Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

It's completely possible to do with almost any amp. The issue running out of space in the chassis. In the case of the invective with the feature set it already has, I doubt there's room left in there to swing a bee's dick.

2. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

Did anyone ever try this? I unfortunately went through this whole thread but only saw 6550s being used instead of the 6L6s.

7 Stringer likes this.
  3. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

The Invective manual says it can run Kt88's, and IIRC John Fields said so as well on the Invective FB page a while back.

I plan on trying some in mine here before long, I'll make sure I report back after doing so.

Really curious as to what it will sound like with them as opposed to the 6l6's that are in there now.

shpence likes this.
  4. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

I just got an invective 120w head. Coming from an EVH 5150 50w with a 2x12 cab. Any recs on a 2x12 cab to pair with it? I’m still using the evh 5150 cab for now but it’s only 60w and it’s ivory which bugs me sitting under the black invective.

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Literally the only part of this amp that had be considering it over a vanilla 5150. Really wish someone would give it a shot and report back. Does it have external bias points?

StevenC likes this.
  6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

So...what happened to the Invective Mini? Died because of Covid-19?

BlueTrident likes this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Aren't those EVH speakers 20w? Pretty sure they are, which would be 40w...

8. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

The EVH 2x12s don't come with the signature EVH speakers, they come with 30w G12H Anniversarys.

9. soul_lip_mike

Yep -- dual 12" Celestion G12H 30-watt

10. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Ya happy with the sound of the amp?

11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

@soul_lip_mike

I had a pine 2x12 built by BFG cabs. It looks a lot like a Mesa 4x12 but is a bit smaller and is the width of the head. It has the same speakers as are in the stock Invective cab—a V30 and a Creamback 65. They’re connected at 16ohms and sound phenomenal imo.

I also tried it with a Mesa 4x12 (V30s) which also kicked ass.

You might want to find a used Recto 2x12 horizontal cab. Should sound great b

12. soul_lip_mike

That sounds awesome @Deadpool_25 did you post it anywhere on here?

13. Deadpool_25

Im sure I posted it but it’s been a while. Here’s an older pic:

[​IMG]

14. Deadpool_25

Here’s a more recent pic. I blacked out the front panel.

[​IMG]

narad likes this.
  15. jemunder

jemunder SS.org Regular

Been reading this thread. Man...a lot of arguing about where it's made or why they are or weren't available. Struggled to get through the whole 127 pgs but I did find some good info. Kind of expected to see more about different tones with different settings, tube rolling, changes in bias settings, ect.

As soon as I plugged it in I noticed the volume situation. Saw the post about the master boost so now I just run it dimed all the time. I'm not a big fan of the noise gate. Still a ton of hissing going on and it cuts your notes off even at lower settings. I guess it would be optimal for the fast down tuned start/stop rhythm riffs where you don't need that sustain but no good for lead IMO. I have an old school ISP Decimator and just run that up front and it does a way better job keeping things quiet but not killing the sustain. I don't even find that I need to run a gate in the loop at all.

One thing i noticed is this amp is surgical...doesn't cover up mistakes well that's for sure. Articulation is going to be great for extended range guitars with low tunings I have no doubt. To me the amp sounded stiff initially and cold. I've been playing Marshall's for a while now and it's been a minute since I owned a 5150/6505 so normally I'm all about mids. I honestly couldn't get a real good warm tone with nice sustain and harmonics. Suddenly I got pretty depressed. Just spent a fair amount of money on this beast and it really wasn't living up to my expectations. Then I started to think well maybe I'm just so used to the Marshall tone, maybe that's just what I like now. Am I going to really have to flip this thing and just get a JVM? Anyway...I spent more time with it and noticed quite a few things and was able to dial it in like the amp I thought it would be.

As stated here there is a pretty big difference in tone just with the way you dial in the channel post with the master volume. It is way warmer with the channel post volumes dimed and just using the master. This is the way I like to run it. Or you could honestly blend them in any different amounts and get different results...this is actually pretty cool. EQ settings along with the presence & resonance seem to react well & give you what you need...no issues there. With the channel volumes & master boost dimed and on there is no question about volume lol. It gets crushingly loud on like 2. Back to the warmth thing...I checked the bias on the tubes and it was running somewhere around the neighborhood of 26mA. I cranked them up to 33 and it made all the difference in the world. Suddenly the amp got warmer, harmonic content was there, nice sustain, note separation in chords, ect. I highly recommend biasing your tubes warmer. All you need is a cheap multimeter.

I'm rambling here but there is a lot to this amp. Jury is out as to whether or not I prefer the boost on the orange/red channel vs a pedal. On the orange channel I honestly prefer to just use a regular old TS808. Dial the gain way back (yeah right!) & add gain & level on the TS and it sounds really badass. Red channel does remind me of the 5150. For this channel you can use the boost on the amp and be just fine...tight as hell with that nasty grind & more gain on tap than you would ever use. Cleans are ridiculous. I have an old analog chorus and it sounds unreal through the loop. Then as you introduce the OD you get into blues & classic rock territory. All in all I think this is a fantastic amp and it has the ability to cover a ton of different tones if you experiment with the settings, it's onboard boosts, & different pedals. I'd like to have the matching cab so I can see how that responds but all in all I'm very happy with it. Will probably start experimenting with swapping pre's to see how the amp responds to different 12AX7's. I'm not a huge fan of the JJ preamp tubes...I like their power tubes though. Peace...

16. Deadpool_25

Welcome to the forum. Good first post. Sorry you had to wade through this whole thread lol.

Agreed on all points. I haven't gotten into tube rolling other than swapping the lower gain preamp tubes in there. It's back to the stock tubes right now though. Not for any real reason other than I was testing it against the 5150 and never put the 12AT7s (or were they 12AU7s?) back in there. Sounds great. Now it's running in the 2-amp rig with the Super Kraken it's wtfbeastly.

17. jemunder

jemunder SS.org Regular

Thanks man...& thanks for all you contributed to this thread. Actually helped me fix some issues I was having last night. I'm sure that 2-amp rig sounds killer. I'm going to get this bitch all figured out then I'll post some videos.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. Deadpool_25

Cool man. Thanks for that. I'm glad all my yapping in this thread was at least a tiny bit helpful to someone lol. The rig does sound killer, but I've ripped my pedalboard apart yet again, this time to build a homemade board to put the pedals on. Looking forward to your videos for sure.

19. soul_lip_mike

As much of a @bulb fan boy this will make me out to be, I have actually had a lot of success running the Horizon precision drive on top of the Channel 2 for my main Rhythm tone. It really tightens things up. The noise gate is great IMHO. I haven't had to use the master boost very much, nor the regular boost on the 2nd channel. I love the sound of the boosted clean channel for a bit of a dirty bluesy sound. Have not used channel 3 much at all yet. I tend to find it a bit too messy for me but I have not had a lot of time to mess with the amp at loud volumes yet.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. soul_lip_mike

@Deadpool_25 which speakers did you put in your custom cab? Same as the invective 2x12? Following your advice since the invective 2x12 is on back order forever I am having BFG build me one. Never installed my own speakers before so hopefully it goes well...