People looking down on you for a Peavey rig?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Thanatopsis, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

Ever had a situation where you tell someone what your rig is and they kinda roll their eyes at Peavey? I've definitely had it happen both in the past when I had a VTM120(stolen, wish I still had it), and nowadays a couple times with my Rockmaster & Classic 60/60. With both setups peoples opinions usually changed if it was a situation where they got to hear it. I've even had some uneducated morons just assume that Peavey=solid state too that almost didn't believe my setup was all tube if they didn't see it. Yeah, they've made some shitty things, but Marshall made MG's. They just don't seem to have much of a grey area, things are either awesome or suck.

2. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I don't care what you're using - if someone else is judging you based on your rig rather than your performance, the problem is on THEIR end, not yours. Even if you have a Fender goddamn Frontman.

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  3. Thanatopsis

Yeah, these people are definitely idiots. Just wondering if others have come across similar people.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The more ignorant, the better.

Means Peavey shit will always go cheap used. :lol:

Just know that their tone will change once they actually hear the rig. Wipe that smug look off their faces. ;)

5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

As long as there is gear, there will be gear snobs. Some of the best musicians in history, and some of the most successful (notice one does not relate to the other) have either started with, or still endorse, Peavey products.

I am niether the best, nore successful, but I have owned a shit load of Peavey amps, and could afford just about anything if a really wanted it, and I own a Vypyr Tube head, and don't care who knows it. They sell for $300 used all day, and I wouldn't give you mine for anything less than $1K if I could not replace it for another one just like it.

The 5150/6505 series has to be one of the most used metal amps in the last three decades.

F*ck the snobs, I play Peavey, and have money to spare for other shit I don't need.

Now I would love to have a custom built Rhodes Colossus, but $3K for a guitar amp is just not practical for me, music is not my business, it's not my life. If I was touring and making a couple hundered grand a year, I would have four of them. And custom cabs, and custom axes to go with them. So yeah, that's not going to happen. And if it did, it would have started with a damn Vypyr.

6. Thanatopsis

I've come across posts/reviews of Rockmasters from 10-15 years ago and people were saying 150 was way too much to pay and $75-100 was the going rate. If I knew about it then I would have snagged a few of them.

Countless people have proved and continue to prove that in music more than any other industry it seems, skill has absolutely no correlation to success.

7. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

I remember when I was selling my 6505+, a coworker mentioned he was into guitar (think he said he was just starting out), and I mentioned I had the Peavey for sale. . . he immediately proceeded to tell me how bad Peavey amps suck and how he would never play one because they are garbage.

I was like :noplease:

8. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

It's not just peavey my line 6 rig gets a few sneers too.

My old bugera got one of two reactions from ugh from people who know the behringer connection and wow is that a boutique amp? from guys who heard it and didn't know the brand.

9. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Peavey makes amazing amps. If anyone looks down on ya for playing them, just kick them really f'n hard in the nuts, cuz they are stupid.

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I think it stems from the fact that Peavey's bread & butter has always been entry level combo amps. I swear at least 7 of every 10 guitar players have owned/used a Peavey combo of some kind at some point in their lives. It was only in the 90's that they came up with the 5150. Before that, they really weren't known for their "performance" rigs. So while now they have a whole catalog of heads to choose from, the stigma of being "entry level" has kind of stuck.

11. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Peavey is one thing. Once you go digital, that's when the excrement really hits the fan :D

12. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Dude my Peavey Bandit 112 sounds awesome. Yes it's solid state, yes it's a Peavey, but it's gets heavy and loud.

That being said... saving up for a tube head still

13. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

I've had so many amps in the past and with my recent down grade in gear i'm currently using my peavey 112 teal stripe bandit.is it tube,no.It is loud and does the job.I never expected it to sound like my 5150 and I don't care.To me its just how the musician uses the tools he's giving,.... what others think.

14. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Hahaha no ppl around me only use Line 6 Spider 3 heads.... If you have a Peavey you are cool

15. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

Huh, anytime I've mentioned my tube vypyr they either knew what it was and said something along the lines of "those are cool amps" or didn't know but were interested that there was a tube version of the vypyrs.

I guess I've been lucky and haven't had to deal with too many snobs.

16. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Before I went to an all digital rig, I only used Peavey. I high five people for using Peavey. I have a Peavey bumper sticker even though I dont use them anymore.

17. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Piss on the snobs dude! Way too many people think that if you pay over 1K for an amp/rig then you have the be all end all of setups. A high dollar amp does not make you a high dollar player and vise verse. Case and point; the main sound doesn't come from the amp, it comes from the hands of the person using it. Now take that peavey rig, rip their ....ing faces off and when they ask you what rig you are using, having the pissing contest on how theirs is soooo much more valuable, look at them and :fawk:

18. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Don't talk gear with locals is the solution.

19. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I always find it to be very funny when snobbery people show up at a gig with their 6K rig and still manage to sound like shit.

20. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Not to mention that Peavey's prices have generally been lower than other American brands, which reinforces the idea that they are just a cheap alternative to better gear. While that's understandable in theory, the reality is complicated by Peavey's historic quality and reliability. Those cheap practice amps you mentioned? The vast majority of them probably still work, which is not something you can say for a lot of other brands.