Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

No, the trucker chicks were Lynch's idea. I don't think Lynch was a big enough name to launch that amp. Satriani and EVH were the caliber they were used to . Things are not the same these days.

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I don’t think it’s a bug at all—I think it was a design choice. Not horrible but certainly could’ve been implemented better.

I do think it’s very suspect how few of these seem to be on the streets. I definitely expected more reviews both in print or on YT by now. The one Peavey guy said they were having issues with parts suppliers but you’d think those would be worked out by now.

The alt account thing...weak. You can troll better than that. @feraledge might be able to help you out there.

KailM likes this.
  3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

People are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re not a real person.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Deadpool, I don't support the trash talk you're getting in this thread, but the post above nearly made me spill my coffee. :lol:

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

:) Man I don’t mind the trolling. I get it to be honest. But c’mon man. If you’re gonna do it, do it right. Lol

6. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Same. It's pretty ordinary. Cheers for providing some helpful info

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

As an owner of an Archon 100 and a JP-2C, I’m really enjoying my Invective! I’ve never owned a 5150/6505/5153, so take this as you will, but the sound I was able to get in the practice space with the band this past week was really, really good, and I wasn’t lacking for volume. I was playing through an EVH 4x12 with greenbacks, and I’ll try out my Orange 2x12 with Vintage 30s this coming week.

Also, the versatility you get with that foot switch is amazing and quite simple to set up.

Shout out to this thread for letting me know when Sweetwater had one in stock. I had been on the fence, but decided to jump on the chance. I’m not disappointed, but I’ll keep you guys posted on my experience with it.

crankyrayhanky and Deadpool_25 like this.
  8. GoldDragon

It wasn't exactly trolling, just acknowledging that bulb probably has an alt account to vent/pimp things that he doesnt want associated with his main account. If I was "internet famous", I would have multiple accounts so I could post in anonymity. I mean, thats the point of having an avatar, isn't it?

The thought that you might be bulb was more an attempt at humor; despite your protestations, we will never really know. ;)

If its not a technical problem, and its not a supply problem, has anyone considered it might be a brand/marketing problem? Maybe Peavey is pulling a George Lynch on boy periphery? Maybe their market analytics show that Periphery is the wrong face to sell a tube amp. (Like putting a picture of Hillary Clinton on a box of Wheaties). Or maybe they have concerns about investing their product launch in someone who has been involved in some online flame wars and are concerned that one errant tweet/post could undermine their flagship product and possibly the company's survival? (They don't want to be Kylie Jenner'd.)

As people have mentioned, its probably not technical, its probably not supply. That leaves marketing strategy. Would not be surprised if another version of the invective appears, and the invective becomes a signature version of the main course.

What about a chinese-made version of the Invective at 6505 pricing? Now I'm really interested. They could call it the Chinvective.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Hollowway and DiezelMonster like this.
  9. Deadpool_25

Haha. I kinda figured so my response was a good natured jab back at ya. ;) That's the funny thing about conspiracy theories. They don't often offer solid proof but come up with all kinds of ways to shoot down proof that that runs counter to their argument.

That Peavey rep did post that it was supply issues. That doesn't seem impossible, but they haven't worked those supply issues out yet? Ehhhhh. The interesting thing now is they're in a really bad place in terms of marketing. For whatever reason, they're having issues getting enough of these built. If they were go start advertising it and marketing the hell out of it, they'd be creating even more demand for a product they're already having problems supplying. They're better off not marketing it much until they can fix their supply issues.

MIA vis MIC....meh. If you make it in the US you have to charge more for it, then people bitch about the higher price. If you make it in China people bitch that you're not supporting American workers. People are always gonna bitch about something. Assuming they wouldn't have the slow production issues if it was MIC (which is a huge and wildly speculative assumption) they'd have been much better off if it had started off as MIC and at a lower price point.

10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This scenario would be hilarious considering Peavey is more or less a joke outside of the 5150/6505 at this point, and should be grasping for any relevance.

Whoever came up with the invective had something good going (not the concept, but actually designing the circuit and making it MIDI capable and stuff),

gienek likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

Pretty accurate. Peavey doesn't have much going for it in the consumer guitar world right now as far as I can tell. As you say, the 6505 is pretty much it. The Vypyr might be better than the Line 6 Spiders but it can't get a solid market share; the Spider is just too entrenched. And I'd guess they aren't selling all that many 6505s since it's been out so long it's easy to find them used. Also there are a lot of solid alternatives these days. My guess is that the pro audio stuff is keeping them afloat and that they'd like to stay relevant in the guitar world, while capitalizing on the reputation of the 6505 as the "go-to" metal amp.

So what do they do? They put out an amp that's based on the 6505, but greatly improves (on paper) on that amp's design. They make it super versatile which is a good decision and some buzz is created. But they run into supply chain or manufacturing issues and some of the buzz turns into annoyance which turns into disdain (for some people). Because of delays, the buzz quiets down a lot but because they're having issues getting them off the line, they can't even aggressively market it to get the buzz going again.

And to make matters worse, it's made (okay, assembled) in the US. That seems cool when you first hear it, but not only did that put it at a higher price point, it came into question as a fact in itself.

So I don't think it "would be" hilarious. I think it is pretty comical as an entire situation. Like a comedy of errors. With the exception of the fact that the amp is still awesome. Come on, you know I was gonna throw that in there. ;)

12. GoldDragon

They are probably finding out that its not as easy to build amps in the USA and make a profit these days.

Pairing the amp launch with Periphery... from my perspective not a great move. Only because I doubt the average fan/player of that band can spend 2K on a head. And they are of a newer generation, more likely to be using plugins or modeling amps. Phone integration is more important to them than tubes.

I'm a likely candidate to buy an Invective because its a great looking amp and I've enjoyed Peavey amps over the past 25 years, but the Periphery connection (to me) is a negative.

Competing amp in this price range is Mesa TC50. Usa made, great price, top brand. And afaik, its not linked to any specific artist.

Times have changed and I believe that the Invective marketing/price was all wrong. Which is why I think there may be another "non signature", chinese made version in the pipeline. They could call it a 6505++ (or "Ultra 3D" lol) , leverage the name recognition, and charge $1300 for it. If they did that, it would be my next amp.

In retrospect, they should have paid EVH whatever he wanted to keep him with the brand. They could have kept 5150 name, and the Fender/EVH amps would not exist.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Hollowway, Deadpool_25 and gienek like this.
  13. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

At this point, I’m not sure I believe Misha was made in America.

14. Deadpool_25

Good post. Interestingly, the amp is NOT actually a “signature” model. It’s “designed with input from” which is technically quite different. But although I’ve seen that said (I think even by Misha himself?) and that’s exactly what it says on Peavey’s website—and there’s zero affiliation with Periphery on the actual amp—I’ve also seen plenty of places where it actually was called a signature amp. I think even at least one of the Peavey guys at NAMM said it. They probably wanted to avoid the “signature” thing but then they kinda tried to walk that line. And clearly failed lol. Now almost everyone calls it a signature amp.

I have the TC-50 as well (you’re right...there’s no artist affiliation with it) and I very much prefer the Invective. Off the shelf, the TC does mid gain a bit better. The TC has a better implementation of the master boost. And the TC (including the TC-100) is physically smaller. Aside from those things I prefer the Invective in every way (and after swapping that one preamp tube the mid gain thing has equaled out for me).

But Mesa marketed the TC quite well. The showed how versatile it is, demonstrating it with clean, low gain, bluesy, countryish, classic rock, modern rock, modern metal...awesome marketing.

On Peavey’s site, on the guitar amplifiers page, it’s not even the top amp listed. It’s third down, below the 6505 and the Classic series. Lmao. This amp should absolutely and obviously be the flagship yet it’s not even at the top of the amp page? Ridiculous. (And the pic of the Invective on that page has Misha leaning on it which reinforces the “signature” perception.)

The marketing was/is definitely wrong. The pricing is right (imo) for an amp with these features that is “assembled in the US” but if they could have built it overseas and kept the price a few hundred lower...AND if that would’ve enabled them to have smoother and higher production, then they definitely should’ve done that.

Edit: holy fuck that was long. Sorry about that. :)

15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Respectfully disagree -- I would have loved a flexible 5150, brand new, made in America. Does the world need another Chinese-made 5150 variant? Would the invective, with its tweaks, still deliver that? Who knows - no decent demos really.

But when I'm on the market for something in this area, I'm basically torn between block letter 5150 and a SLO. The block letter has the the pedigree, but these days they're all beat up and you don't really know what you're getting, but $600-900-ish. The SLO has super nice transformers and wiring, used pricing around $2200-3200, and new around $4500. I feel like this could have been a good middle ground.

Of course the 5150 and SLO are not the same tonally, but similar enough that they're competing in my search.

16. GoldDragon

I don't have anything against the Invective price. Looks like a great amp.

However, a "USA made" amp these days uses all chinese components afaik. If the warranty is the same, the parts are the same, what does it matter if built by a chinese person? (And priced $500 lower)

I am a big believer in manufacturing in USA, but electronics components are all imported now anyway, so there is an additional layer of complexity that doesn't improve the product.

Even if USA built, an Invective is still not a SLO with hand selected components.

On cars they show percentages of where the parts were sourced. The part sourcing % is of more interest to me. If it uses mostly USA parts, that engages a lot more of the economy.

Beheroth and Deadpool_25 like this.
  17. Deadpool_25

I agree. I’d guess the parts for my TC-50 are mostly from China or elsewhere overseas too. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to find out they have an equal number of parts made overseas.

18. narad

Where are the transformers coming from?

But anyway, it does tend to matter to me. It's like these korean guitar shops. There's nothing comparatively worse about a guitar made in Korea by Korean hands, but there is about a shop whose being budgetted a certain amount of time and needs to find some savings -- be it in reduced time -> degree of attention and QC, or resources -> lower grade wiring, less scrutiny over subpar wood, subpar fretwire, etc.

You can say all the amp parts are made in China, but as far as I'm aware that's just speculation. It could come down to many of them being imported from China, but you still have to build the thing, and there's actually a lot of foresight that goes into a good amp layout, how the points are soldier, how things are mounted on the board, etc.

I mean, I'd love to see a lot of gut shots of Chinese made amps compared to US made amps at various price points to see how things measure up, but a priori, I'm going to give the nod to the US made one for now.

mnemonic likes this.
  19. GoldDragon

Here is another angle. Labor in China/Korea is dirt cheap, so they can pay them to do the job right. And even though that wage is relatively low, they live like kings on that salary. They can get relatively better employees.

I imagine paying Americans to build amps is tricky. Cant pay too much or the amp will not make any money, but what level of quality do you get if you're only willing to pay $15/hr? (What level of staff turnover, etc.)

Economy needs to be fixed to solve this, but I agree a preference for USA built is a part of that.

Beheroth likes this.
  20. narad

I mean, it could be like this, but in as much as I've heard it as it pertains to world music co, it's very much not like this currently. I mean, when there's like a Korean Soldano where it's $1400 for a Korean made amp but with beautiful point to point wiring, high quality solder, all the best components, I'm all game.