Peavey Invective MH20

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hoss632, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

This is the way. I play in the middle of the night through a 4x12. My EVH 50w 6L6 sounds great at volumes the same as my strings are acoustically. I guess if you're not as stubborn as me you could even use one of those weird cabinets with less than 4 speakers :lol:

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Sounds pretty damn good. Of course Bea tends to make everything sounds pretty damn good, so...

3. shredmonster76

shredmonster76 SS.org Regular

Tone Wars is doing a live stream review on YT for those interested. I had this amp on my wishlist so long that I forgot about it. I guess it finally came out.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  4. Deadpool_25

I have mixed feelings about Tone Wars. They seem cool for sure but I got a bit tired of the same songs all the time. I also don’t love that he always boosts. In an amp demo I feel like you should demo it both with and without. He only does without if someone asks—just a pet peeve.

I’m watching the video now though and I have to say that little amp sounds pretty damn good.

And no, I’m not getting one so STFU. :)

cwhitey2 and MatrixClaw like this.
  5. shredmonster76

This thing took too long to come out for me, in the meantime I bought a Driftwood Mini Nightmare and a 5150 III Stealth 50w. It does have some cool features, but I'm not sure I want another EL84 amp, after not liking the H&K GM40 and the Peavey 6505MH.

6. shredmonster76

I totally agree about Tone Wars, he uses the precision drive, which to me is waaay to djenty sounding for my taste. His content is high quality production though, and he at least tries to do proper comparisons. Ola did a video for the Invective MH and it sounded really awesome too. I think I'll get one just for the hell of it.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I don't understand the point of a mini-watt 6505.

Amps through headphones sound like shit. Why not just get a full sized head and just turn it down? Peaveys are known for being decent at low volume. Hell or just plug into your computer and use sims for late night use.

Buying mini amps just seems like an impractical waste of money.

FILTHnFEAR and cwhitey2 like this.
  8. Deadpool_25

Eh. I kind of agree on GP, but smaller, lighter, cheaper amps with less wattage and an onboard recording solution is just a *thing* these days. It makes sense I think. It’s all about sales and if you put a MH on the (virtual) shelf next to a 120, plenty of people will go for the MH for various reasons.

I know if I was gigging and didn’t want to use a modeler, I much rather carry the MH than the 120.

9. bracky

bracky Contributor

It’s a lot easier to collect mini heads. :)

Dineley, NickS and Deadpool_25 like this.
  10. shredmonster76

Well, for me personally, I'm always looking for cheaper/smaller/simpler ways to get the same results. I have 2 50w heads already, if I can get the same sound and feel from a mini head, I would sell them in an instant. The Invective MH actually has some cool features, like the noise gate and built in boost, that could also eliminate the 3 boost pedals sitting on my floor and the cables that go to them. I'm not a gigging musician so it feels silly to me to pay upwards of a $1k for an amp that I will never turn past 2. As far as plug-ins go, I've tried some Neural DSP stuff and it was fun for an hour or so but I would never play through it to jam and be inspired.

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

High gain low watt heads are kinda tough, because they struggle to keep up with a drummer. I used to be big into them, but the more I used them with a drummer; the more they got frustrating.

LeftOurEyes and cwhitey2 like this.
  12. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I only liked my 6505mh as a preamp into my Peavey Ultra or rm100. But now that I have a Power Station I should get another. Any tube head with an EQ or something off the FX send to attenuate volume into an interface and IR's.

13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Yes, simple plugin. The Invective MH headphone out is surprisingly good. I usually hate this option on other amps but Peavey did a good job on this. Sounds like the di out to interface, which is not an AMAZING TNL killer but very good and inspirational. For a small glass mh, this thing roars and keeps it together. Recommended.

Hoss632 likes this.