Peavey valve king 100 Amp head

Jchris65

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a peavey user for years but on a strict budget. Bought this Amp head, using a Ibanez tube screamer but can't get a decent metal sound. The cab is a crate 4x12. Should I try a distortion pedal and if so what's the best pedal to try.

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played a Valveking for several years but I think that your cab might be the issue and not the amp. Not sure what speakers the Crate cab has, I'm guessing Crate generic speakers. I'm quite sure if you try it with a better cab, it'll sound a lot better.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't played a Valveking for several years but I think that your cab might be the issue and not the amp. Not sure what speakers the Crate cab has, I'm guessing Crate generic speakers. I'm quite sure if you try it with a better cab, it'll sound a lot better.

Nah, the Valve King is just not a metal amp. A former bandmate had one and ran it boosted with a Metal Zone (which did the trick for a thrash band).

If a TS is not enough for his needs, then he's right on the money at using a distortion pedal on the clean channel.

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah, the Valve King is just not a metal amp. A former bandmate had one and ran it boosted with a Metal Zone (which did the trick for a thrash band).

If a TS is not enough for his needs, then he's right on the money at using a distortion pedal on the clean channel.
It's not a 5150 for sure but I remember it got quite gainy but mostly for 80's metal and maybe some 80-90's Thrash. It's been a while though. A distortion in the clean channel the majority of the times sounds like ass unless he gets a distortion pedal that costs more than the amp itself.
If he's near a guitar shop that has some decent cabs, he can give it a got with the TS and if the sound is still not great then a distortion pedal might be the way to go. Still a MetalZone or a SD1 as a boost on the dirty channel might be a more cost effective option than a good distortion pedal in the clean channel.

EDIT: The reason for suggesting trying cabs is because I've experienced first hand how much of a difference it makes to the sound and can make an amp sound from awesome to crap! Plus usually 4x12, decent ones, can be found quite cheap and with all full V30's.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a 5150 for sure but I remember it got quite gainy but mostly for 80's metal and maybe some 80-90's Thrash. It's been a while though. A distortion in the clean channel the majority of the times sounds like ass unless he gets a distortion pedal that costs more than the amp itself.

Yeah sure, but if he doesn't like the amp with a TS, I don't think a SD-1 is gonna cut it either.

He can get a Mooer preamp. They are cheap as hell and sound fantastic.
https://www.thomann.de/es/mooer_micro_preamp_005_fifty_fifty_3.htm

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What I'm thinking, what's the best distortion pedal

RAT

You can still run it "tube screamer style," it adds more grit than a tube screamer. Turn the gain up gently until you find the sauce.

Do try a better cab/speakers with it also.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
What settings are you using on the amp and Tube Screamer? The VK definitely isn't a brutal high gain monster, but it can get a more than workable metal tone with a boost.

Kyle Bull (@BadSeed ) has done a handful of videos with that amp and got some solid tones. The speaker cabinet probably isn't doing you any favors in this case :2c:

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a peavey user for years but on a strict budget. Bought this Amp head, using a Ibanez tube screamer but can't get a decent metal sound. The cab is a crate 4x12. Should I try a distortion pedal and if so what's the best pedal to try.
Would you mind sharing your amp and tube screamer settings?

Jchris65

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's the thing, I've put my settings at different places and my screamer pretty much all the way up. It's either the cab or the tubes needs to be replaced

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

What's in the Crate? Unless it's a BV cab, it's most likely your problem.

Valdra

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never really had any issues getting a metal tone out of my valvekings. I usually use a Fortin Grind or MXR Wylde OD (boss sd1 clone I think?). The grind definitely gives it more "omph".

I guess it depends on what kind of metal tones you are going for? The valveking was never a really harsh and aggressive amp, mine is more "snappy" and "round", which may not be the tone you're looking for. Ime TS pedals smooth amps out a little while pedals like the Boss SD1 tend to make them a little more aggressive, maybe that's not the thing you're looking for?

I'd bet it's the cab unless it's the Crate Blue Voodoo cab with the Celestion V30s, as that cab is solid.

Maybe also through a patch cable to bridge the send to the return in the FX loop, it seems like that adds just a little somethin somethin

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i thought i saw at one point Party Cannon was using a valve king, they are def get pretty brutal lol.

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's the thing, I've put my settings at different places and my screamer pretty much all the way up. It's either the cab or the tubes needs to be replaced
I did a quick youtube search and found tons of videos of people easily getting metal tones with basic overdrive pedals like a tube screamer.

Try these 6 things, some of it I saw on youtube.

1. I would confirm your preamp tubes are 12AX7, not 12AY7. The 12AY7 will tame the gain.
2. Put a patch cable in the FX loop.
3. Get the gain channel volume to #3
4. Max out the Tube Screamer volume, if you haven't already.
5. Try both guitar inputs.
6. Try another guitar and other cables too, may have a crap signal going into the amp.

These all should help confirm the amp situation before trying to spend more money on speakers or expensive tubes.

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I did a quick youtube search and found tons of videos of people easily getting metal tones with basic overdrive pedals like a tube screamer.

Try these 6 things, some of it I saw on youtube.

1. I would confirm your preamp tubes are 12AX7, not 12AY7. The 12AY7 will tame the gain.
2. Put a patch cable in the FX loop.
3. Get the gain channel volume to #3
4. Max out the Tube Screamer volume, if you haven't already.
5. Try both guitar inputs.
6. Try another guitar and other cables too, may have a crap signal going into the amp.

These all should help confirm the amp situation before trying to spend more money on speakers or expensive tubes.

Some solid advice there. I didn't think about checking the tubes to see if by any chance previous owner put lower gain tubes on it, but it has happened to me before so yeah, be sure to check!

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO The Valveking can do metal just fine with the included boost. Just lower the amp gain and you'll be good to go. I had one when they first came out, completely bone stock. Great, cheap amp.