People with snoring roommates

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by brick, Apr 13, 2012.

1. brick

brick artist & musician

What do you do if you have a ridiculously loud snorer as a roommate? I'm in college, and I need an alarm to wake up so earplugs don't work. And I have no luck falling to sleep with earbuds in. Losing sleep help:scream:
    Thanks

2. SkapocalypseNow

SkapocalypseNow Coffee Cups?

A place with stuff and things and people. Just kid
    Around here, rocks tend to be the solution to everything, but in your case, maybe a brick would be more appropriate. Give that a shot, let us know what happens.

3. ArkaneDemon

ArkaneDemon SS.org Regular

1. take pillowcase
    2. fill with bars of soap
    3. ???
    4. profit!

4. VILARIKA

VILARIKA SS.org Regular

5. AnarchyDivine88

AnarchyDivine88 SS.org Regular

Well it seems the general consensus is to murder your roommate :lol:

If earbuds are too uncomfortable, you can try something like the Bose QC15 over-the-ear headphones. The noise cancellation on those is amazing, you won't hear his snoring at all, and they're incredibly comfortable, they're actually made to be able to sleep with them on, in fact the "QC" stands for Quiet Comfort. If you have an iHome or similar type of thing as your alarm than you can plug them into that and set it to play a song as the alarm and that way it'll go through the headphones, so you know you'll hear it. Just don't turn it up too loud.

Or you can try sleeping pills, although I wouldn't recommend that. There are more natural alternatives that won't put you to sleep but just help to promote sleep, such as melatonin or sleepytime tea. Most melatonin pills will not only help you fall asleep, but also help you stay asleep. They're not going to actually knock you out though, so if his snoring is really that bad, it still might not work. Maybe worth a try though. And the tea is just going to relax you to help you fall asleep, but won't put you to sleep either.

Or you can just talk to him about it and have him find a way of curing his snoring problem. After all, he's really the one who has the problem, not you, so he should be the one to fix it. It would be good for him anyway, because in the future, if he moves in with someone he's in a relationship with; wife, girlfriend, whatever, it can cause problems for that relationship. So if he can take care of the problem now, it'll avoid that in the future.

If all else fails, there's always SkapocalypseNow's suggestion.....

[​IMG]

6. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

i had the loudest snorer for a roommate in college. i HAD to have my earbuds in and my ipod going, or i would be awake all night. couldn't you set your ipod to snooze afte an hour or so, so that way you're asleep when it stops? by the time morning rolls around, music won't be playing and you can still hear your alarm.

also, they make alarms that flash a light 5 minutes or so prior to setting the alarm off, and those worked really well for me as well, that way you aren't as reliant on the noise.

either way, good luck, i know how crappy it can be to be kept up all night.

7. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

Been there and done that. Growing up my mom had an ex boyfriend who snored so loud I could hear it clearly across the house. I was only a kid and couldn't deal with something like that so I would go into frustration fits (I guess its a temper tantrum type deal) at night because of it.

Have your room mate go to the doctor about it and see if anything can be done. He may have sleep apnea or something

8. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Step 1) Send him to doctor to get checked for Sleep Apnea... remind him that it can kill him.

Step 2) Go to bed before him :rolleyes:

9. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Seriously, have a talk with him about it. I was recently on the opposite side of this issue when I was staying in temp dorms for my job orientation, and my roommate was severely bothered by my thunderous nocturnal droning. He talked to me about it, and because I'm not an asshole, we tried to find a solution together. I went and got some breathe right nose strips, started sleeping on my back more (he said I snored less on my back), and took the occasional sudafed before bed if I was feeling particularly stuffy. It didn't get rid of the snoring completely, but just enough to help him get to sleep.

Some of my current roommies here at the hospital are snorers, so I use the iPod/earbuds method. I'm sure I still snore and it might bother them, but tit for tat, I say :lol:.

10. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I snore like a dump truck with metal tires rolling over the frozen arctic tundra. Mrs. Sage got me this aromatherapy stuff called Snore No More. Smells kinda nice; eucalyptus and stuff... According to her, my crazy loud snoring is more like a cat purring now. Maybe get a jar of that...

11. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Learn to live with it. My roommate both snores very, very loudly and speaks in his sleep. You just have to deal with it.

12. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

it's a waste of electricity but you could put a steady droning noise on like a fan.

13. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Use your phone on vibrate as an alarm. I did that all throughout college and I'm sure other people appreciated not having to hear my alarm every day.

14. Daiephir

Daiephir likes peanut butter

Make him sleep on his tummy/side, if he doesnt comply, rock

15. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

Wow. That sucks balls dude.. hnahaha

16. Jesse7

Jesse7 EST. 1988

go live next to train tracks for a year or two. Thats what I did, people have thought I was dead because I sleep so hard now.

17. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Learn to snore, even the playing field.

18. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Oh, but the lulz...

One night he just sat up straight, eyes wide open and screamed several times in absolute terror and then fell straight back to sleep. :rofl:

19. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

oh man, mine would do that sometimes. the worst were his sex dreams though. incredibly vivid, and loud...

the one that sticks out in my mind was him yelling "oh you have such a sexy ass". I can only assume he was talking about his fiance...

and other times he would slap himself on the leg SUPER loud.