pretty much perfect in terms of the melodies, but they'd tabbed the intro riff in 7/8 even though it's clearly in 4/4. I mean, come on :lol:

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

One of my favorite anecdotes I heard from an old Chrysler guy at the union conference some years back.

In the 90's, when the Japanese auto manufacturers began eating the "Big Three"'s lunch management at GM called a meeting with some floor bosses and union reps.

The team of executives asked the floor bosses and union reps if there was a way to get tolerances tighter. They shrugged their shoulders and said "we'll see".

Two weeks later, when doing a quality audit, management found panel gap tolerance was at or above the threshold of the Japanese.

Shocked at the success management asked the union rep what they did.

The rep then says: "When I asked if they could make the gaps smaller they said 'sure, no one ever asked us to make them that tight, so we figured no one cared.'"

OT, but I'll butcher that story any chance I get.

AxeHappy, Ordacleaphobia and TedEH like this.
  15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This site and pictures, they just don't work.

XPT707FX and Merrekof like this.
  16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Can confirm as someone with family in the manufacturing industry :lol:

17. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I once got Victor Wooten's autograph.

... On a guitar pick.

My past self is my pet peeve.

The906 and vilk like this.
  18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

19. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Calling guitars "fiddles". Or guitfiddles/gitfiddles. Older dudes, did people do this before the internet and guitar forums caught on?

Ordacleaphobia and XPT707FX like this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There's actually an old (way back to the 1200's) instrument called a guitfiddle/gitfiddle. It's basically a bowed guitar/violin/dulcimer thing.

The old timers my old man used to hang out with would use the term for guitars, they're pushing 70/80 now, so I'm sure folks have been saying it forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.