Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's half a billion people in the EU and in North America. There's maybe 30 million in Australia and New Zealand.

2. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Less than 30 million, I think we only recently hit 24 million haha. Scale is part of the problem, the other being the middle men who are the distribution network (third parties independent of the manufacturer) are fucking useless at importing goods.

3. Guitardave

Guitardave New Member

So I managed to finally get a timescale out of Peavey for the release of the Invective MH. They told me “4th Quarter”, so anywhere between October and December. Not exactly helpful. Maybe they’re going to try for a full 12 months from revealing the amp to anyone being able to actually buy one. I’m on the verge of cancelling my preorder and just going with an EVH 5150 instead. Fed up of waiting!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I can't even try Peavey stuff where I am in Canada tbh, I can't imagine other countries lol

Spinedriver likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Just go for it. Cut your losses.

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Same here. There was 1 store in the city that carried Peavey stuff but L&M bought them out and closed the store. If you want ANYTHING Peavey now, it's either buy & sell ads or pawn shops.

7. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yep exactly. We had one store that carried Peavey in my city but they closed in like 2012. Since then it's been slim pickings. I remember asking the L&M guy in 2015ish if they carried Peavey and he almost laughed at the notion

8. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I think Peavey was considered to be their 'budget' line of amps at one time but since then, L&M either bought or was bought by Yorkville/Traynor, so that took over the 'budget' bass/guitar amp head part and now with Line 6, Boss, Marshall & Fender all putting out cheap combo amps, they didn't really need Peavey anymore. That & I seem to recall there being something about L&M having a lot of issues with Peavey in general so they just said 'screw it' because they had plenty of other things to fill in the gap.

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Just buy an MI Audio Gamma or Beta instead. :)

10. Guitardave

Guitardave New Member

Done.

Cancelled the Invective Mini and put in an order for the new EVH 5150 el34 1x12 combo instead. It’s due end of October. Fender were a lot more helpful than Peavey have been, and the 1x12 has got all the features i’m looking for so i’m happy to wait.

Shame the Peavey deal went sour. At the time I ordered it I was really looking forward to it, and the EVH hadn’t even been announced at that point. I’m sure it will sound great when it does eventually hit the stores though :)

11. Socatevoli

Socatevoli SS.org Regular

I registered here just to make this post..

I recently stumbled upon a Chinese made invective, and an “assembled in USA” model. There are def noticeable differences including over all volume/tone of the amp!

USA model made in 2017 China model made in 2018.

Right off the bat you can see a difference in the tolex. USA is lighter and feels like a quality tolex. China is really black and vinyl/plastic looking.

After inspecting differences on the outside I opened them both up and checked the internals. USA model has a red locktite on the tops of all the screw heads on the chassis. China nothing. USA used a long high quality bolt to screw in the front face plate. China is shorter bolts and feels like a cheap metal. All of the covers over the preamp tubes on the USA model came off very smooth with not binding. Chinese i really had to give some force to get them off...yes I understand you push down and twist. The wood on the USA model has an ice grain and seems solid. Chinese is particle board. Everything else seemed pretty similar..knobs looked and felt the same on both models...all of the input/output jacks felt the same when plugging and unplugging. Nothing else really stood out to me as far as cosmetics went.

So now let’s see how they sound...

I set both amps to the exact settings and fired them up. Right away I noticed the clean channel light on the USA model was more of a yellowish green and the light on the Chinese model is just straight green. I a/b’ed both amps and started with the Chinese model on the clean tone...played a few chords then switched to the USA model...wow the difference in volume/punch and over all tone was a drastic difference. I literally stopped playing for a min because I was so shocked. The USA model sounded alive compared to the Chinese model. It was like a completely different amp. It was like this through the other two channels as well. I even brought in my tone deaf wife to reassure I wasn’t going crazy and she even gave me an “oh yeahhhh” the difference is huge!! Again both amps set up exactly the same!! So at the point I went to the tubes..I thought maybe the USA model was tampered with since it was used and maybe the previous owner messed with the bias not knowing what it could do. The milliamps on the USA model read 26.4 on the two outside tubes and 22.3 on the two inside tubes..makes sense as it drops the outside tubes when used in half mode. I’m sure the previous owner used that mode a lot. So perfectly normal and within Peaveys recommended voltage. Nothing was loose and everything tested as it should. Did the same with the Chinese model.... that amp biased around 27ma...just a tad hotter than the USA head and it has zero balls at all when compared. Just speechless.

I can understand some cheaper components when made in China but I’m pretty sure “assembled in USA” means Chinese parts assembled in the states. So how can these amps be so drastically different when it comes to the sound?? What is peavey trying to pull here...????

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Ouff, you just started something big man. Watch out...... Block letter vx sig all over again!!!!!

Lol

narad likes this.
  13. Socatevoli

I was afraid of that

14. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

You will be remembered for eternity man. Glad to have met you....lol.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

So who else here is a fan of tacos?

16. Socatevoli

One of the
    One of the very few to figure that out

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Make America(n lights) Green Again

Socatevoli likes this.
  18. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Somehow Premier Guitar still fails to put out a decent product demo even after all these years.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  19. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm not sure why manufacturers want their high gain stuff on their channel. The more classic rock leaning people in the comments nearly always tear everything metal apart in the comments no matter how good the amp is, and yeah they hardly ever record the things well either. Either that or the player makes weird decisions to layer effects over it or play styles of music not really associated with the amp.

20. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Would it be possible to add an extra FX loop or two to the Invective? And be able to function within presets like the existing two?

Or would that just be too much? I know nothing of the complexities of loops(obviously lol).