Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Well, when you go see guys like DTP, I know with Mike on stage it gets cut back a bit, but anything with the female vocals isn't live.

Fallujah, I saw them once where Alex did a lot of the synth/keyboard stuff when he wasn't singing, but the other times I saw them, they just let backing tracks take care of it.

Pretty much any band with tons of layers in their sound is going to be using backing tracks. I guess my point is people don't seem to care when it's synth type stuff, but they do when it's the bass. For me, I don't really see the difference between using backing track for that or for anything else. They are going to do what they are going to do.

At least it isn't whatever the Faceless turned into.

2. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Yeah bass in Periphery is obviously a major part of the sound, but it's not a main focus of the music. If Primus started touring with a bass track then it'd be a different story, but in bands like Periphery it's basically just a hyper-compressed synth-esque sound anyway, so it's not a huge deal if it's on the backing track imo - not to mention business-wise it's likely not a great investment to spend time and resources to try and find somebody to fill Nolly's gigantic shoes.

I'm sad to not see Nolly live anymore, but I'm definitely not upset that Periphery's bass isn't gonna be live.

3. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

It's sad to see Nolly go, but it's obviously not a huge surprise. It's pretty crazy to see how much the band has grown during all these years.

What will you do when writing and recording new bass parts in the future? Will the guitarists write and record bass tracks and keep using backing tracks live?

4. austinjhnsn

austinjhnsn SS.org Regular

There's a big part of me that hopes they keep the producing/mixing role in the band or at least still in Nolly's hands. The sound they have is too good to take a step back from.

Glad everyone is still on great terms, just a little bummed I never got to see Nolls live:(

also @bulb , will there be a P3 tab book?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  5. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm fine with backing tracks since there's still plenty of actual playing to see. Guitars, vocals, drums... Still very much a full band's worth of stuff going on on stage.

On top of that, Periphery can still tour/perform live while not having to cancel shows and/or worry about hiring a replacement. Nolly can jump ship immediately, not growing to resent the band or something. It's a win/win in my eyes. Nolly gets to move on from something he didn't enjoy anymore, and the band can continue on without missing a beat. Sure it's a bummer, but I'm an avid supporter of people doing things that they want. Whether that means a band tries new styles of music, or they decide it's no fun so they stop doing it, I support it. Nothing worse than having someone write/perform music JUST because they felt it's what was expected of them.

I am also glad to see Misha's take on it and am glad to see that both sides are very much on the same page. No ill will and all that. You all sound like genuinely great people, and it's cool to see something pretty damn big like this handled with grace and respect. Best of luck to both Nolly, and everyone else in Periphery going forward. I look forward to future GGD stuff and Periphery stuff.

Ataraxia2320 and Seybsnilksz like this.
  6. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

I saw periphery with Nolly opening for DTP a few years back in Paris. the stage was over crowded. nobody could move. at least with one less member they have room to move on stage without stepping on each other. For the bass part, live, with 3 distorted guitars, Nolly or a backing track doesn't make a lot of difference IMO.
    I'm pretty sure If those guys really wanted a bass player to fill Nolly's spot on stage, they would have found one pretty quickly.
    One person less on the payroll.

7. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Well when it comes to writing I usually head up that part of it, and I usually write the majority of the Bass tracks. We all obviously want to work with Nolly when we go to record albums in the future, and although he won't have an obligation to work with us, we will try to work our schedules to make that happen since we obviously have great chemistry. We would probably have him track the bass parts that were written, much as we have done in the past, since his technique and tone is awesome.

I'd like to think Nolly will always be a part of Periphery in some form, but this way he doesn't have to treat us as a priority and isn't forced to work his schedule around us.

Don't worry guys, it's gonna be just fine!

rob_707, Señor Voorhees and Zalbu like this.
  8. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

I'm really sorry Misha but your argument sucks! And oh surprise having backing tracks for bass is fine... but what about having backing tracks for your guitar parts? So you could stay at home?! Maybe the FOH guy would be happy too?!
    Or we could all stay at home listening to your CDs??? Sound would be way more consistent! That's not what people are paying for... and by the way, bass is a real instrument you know? It deserves a good musician behind it as much as guitar does!!
    What's wrong with you?!?!??

9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I accept your apology.

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

[​IMG]

Ivars V and Jonathan20022 like this.
  11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

+1

12. bensjjjammin

bensjjjammin SS.org Regular

I say, whatever works for a great show, works!! The lighting at the shows is super awesome too!!!

13. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I agree and thanks pal!

bensjjjammin likes this.
  14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

What an overreaction :lol:

He just outlined the difficulties of finding someone to fill Nolly's shoes. And maybe they will in the future, but instead of scrambling to find a perfect replacement and hold off on touring obligations and writing their music, they could just let it happen naturally. It's like you skimmed his statement, and got completely butthurt about there no longer being bass in the live sound for the time being.

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Hahah indeed.

Though just to be clear there has been and will continue to be bass in the live sound, and since Nolly prepares it, it sounds exactly like him!

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

Since Nolly announced he wasn't touring any longer, I've seen the band twice and plan to see you guys on your round through Atlanta this fall (can't wait btw). The bass sounded huge and there is a ton going on while on stage. Don't worry about the haters. Just make sure you guys book him for the next album sessions! Haha

Periphery rules!

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  17. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

I for one am happy Nolly is so successful and doing something he loves, it was quite obvious his time was coming to an end and I have no doubt Peripherys music will continue to be just as awesome.

christ you're a moany, demanding little boy aren't you.

USMarine75 likes this.
  18. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Ok... woke up this morning with a big headache and seems like I put a bit too much... enthousiasm (?) in my previous post... yep overreaction after a heavy drinking night! :(
    Sorry for that guys and most of all real apologies this time to you Misha. Didn't mean to be offensive.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  19. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

no worries pal!

drmosh likes this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

If Edgar Winter can use canned keys when he needs to, then periphery can certainly use canned bass when they need to.

Bulb, are you guys still adding tour dates or is the current lineup it for the summer? Trying to decide if I need to take a road trip from Minneapolis to Chicago.