Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

I was kidding about the Juggernaut thing haha, but I have to post because I saw that it's going to be (or has already been) the 5th birthday of Juggernaut and I have to say this is worth celebrating, liking Periphery has been like a phase for me, and after it passed I can't think anything they've put out is very memorable, except for Juggernaut, Juggernaut is here to stay, the album blew my fucking mind with how angry, emotional and smart it was all at the same time. For a long time it was the only music of Periphery that I could not get into, but once it happened it was such a unique, intense musical experience, I became obsessed with it, I bought the tabs for guitar, listened to the producer packs, I don't think I've experienced anything it like it since, it's like you're a teenager just discovering your new favourite band. So yeah Hail Juggernaut, and P2 gets props too for being fucking crazy.

PS: Oh and the Lune stuff in The Way The News goes, Absolomb and Lune itself are very intense too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

@bulb Finland show when? I want to appear in one of your studio updates again!

3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I dunno, Finland is far, we have narrowed down our euro tours and it worked really well. Maybe in a couple years?

To be fair Finland is actually a pretty good market for us, but it costs so much time and money to get there and back that it often doesn’t justify the cost...

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Periphery doesn't play anywhere but the places with the highest profit margins. Eventually they will optimize their tour route down to a single regular Saturday night dive bar gig.

Veldar, Matt08642, Masoo2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Thought this would be the case but good to hear it from you. I almost flew to London for your last show and after seeing some Reptile solo clips with Plini & Jakub I wish I was there :D

Have to say recently there has been very nice bands touring in the north as well.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That's actually the truth for lot of north american bands. For example Devin and Dream Theater are regular visitors here, such as all the big four thrash bands, but smaller the bands get it's not that easy to come here far up north Europe. They really like to stay in central Europe and British islands where distances are shorter and commuting is way easier and faster. It's also where the market really is. Periphery is still on my bucketlist of bands to see, I have missed them couple of times.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea but there's like two of you now so it should be way cheaper than before.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It's lame that so many bands don't trek all the way up to Finland, but that at least makes a lot of sense because it's difficult to get all that gear and all those people that relatively large distance. What bugs me is the number of bands that play UK tours and can't be bothered to get the boat over to Ireland for a show or two. Countless of my favourite bands have done this over the years, playing a dozen places in the UK and can't do a Dublin show. Meshuggah have played 2 shows in Ireland ever and they were in 2017, Haken is from England and played their first shows ever in Ireland a month ago.

Realistically, it's not much more difficult for you to get to a show in London than it is for me, but it's way easier for any international act to add a Dublin/Belfast show than a Helsinki show to their existing European tour.

Lorcan Ward and Metropolis like this.
  9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

not quite, but that’s the dream

AdenM, Flemmigan, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. bracky

bracky Contributor

I’m bummed we’re down a man but the tickets were cheap so I’m not going to complain. Silver Spring. :)

11. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

In Ireland you can only really play 2 shows without totally cannibalising your audience. Especially in metal and its sub-genres. On top of that you need to either haul all the gear and stage show which costs a lot of dough, or else you have to rent gear which can be unreliable and also not super cheap.

It's much harder to recoup Irish costs than it is in the UK where you can play 3-5 shows depending on your fan base.

Solodini and ImNotAhab like this.
  12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The ferry is becoming a big problem now. It’s just not worth the cost going back and forth when they could play a smaller show in the Uk. Countless tours have skipped us but it’s getting so much worse the last year.

That said we will buy all your merch and be one of the craziest audiences you’ll ever play to.

Solodini, ImNotAhab, Masoo2 and 6 others like this.
  13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Shit dude I'm in the states but now I want to go to a show in Ireland. Sounds like a good time :lol:

Flemmigan likes this.
  14. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

... Currently at the SF show. Arch Echo was fucking amazing.

Kaura and c7spheres like this.
  15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

It
    It’s almost like being in a band is a balance of music and business!

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

We are a rowdy bunch even without drink :lol:

In general we are very active in the audience with a lot of singing along. Bands get quite a shock when they first play here and make it a point to try come back just for the reception they get. That said most of the metal audience has grown up so the smaller shows I go to aren't as wild anymore.

Solodini likes this.
  17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is true. When Haken were here I bought literally everything they had for sale. And then it was all up on their website the next week for £10 cheaper for each shirt. But I didn't care because that's not the point.

18. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

You mean you guys don't run at a net loss? Wow when did you sell out..

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  19. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Fun show in SF, personally didn't care for Arch Echo, just not my thing. Plini was great and Periphery was solid, but Sponce seemed a bit low in the mix although could have been my old ears lol. :)

20. savage

savage SS.org Regular

@bulb you boys tore LA up tonight! T’was a blast going to a metal concert in nearly 8 years. You guys put on a phenomenal show, and damn Misha, you nailed that blood eagle solo while bouncing around like a flapper jack. I’ll be catching you guys again for sure. I’m also stoked for ordering one of your LE SoCal. I would love if the dealer is right that Jackson is planning on a 6 month completion window!