Peoples knowledge about their gear

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Thanatopsis, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

It seems to me that whenever I run into other guitarists or am talking to people in other bands at shows that so many people barely know anything about even their own gear. Maybe I'm just a gear nerd but it just amazes me that people don't know more about their own shit. Anyone else seem so notice this?

TheHandOfStone and Svava like this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Reminds me of watching a rig rundown with Rick Nielson. When the interviewer asked him what pickup he was using in a certain guitar, his reply was "Oh, it's a humbucker!" Made me want to facepalm. :lol:

3. User Name

User Name Banned

i know basic things, but there are alot of other things like nut material, fretboard radius, and so on that i just dont feel like i even need to know :lol:

4. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Rick gets a pass because he's in Cheap Trick.

5. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

Maybe whatever gear they have sounds good to and it works for them?

From what I've seen, those kinds of dudes end up playing and sounding better, since when things go wrong for them they blame themselves first, instead of changing their amp settings or their equipment.

You'd be surprised how many kids these days try to change something with their gear when a riff or a tough lick doesn't sound quite the way they want, instead of adjusting their playing first.

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  6. abandonist

abandonist Banned

I don't know much of anything about all the stuff y'all seem to care so much about. I still manage to get the sounds I'm looking for out of my stuff.

7. Rylynn

Rylynn Well-Known Member

I think Marty Friedman fits this category

8. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

When I was gigging I was amazed at how many deathcore/metalcore/hardcore bands didnt know about boosting.

9. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

I actually had never even heard of boosting until literally right before I joined this site.:lol:

Edit: Actually tbh, I discovered this SSO while researching this thing called boosting.

10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I can understand not knowing or caring to know about stuff like fretboard radius, pickup magnets, etc. (even with their own gear) but I think everyone should have at least a basic grasp of general maintenance and the order of things in their signal chain. Oh and knowing not to use instrument cables to hook up heads to cabs...I know at least a couple people who have damaged their gear because of that.

11. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I've found that in most things, many people simply don't care about the details. I can't help but geek out about things I like and want to learn as much as I can, but that's not representative I find.

12. ChubbyEwok

ChubbyEwok SS.org Regular

I honestly think people should know the basics of their equipment. I know not everybody is a gear nerd, but I kinda find it weird when you don't even know what pickups you have in your guitar. I'm a huge gear nerd and my buddy isn't, but I kinda find it funny when I know more about his gear then he does hahaha it's amazing when people ask us what we use and I can explain everything we use without a problem when he's there and is just like "Yeah what he said" :D

13. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

I know what strings I use, I know what pickups are in each guitar (but not the magnets), and I know what brand and model name all my equipment is. I'd say that's a good start for me.

14. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

What Pepperoni said. I think some people just don't give a damn. If it sounds good enough for them that's all they care about.

But it can go either way, sometimes they sound great, others might sound god awful. I played bass in a band where the guy was using an old digital multi FX into a solid state crate - i had to wear ear plugs to practice - some of his patches were just painful to hear. I'm guessing i could have dialed in a perfectly usable tone with the same gear though.

15. guitarfreak1387

guitarfreak1387 squirrel chaser

i feel the same way. Just always thought i was being a big nerd about it.

16. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I have a hard time buying or using anything without becoming fairly knowledgeable on it first, whether it's a guitar pickup or a car tire or a frying pan. I always try to learn as much as I can about my options and their relative merits. It's a disease.

17. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Pretty well every big guitarist has a tech for the express purpose of not having to worry about what's in their guitar. They literally give a guy money and say "Make sure I sound good".

18. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Some gear knowledge is a good thing to have, still the periods of time in which i played the best were the ones when i wasn't GASsing at all, so i totally agree with you.
    Less thinking about gear, more playing.
    To me, general dissatisfaction in playing -> GAS

19. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

GAS uber alles. :lol:

Most guitarists don't give a singular shit about the details of their gear, as evidenced by the setups I get every week. I know to the gear nerds on this site in particular, it'll come as a bit of a shock, but your average guitarists knows jack shit about what they're playing. They care far more about playing. :lol:

20. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

This is how the bass player from Opeth was when I met him, I asked "What type of bass are you playing tonight?" "A bass guitar" he replied :lol: