Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

So he signed BTBAM hoping they become the next Jackson 5.

2. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

I think going independent can be very risky, in this case though it seems like a smart move considering they always had a diy approach and with Misha's interest in business they might pull it off!

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Fixed.

That was once said about Ash Avildsen.

4. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

People seem to be forgetting that he was talking about this in response to Misha's comments that he doesn't make any money from his music. So he wasn't saying "I'm mad that they refused to write commercial songs", he's saying "if you wanted to make more money you should have written commercial songs like I told you to".

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Thats crazy they were going to leave Icarus Lives off the debut and he had to convince them. If they had I never would have gotten into them. On the other hand he also convinced them too do a double album which is what made me lose interest in the band completely.

Most bands fans don't support bands they like at all since you don't have to pay for music anymore so if anyone is going to be around in years to come its PTH. They are an example of one of the few and only bands currently adapting and successfully dealing with the problems bands are facing. Periphery will have no trouble without a label since they have their fanbase and their business smarts. They have a legion of fans who throw money at them.

AdenM and couverdure like this.
  6. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

I feel releasing a double album was the lesser of 2 evils in that situation. Releasing it as one enormous album would have just been silly imo. I loved P2 but everything afterward just seems a bit meh to me.

Veldar likes this.
  7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

That's kinda how I am with Periphery. I don't dislike Alpha/Omega and P3, but they just didn't wow me by any means. Especially P3. It just felt like a glorified metalcore album to me.

8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I agree, but I still can't help but love 'em.
    Musically, P1 and (especially) P2 were my absolute jam- I still appreciate the rest, but don't listen to them nearly as much. Not as much my style.
    But for whatever reason, I still look at them as a favorite band. Just a like-able bunch of guys doing what they do.

9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ash definitely had some good ideas, and when he had good ideas we took them. When he had ideas we didn't like, we didn't. That's about it. We never complained about the band making money to him or anyone else for that matter.

I guess he didn't actually read the article. Just reading the dumb clickbait headline may make it look like I was complaining, but as anyone who actually read the article knows, I wasn't. We knew what we were getting into from day one, and that's why we worked on alternate income streams early on so we could have Periphery always be a true passion project for us.

Fun fact about going commercial, while we are on the topic. The truth is that going more commercial is a massive gamble, most bands who try to crossover fail, and in some cases cause irreparable damage to their band's image. It's basically gambling your career on a lottery ticket as far as I'm concerned. For the label it's much less of a risk because they hedge their bets with all the bands they have signed, which is why it's an easier and smarter push for a label as a business.

It's also very easy to analyze the successes and ignore the thousands of bands that have destroyed their career making that jump. We weren't ever interested in that side of the music industry, but even if we had been, we wouldn't necessarily have gone for it given how risky it is.

You, lurgar, LeoLmX and 12 others like this.
  10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Thanks for the response. It is really true about bands having backlash from their fans. I can definitely relate to this as a fan of bands that did this. I'm glad Periphery hasn't done this and hopefully never will. Do you guys plan on doing everything like managing, merch, sales by yourself or are you going to hire someone to help?

11. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

But once you go DIY growth staginates, I honestly haven't seen PTH do anything since they went indie, because they have no marketing behind them. And with Periphery I honestly think that if they cash in on their fan base they'd lose income from the signature gear. In my experience people don't wanna double dip

12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

We will definitely have the marketing side covered, but even if Periphery continues to make little money, it's not a big deal, we will just have fun with it.

13. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

To be totally fair, PTH marketing surrounds them when they have an album to drop and everyone talks about it. But in general they don't waste the fan's time unless they have something which I can appreciate. I hate waiting half a year for something to drop, I'd rather just know it's coming within 1-2 months once they're all ready to drop the announcement and get everyone excited. With Periphery it's a little different because you know their work cycle and they seem to have a pattern of releasing snippets when they're doing something.

14. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

I just heard All That Remains on the radio doing a Garth Brooks cover and thought holy crap they're trying to be Five Finger Death Punch.

wannabguitarist and couverdure like this.
  15. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Thanks for reminding me why I don't listen to ATR anymore. :lol:

16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

PTH released a series of tracks (Pacific Myth) and now have an album coming up. Also 2 anniversary world tours. They're probably doing ok.

aesthyrian likes this.
  17. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This a million times. I'm getting very sick of rock bands trying to sound like Top 40 electro-pop after many consistently good albums only to sink their reputation and even sales further, this has happened to bands like Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, Linkin Park, 30 Seconds To Mars, and some others. I know Periphery are from a completely different genre compared to those bands, but their popularity is around those leagues and I'm glad you know what to decide if a shift in sound direction would take a lot of risks for fans and sales.

You likes this.
  18. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Periphery is nowhere near the level of Linkin Park or Fall Out Boy. We're talking levels of magnitude difference in sales.

For reference, FoB have had four Billboard number 1 albums. Periphery's highest was P3, at #22.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  19. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Right, so if anything those bands have a lot more to fall back on if the transition fails. You guys have likely not even heard of most of the bands that tried to cross over unless you were fans before. It’s literally just gambling your career on a lottery ticket.

Either way, it wasn’t the reason we wanted to make music with Periphery, we wanted to just have fun with it.

20. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I believe they also had a number one with a bullet.