People you know who like Metal?

xDarkCrisisx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Couldn't really word it right but has anyone ever had the instance of "whoa, YOU listen to Metal!?" An example I can give is my High School gym teacher, during freshman year I had gym with a lot of upper class men jocks so we were mostly in the weight room listening to Hip-Hop/Rap etc. So I jokingly one day shouted in earshot of our gym teacher that we should try playing some Slayer or something, and his eyes widened and he came up to me and started talking about how much he loved Thrash/Death Metal and asked for my iPod (I normally wear headphones). It caught me so off guard :eek:, he would occasionally rotate in some Slayer or Cannibal Corpse etc. into the playlist just for me and my friend. How about any of you?

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
One of my employees had that moment a few years ago.

He was 16 or 17, and couldnt believe that I jammed out to slayer, and zao and lamb of god in the back. He thought i was old..lol.

J7string

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No one. I know not one person that listens to metal. Some may think they do... but they don't lol, and every person that listens to my stuff, or walks in when I'm listening, they do the very same, "Whoa! You listen to THAT?!" It's quite irritating.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Usually I am that person. I work as an IT consultant and wear a suit during the day. So sometimes I arrive at the parking lot of a customer with The Acacia Strain blasting from the car stereo. Or if I'm first to arrive at the office I put some music on. That raises some eyebrows every now and then.

And when I see someone at work who wears a shirt of a band I like, I tell them what my favorite song of that band is, just for giggles to see the expression on their faces.

And when people ask what I do in my free time, and I tell them I'm in a metal band, I get reactions like, "What, you??? Really?".

And my favorite eyebrow raiser:
  1. Drive to a bar where you have a gig with 3 deathcore bands.
  2. Park the BMW (brand new leased company car) right out front. Have the stereo play some classical music or run of the mill top 40 pop.
  3. Get out of the car dressed in my favorite Slayer shirt and some old jeans.
  4. Start unloading guitars and amp.
I like doing this because I feel it helps fight prejudice. What you wear and what you own does not define who you are.

WildBroskiAppears

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Both of my best friends had an unnatural hate for metal of almost any sort when I first began hanging out with them. Fast-forward two years and we're all going to see DEP and The Faceless next month :hbang: I once did a little experiment by showing some classmates Danza IV, and even though in most cases it wasn't their style, not a single person has told me they disliked it/thought it was bad.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit that this hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager because music moves around so fast that the whole "U LISSIN TUH METOOL?" doesn't happen at all as it's expected from at least some people. In fact, it's significantly more common for me to find people that listen to Slayer and such bands than it is to find people who dig metal that I dig.

Metal and aggressive music is a lot more expected now that it's spread out more due to the internet and stuff. The only time I get that type of surprised response is when I come across someone who happens to like an obscure or very unknown band/artist that I like. Other than that, you'll always come across some people who dig a band that has an established fanbase, which is becoming increasingly easier. Especially a larger band such as Slayer.

However, my uncle, who only likes hip hop and R&B, loves the Howard Stern show and was trying to get me into this drummer who regularly appeared on the show and played in metal bands. That really surprised me because my uncle is strictly rap and rap associated music and nothing else, but he likes the Howard Stern show so much that he wanted to find some common ground with me through metal.

Dan_Vacant

Hi I'm Dan.
Reaction score
I found out my 9th grade English teacher likes Cannibal Corpse, but I don't look all that metal so I'm not sure why I get shocked by it.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I've been slowly turning on all of my friends to metal. I recently got a girl who listens to mostly things like Regina Spektor (is that how you spell her name?) SUPER into Cult of Luna and Intronaut.

MicrobeSS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nobody I know listens to metal, my close friends think I'm angry all the time because I listen to it :lol:

I got one of them to start getting into it.

GizmoJunior

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a cook at a restaurant and get this all the time. One of the waitresses was like "You listen to metal, you seem like one of those Indy stoner guys." A couple other people have been suprised by this also. Though there are a few dudes in the kitchen that listen to metal, keeps things interesting and gives us something to talk about.

troyguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't typically tell people that I listen to metal, since they tend to assume that it means "that screaming shit" if they are not metal fans, thrash/death if they are 30+ metal fans, or -core stuff if they are under 30, all of which is exactly what I do NOT listen to :lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Usually I am that person. I work as an IT consultant and wear a suit during the day. So sometimes I arrive at the parking lot of a customer with The Acacia Strain blasting from the car stereo. Or if I'm first to arrive at the office I put some music on. That raises some eyebrows every now and then.

And when I see someone at work who wears a shirt of a band I like, I tell them what my favorite song of that band is, just for giggles to see the expression on their faces.

And when people ask what I do in my free time, and I tell them I'm in a metal band, I get reactions like, "What, you??? Really?".

2. Park the BMW (brand new leased company car) right out front. Have the stereo play some classical music or run of the mill top 40 pop.
I like doing this because I feel it helps fight prejudice. What you wear and what you own does not define who you are.

I'm definitely that guy. :yesway:

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
No, the beard and tattoos kinda give it away. But my 12th grade History teacher listened to Pantera, Slayer and the sorts when he was in school and looked like the type who listened to nothing but blues rock.

Khoi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm Asian, and usually that's enough. Not many Asian people are into metal, and I'm usually the only Asian guy at the shows (maybe one or two others), but I don't mind at all. I actually think it's kind of cool, I feel like I have a much more unique edge.

great_kthulu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I do the opposite to fight prejudiced in a way, my long hair is usually down, I'm usually wearing some violent/obviously metal shirt and then act polite, personable and friendly.

I also tend to get more surprise due to my other hobbies, such as anime cons/cosplaying and LARP.

TripperJ

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm the only kid who listens to metal at my high school. There are kids who listen to Black Veil Brides, Asking Alexandra, and other shit like that but no one but me listens to death metal ,grindcore, djent, etc. I have a few friends who like it but don't really listen to metal unless it's me that's playing it.
What really pisses me off though is that whenever I wear a metal shirt I get treated as a degenerate or a second class citizen. I'm an honor student and play clarinet in the fucking school band. I guess that's just the way the world is right now, I can only hope that metal will be embraced by more people.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
What really pisses me off though is that whenever I wear a metal shirt I get treated as a degenerate or a second class citizen. I'm an honor student and play clarinet in the fucking school band. I guess that's just the way the world is right now, I can only hope that metal will be embraced by more people.

The heaviest (only) band T-shirt I have is a TesseracT one and I wear that whenever I am doing anything 'cello related :)

Hipster Holocaust

Reaction score
I'm the only kid who listens to metal at my high school. There are kids who listen to Black Veil Brides, Asking Alexandra, and other shit like that but no one but me listens to death metal ,grindcore, djent, etc. I have a few friends who like it but don't really listen to metal unless it's me that's playing it.

Do something like this Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge (clarinet cover WITH SOLO) - YouTube or this Origin - Finite (complete CLARINET cover) - YouTube