Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I was talking fairly tongue and cheek when I said that it isn't cheaper, although it definitely makes sense if so little of the final work was being doing in the US then they wouldn't be saving very much at all so makes sense.

2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

For 2k someone can get a brand new KSR Ares 50 which is built by a super nice dude who puts out rock solid stuff and proudly makes almost the entire thing, parts included in the USA.

Many other options as well, I’m simply naming one I can vouch for.

lewis and crankyrayhanky like this.
  3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I'm selling my Ares 50 if you want a second one.

Kyle Jordan and ZombieDank like this.
  4. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

It's like it's revelatory that there is competition out there on the market. Sheesh. If you don't want an Invective, I get it. There are lots of amps I don't want! That said, I'm loving mine, and I would love for this thread to become a place where we can discuss the amp and how we're using it instead of a complaint-fest about perceived wrong-doing by Peavey. The air has been cleared, so let's move on.

Dcm81, Hollowway, bulb and 3 others like this.
  5. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

From the youtube demos I've seen the amp has a lot of gain (maybe too much?).
    I guess it's just the nature of the beast, since is based on the 5150 block letter.
    Has anyone who owns an Invective tried to swap the stock preamp tubes to something with lower gain?

6. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

I have not tried to swap any tubes yet, but I can say that channel 2 has a bit of room to run the gain lower. The lead channel less so. I noticed in Ola's video that he was running the gain really high and also maxing out the boost on the lead channel. I wouldn't run mine like that, but ymmv.

lurè likes this.
  7. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Sorry but thats kinda funny posted on a thread with over 1,800 replies already about just that.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  8. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Maybe the air is cleared but it still reeks of bait and switch...that’s why I mentioned the 6505 -same thing...switched production to China while retaining the Made in USA price. They’ve done this before, not meaning to bash Peavey...I’m a huge advocate but can’t stand waffling and dancing around a straight answer with a bunch of backpedaling...They knew exactly what they were doing and thought it’s “Ok” because nowdays it’s cool to just tell the consumer whatever you want to...it’s not just a “SSO thing”...it’s dishonest

sevenfoxes, Matt08642 and narad like this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Actually I think the 6505+/6505 had a $200 price drop after they switched production to china.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. NateFalcon

They were 1100 new (GC) and eventually settled in the 1000 range and to my observation continued that price with the MIC models...they’re still $999 at GC. Regardless of price, what bothers me is the USA hype to sell a product and intentionally shifting production to China after the product takes hold. I have no problem with Chinese made products -I have a problem with dishonesty

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  11. LeftOurEyes

The price was $999 (6505+) when they were made in America towards the end ( I bought mine in the begining of 2015 MIA), and the same price when they went to MIC. Not sure what you're referring to.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Musiciansfriend says $1299 in early 2015, which is actually more expensive than the $1199 I was remembering.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015050...fects/peavey-6505-120w-guitar-amp-head/481432

EDIT: The 6505 was $999, so it was only a $100 drop.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015042...iers-effects/peavey-6505-120w-guitar-amp-head

13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

still want to play it, sounds cool...but Hartley presents as a creepy creep. He's the only one silly enough to allow Undercover Boss to film his company- showing how cool and hardworking his employees are- and then he goes back on his word of promotions and gifts and swings the axe on their heads during the grand finale. Every other show is a feel good tear jerker. The Peavy episode still has me enraged years later....now this puff your chest out about USA USA and then go immediately overseas is another unbelievably bad PR move. Too bad, because I like Misha as he seems like a cool dude, but
    F this HP guy. I have one Peavey product left (after having countless)...will likely move it as well

14. LeftOurEyes

Maybe I got it on sale at the time then, don't remember anything stating that it was though, but I paid $999 through musiciansfriend. I guess I got a deal hah.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

It's definitely not an SSO thing. There's 92 pages on this thread though and since the first amps came out, this has been an ongoing question to clarify the country of origin WHICH Peavey used as a sales pitch.
    Ola just posted a demo video (which sounds killer) and Misha said that was one of the heads made in China. So that means this was in discussion a while ago (probably as soon as the first heads kept selling out after numerous delays) and that there are heads from that production line out there now shows that this isn't news, it's been actively in production, while these discussions were going on.
    TO BE CLEAR: I don't have issue with this being made in China. It seems like a killer head and the options are pretty awesome, whether they are worth almost twice a 6505+ is another issue. What is a problem is saying one thing and then when it finally comes out that it isn't the case, just being like, "look guys this is what it is, all good." Implying that making it in China is not cheaper is an insult. Of course it's cheaper!

I get it, this is part of Misha's income and there's no question he's being a salesman, but if you want to come off as a buddy all the time, be a little more sympathetic about it. Could've copped to the differences and even passed it off on Peavey, but saying, "yeah, it's made in China, what's wrong with you nerds!?" Isn't exactly good faith either.
    But fuck, if it is an SSO thing, then I'm fine with that too.
    If you're going to clear the air, it's more than a PR statement.
    This could totally be fine and yet it was treated as conspiracy then it was "this is what it is, so what?" I'm not losing sleep, I'm not pissed, I really have little to no investment in this (outside of potentially owning one at some point), but c'mon, this is, at the very least, worth acknowledging.

16. NateFalcon

Peavey in the past was known for solid, USA made products at a great price -they know that...and the problem is wanting to maintain that image by putting American flag stickers on products that are NOT USA made. The second problem is the consumer having to do their own research to gain clarity because the company only settles into honesty after lengthy questions from the potential buying pool. The third problem is labeling changes to keep the company honest when they knew from the beginning that these amps ultimately would be made in China -along side the 6505+...

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I checked out the Ola demo of this and the amp sounded in a way that I did not expect.
    Think interms of tone, I prefer the original 5150 and the level of saturation on his video seemed too much for me. Like too much Gain?

either way what I would say is the clean channel with the boost engaged gave an amazing tone. That i could defo use alot.
    Its features are still better than 99% of high gain amps on the market though.

Abit random, but is there any plans to make a "poweramp" only version for Rack setups?. (like a Powerstage 700 but with tubes and better features)
    If we got a stripped back poweramp version with midi still and the 2x 9volt pedal power sources on back, I think even I would enter the fold then.
    buying the full blown amp head for that price and power, just to run a Kemper/Axe into seems overkill to me and a waste of a great amp.

18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What are people complaining about the level of gain for? Ola always goes for this sound. It has boosts out the ass. It has a noise gate to allow one to go for higher gain without so much noise like the Theta preamp does.

I don't like it, but what is everyone complaining about the gain level for? Ola always goes for this overcompressedultratightsuperdistorted tone.

You can get that, but it'll still be $1,899.

Oh, and it'll just be the head. And it won't be rack mountable. :lol:

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Or you can buy a MIM EVH 5150-III 50W for <$1000 or a 100W for $1799, or the Stealth for $2k... all with Fender cleans. And everyone knows that Mexico is basically the US anyways.

You don't find anyone that is more of a Peavey fanboy than me... but c'mon man. They can't even get their guitars distributed to dealers either. WTF has happened to Peavey?

Oh well I'll stick to my 80s and 90s Peaveys lol.

Masoo2, Spaced Out Ace and lewis like this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Mexican or American factory, the workers are going to be the same either way.

After that Undercover Boss episode, Peavey's been in the dust bin.

NateFalcon likes this.