Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. chapperbone

chapperbone SS.org Regular

Yes, no master. Pre and post gain is what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2018
    Dineley likes this.
  2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Turn on the master boost (and turn up the knob on the back).

Edit:
    WARNING: turn the master volume on the front all the way down first then turn it up after lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

FYI, on the 5150/6505 my issue was that you got pretty much max volume at 3/4 and then from there you weren't getting more, definitely not anything useful, so we chose to create a taper so that not only could you more finely set the volume, but it would be easier to get bedroom volumes. Just crank the channel volume, and adjust the master to taste for live use. If you need more, you can always use the master boost on the back of the amp.

USMarine75 and katsumura78 like this.
  4. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

Been playing mine at the house for the last week. Badass amp. I was on the fence about buying one but it’s worth it. Still trying to figure it out when it comes to volume settings. Crank the post to 7 and run the master low for bedroom levels? I’ll be playing it live soon enough so I can’t wait to really crank it.

5. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Buying a 120 watt amp for bedroom level playing is like buying a monster truck and then trying to make it street legal...if it’ll do it, great...if not, it’s the wrong tool for the wrong job anyway...next they’re arguing about what attenuator to get, or ask weird questions about how they can make a 100-120 watt amp perform flawlessly at bedroom levels. “Does it sound good at bedroom volume?” such a common knee-jerk question ...well...that’s not what it’s for...and ‘Swiss army knife” amps always seem to sacrifice either on the stage, or while the newborn is sleeping. Get a small watt combo amp for home jamming and leave the half stack at the jam space

6. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I use all my big amps at home, including late night use, whisper quiet. Everything else smaller sounds shit in comparison even at those volumes, so why shouldn't i use them?

7. NateFalcon

I’m with you...not every big amp sounds good at low volume
    -I use my XXX and 3120’s in my living room...I just don’t expect them to be ‘living room’ amps...

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

A lot of small watt combos use different tube types. The last thing I want is a high gain amp with pushed EL86s honestly -- I'd rather have the 100W low master than a pushed lunch box amp. Meanwhile that low watt amp will have trouble outside of the bedroom. An amp for each domain is an expensive proposition (if you care about both).

I mean, a load box is like a $400 thing these days, so why not? Lots of great impulses. There's never been a better time to use a 100W+ amp in the bedroom. I admit, how does it sound at bedroom volume is an unusual-sounding question, but I think it's clear it comes out of practicality and other constraints.

prlgmnr, beavis2306 and NateFalcon like this.
  9. NateFalcon

Again, I totally agree, mine sound GREAT at low volumes...it’s just funny to think a big watt amp will be the perfect choice for low volume jamming. You don’t always get lucky lol

10. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

No need to be lucky, you just ask the question "does it sound good at bedroom level?" that common knee-jerk question you referenced above :lol:

For me a big watt amp is literally the perfect bedroom amp, as i get the best pre-amp sections there are. I just have a cab at home and a cab at practice and just simply move the head around. Really easy and i get the best sound possible as well.

sandalhat, Seabeast2000 and StevenC like this.
  11. NateFalcon

Almost ALL Peaveys sound good at low volumes...it’s a tired question

USMarine75 likes this.
  12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Actually it's not, with the 5150/6505 if you turn the volume down all the way it goes into this super dark sound, as if all the high end is being attenuated, and then you have to be super careful when setting the volume to get it to get past that effect but not get loud.
    This was something I made sure wouldn't happen with the Invective.

So yes with the Invective you can get it to sound good at all volumes.

Katsumura, for bedroom levels experiment with different combos of channel and master. More channel to master gets you richer mids, the opposite gets you more scooped and more air. I generally prefer the former setting for jamming, so I will do Channel volume at 7-8 and master to taste.

katsumura78 likes this.
  13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I don't need an attenuator for my 120 watt 6505 because it has a perfectly good one called "post gain." No issues whatsoever getting an awesome low-volume tone. That "dark" spot Bulb was talking about is definitely there but there is a point where you tweak the volume slightly beyond that and you get the full tone, and it's not very loud. I love running a big rig at home, and after owning one EL-84 based mini amp and selling it, I don't see myself ever going back.

NateFalcon likes this.
  14. NateFalcon

Over the years I’ve owned 3-5150’s, 1-5150 II, 2-XXX’s, 2-3120’s, an Ultra+ and a JSX...they’re pretty much apples to apples other than slight tonal differences and the XXX/3120’s having active EQ...ALL sound pretty good at low volume, and at the same time I’ve never had ‘volume complaints’...sure none of my Peaveys are quite as loud as my Mark IV, but I’d like to crank up an Invective and compare it to another Peavey or two...

15. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I guess the 15-20 different Peavey/EVH amps I've had over the years are different that the one you guys got.... lol

16. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The secret to getting a 6505/6505+ to sound good at bedroom volume is to turn down the presence and resonance at 0. You can get away with post gain at 1 or 2.

Equivalent sound to my 6505 Mini head at Volume 1 at 1 watt and the presence and reso knobs at noon. That is barely TV volume but it sounds good.

Frostbite and KailM like this.
  17. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

It holds some volume in reserve for the volume boost function. If you leave the boost engaged and roll the boost volume up on the back it’ll work like your other amp.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Also, if you can get the volume you want without engaging the boost, then don’t worry about it! There’s nothing wrong with using the upper range of the volume knobs. It took me a bit to get used to it, but it ended up not being a problem for me.

18. DNCHN

DNCHN New Member

This is my first post on sevenstring, but I've been reading posts on the forum for years and it's been very helpful to me. I didn't realize how uncommon this amp was. I've owned one since November last year.

I've always wanted a 5150, but didn't care for the clean channel. When I read about this amp I knew it was time to throw down some money. As soon as I saw one available online, I got it (through Reverb). I was not disappointed. It's exactly what I needed it to be.

I have a number of other high gain amps to compare it to, mostly Mesa amps. The closest amp I have in comparison is the Roadster. Unboosted, the Invective is tighter. In my opinion and the way I use both amps, neither of them need a boost, but of course they both tighten up with a boost active. The Roadster seems to naturally have a more booming low end, which I like. However, the Roadster needs to be turned up to a decent volume before it sounds good on high gain, otherwise it's pretty mushy sounding. The Invective sounds more consistent across all volumes.

I also have a Mark IV, Mark V, and a JP2C. These amps are all way tighter than any other amp I've ever played, although at the cost of potentially sounding too bright, especially the Mark V. I think the Mark IV is my favorite amp of all time, but I haven't had the JP2C long enough to know for sure, and that amp is a close second right now.

I would also like to say that I personally do not play djent music, nor am I really a fan. I'm also not a Periphery fan. Nothing against them, it's just not my kind of music. I'm looking to eventually get the matching cabinet for the amp, as I'm currently playing it through a Mesa cabinet. I was hoping to come back here to see if someone wrote a review of the cabinet only to see most people don't even have the amp yet. I feel lucky to have one. It does what I need it to do, and it's a sound that I couldn't really produce with my other amps.

Also, I own a Kemper as well, so for anyone out there kind of on the fence about getting a real amp or a digital one, there is a difference. I can't speak for the Axe FX, but the Kemper is awesome for recording. It's consistent and reliable. It's also really convenient to have amps and effects all in one space, and being able to switch amps, effects, and any setting you desire with the click of one button, and it's super portable. However, I have never been able to have it sound the same in the room, no matter what setting or trick I used, it always sounds like a recorded guitar track.

Anyway, bottom line, the Invective is great. The clean is really nice, and the high gain is fantastic and can be dialed in to be either saggy or really tight. If you're in the market for an amp and the features match your needs it will satisfy you.

I hope this helps.

19. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I recall on my original 5150 the secret was finding that .000001 degree on the volume knob between "off" and "cops". Granted i didn't fiddle with it that much at home - but yeah there are plenty of 100 watt amps that do just fine at low volume.

20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Haha "off" and "cops" is kinda the perfect way to describe it.

VBCheeseGrater and phil.g13 like this.