Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

we want to redo p1 when we have some time, do it properly
    the main reason we don't play p1 stuff life is because the songs usually get a lackluster reaction. our philosophy is to write what we want but play what fans react well to live

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The one thing I'd love to see from P1 is a 10th anniversary tour with playing the whole album through. I'd never be so hyped for a tour, ever.

Ben Pinkus, MerlinTKD and Flemmigan like this.
  3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Soooo should I never expect to see Racecar again? :(

4. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Wait... what??? It’s a good way of organising a live show but I can’t beleive the original stuff doesn’t go over well with the fans. All y fave stuff is off the first couple of discs. But then I’m too old, so what do I know.

5. Albake21

I've noticed that Periphery gained a bunch of new fans around the last two albums. Those fans for some reason do not like hearing P1 live, no idea why... I just want to hear some P1 and P2 again. Thankfully I finally heard Mile Zero live and it was glorious.

katsumura78 and Seybsnilksz like this.
  6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Mile Zero is one of my faves, as is Racecar. I feel like I’ve not really ‘kept up’ with the new stuff, even though I bought P3 it didn’t get the play that P2 did/does. P1 and interestingly 4 of the tracks on Clear probably get the most plays.

Razerjack and Albake21 like this.
  7. Ralyks

Wait, they don’t even do P2 stuff as much? Meeeeh.

8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

That's awesome that that's an idea that's getting thrown around.
    I'm surprised to hear about the live reaction, though- even the more groove-oriented stuff, like Icarus or The Walk? I would have expected the complete opposite. Or even the more popular songs like Jetpacks or All New Materials. Wonder why that is.

Sweet news tho :yesway:

9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Beats me, we occasionally try to shoehorn a p1 song in, and it almost always underperforms compared to the rest of the set, oftentimes we replace it mid tour. Icarus for example, is one of the stronger p1 songs, but it seems like after the intro riff it dies down. So even that one isn’t guaranteed these days.

We just kinda stick to the material that seems to get the best vibe from the audience and unfortunately a lot of p1 just doesn’t seem to work that well.

drmosh, MerlinTKD and Anquished like this.
  10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I bought a cheap PRS 6-stringer recently cause I liked the neck and the nut that had been installed, and discovered the pickups that had been installed in it (Dimarzio Titan bridge/neck pickups) were apparently Periphery-designed??? Here's hoping they sound good! I'm mainly using it in standard, so I dunno if that's really using them for their intended purpose?! I hadn't paid attention to the electronics before ordering cause I wasn't necessarily planning on keeping them. I just got it today and will be curious to try it out tonight.

/gs

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Those are Jake's signature pickups afaik.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yep. I looked them up very briefly before I ordered just to make sure they weren't terrible, and didn't recognize Jake's name, and then looked more into it later and saw the Periphery thing. He should have a recognizable one-name name like Nolly or Misha imo. :p

13. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Wow, that mystifies me. Then again, last P show I went to, most of the crowd were young drunk guys more interested in 'moshing' than the music, so... :shrug:

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Weird, to me pretty much all the P1 songs sound like they'd translate really well live :shrug: But maybe it's a case of people not knowing the songs since they're "old"... But still, I'd bang my head to those songs even if I heard them for the first time, IMO P1 has the easiest headbanging parts.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  15. Albake21

Album preview! Damn is Spencer sounding mean as fuck! Also I couldn't be happier to finally hear parts of Sentient Glow, so much hype for that sound, but it sounds great from the preview. I'm honestly really excited for this album, way more than I have for Periphery in a long time. Spencer almost sounds like a mix of P1, P2, and all new vocals.

Oh and it's great to finally hear that amazing riff from Mark's delay demo finally being used. Still one of my favorite soft riffs to play.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I just came in to post that video :lol:

Gotta say, the whole preview sounded incredible. And as SSO's resident Haunted Shores nutter, Sentient Glow sounds fantastic Misha- I can already see what you meant by Spencer's vocal performance on that song. Definitely going to be the first song I check out. I wonder if Crush is going to have that sweet electronic track that bulb produced a while back under the same name in it somewhere?

Albake21 likes this.
  17. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

I suspect it is, just listen to that and then this preview, it sounds very much like it could be part of the same thing, which exites me :D
    Very much looking forward to this, only 2 more weeks! Devy's new record in between to keep us content, I'm all happy :)

18. squids

squids .

the track after Garden in the Bones in the preview sounds like its gonna be reeeeeeeeaaal catchy. at least for me

19. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

I know, I think I've listened to that little 15~ seconds @ 1:26 onward like 50 times in the last 24 hours. Definitely the track I'm most excited for so far. April 5th hurry up already!!

20. Ralyks

I still remember seeing a video of what I believe was the first time Racecar was played, the solo comes and the camera is on Misha assuming he's playing it, and Misha is pointing at Jake basically "No, dude, over there! Jake's playing!" Good times.
    I guess I'm basically saying I really wish Racecar was back in the set. Even like a Dream Theater thing where play like the first half early on and then close with the second half or something.

Anyway, did Jake learn that solo from Loomis or did he figure it out on his own?