Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

The first riff from Remain Indoors is my all time favourite "Bulb" riff so I can't help but love the song purely for that.

Reserving judgement until I hear the full album but I will say that Spencer seems to be somewhat unshackled on this one. I'd be curious as to whether he feels like he has a bit more freedom on this record. Either way, thumbs up from me :)

2. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

I'm definitely digging it so far! P1 has been my all-time favorite album of theirs, though I have liked them all. This one stands a good chance of becoming my new favorite!

3. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Really not liking it so far, all the songs sound the same. There's nothing that makes me want to come back to any of the tracks. I'll give it a go again when the full album drops but I don't think they can top the Juggernaut albums in my opinion

4. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

I like it quite a bit, as I've always thought they excelled at stand-alone songs with catchy riffs and vocal melodies and this one delivers in that area. But, there's really nothing new here from a musical or production standpoint. You pretty much know what you're getting if you've heard Periphery II, which to me is kind of a bummer given then talent involved. Very enjoyable album, though.

5. Arkeion

Arkeion SS.org Regular

All the songs sound the same? Have you even listened to the singles? It's like their most diverse yet.

6. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I've been listening to the entire album for a few days now and your opinion might change, but it might not. Regardless, I think they did a great job choosing the track listing. I love how the album opens with The Price Is Wrong. It hits hard and fast and is a great opening track, but by the time you get to Lune, that awesome contrast of the first moments of the record and the final moments of the record is pretty fvcking sweet and quite deliberate, I'm sure. The orchestral stuff running throughout is a great touch, an interesting alternative to the electronic interludes of P1 and P2. Like I mentioned earlier, it feels like a good balance of old Bulb and new Periphery, bringing in the voices of Mark and Jake a lot more. And of course, it's much easier to digest than Juggernaut.

7. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

I have, and I stand by the fact that nothing has really caught my attention the way the singles off of Juggernaut did, I might change said opinion once I give the whole album a go but so far it's meh for me

8. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

With every track that keeps getting released, I just love the album more and more. Really turned out to be a strong album, for me. Love every aspect of it!

9. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

They released another song today. Pretty gat dam'd heavy.

10. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I can get schwifty to that track.

[​IMG]

11. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Bruh, I need this album in my life, now. I've already been listening to it like an addict on Youtube, I need the real CD, man.

/Tyrone Biggums

12. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I still stand by my critique of Flatline, it is so far my candidate for weakest track of the album.

With that said... Everything else, holy ..... Misha, what the hell did you feed Sponce?

13. T40

T40 SS.org Regular

I did just realize after thousands of play throughs what's missing, Jakes electronic things. I was expecting the return of that for one of the P albums, but it seems to be replaced by Mishasaur's new love for symphonies. I love the symphony parts, but now i want the symphony plus the electronics together, i feel they would mesh well.

14. Xcaliber

Xcaliber SS.org Regular

I've been avoiding listening to the tracks on YouTube because I want to experience the album tomorrow when it comes out, but now that I type that out it sounds stupid. I'm grabbing the CD tomorrow after work for sure, but right now I'm on to YouTube to check it out...

15. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

yeah I'm going to miss that, to be honest. i'll have to get the whole record and see how it all plays out...looking forward to it. But I really did like all of the electronic stuff - it gave PII a really cool sound.

16. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

I'll probably get flamed for this and so be it. I think all the Periphery guys are super talented musicians and songwriters but at this point I feel like if you've heard one Periphery song you've heard them all, especially with their newer stuff (PII and the new album). I was a huge fan of Misha's early stuff, the first album, Icarus EP and some of PII but I don't see the band pushing songwriting to new levels or taking chances to create a new sound or at least evolve from one album to the next (ie: Karnivool) in my opinion. One can only take so many chug-chug-chug into an ascending arpeggio riffs before it gets stale. Not trying to be a music snob, just an opinion... I'm still a fan but I wish they'd mix it up way more than they have.

17. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I haven't been super into Periphery recently, just been listening to different stuff as of late. Juggernaut didn't wow me and a couple of the new songs I definitely liked better but was just sort of feeling like PI and PII had already been locked into place as my favorite Periphery music... but god damn Absolomb! That's what I want to hear from them. Haven't liked a Periphery song that much in a while.

18. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I got my preorder early and have been listening to it in my car for the last few days. I love the album as a whole and how much ground they cover :yesway:

Absolomb was one of my favorite old demos, so it really makes me happy to hear it as a full-on, well produced song on an album :)

Can't wait for the San Antonio date of the headlining tour!

19. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I both agree and disagree. I thought there was a good bit of evolution on Juggernaut - which is probably my favorite album(s) of theirs - and as such, it seems to get rather lukewarm remembrances around here (hence somebody making the "Beta/Gamma" snarky crack a page or two back).

There are songs on there that sound like nothing they'd done before, and nothing they've done since. "The Scourge" is a great example. It's not chug, chug, chug. In fact, heavy guitar plays a pretty background-ish role in the song. There's a melodic progression that stands apart from their usual tonalities. It's an absolute gem.

I would say "A Black Minute""Omega""Priestess" and "Stranger Things" all fit the same bill too. I felt like these guys were poised to really break out and transform their sound on PIII.

Aside from the orchestral elements and maybe "Marigold", I don't hear that. I don't know if it's the reliance on old Bulb riffs (and that in and of itself isn't bad. "Remain Indoors" is a pretty great song), but it feels like a step back or retrenchment. I don't know if that's a deliberate decision.

Nonetheless, I'm buying ATL tickets and will get a T-shirt (or maybe two!) while I am there. I love the fellas, and will do my best to continue to support 'em.

20. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic