Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

woah, i didn't know that, thank you narad, very cool ! From now on i will always ask to see the tech's birth certificate before buying an amp !
    MAGA : make amplifiers great again !

2. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

i still have a question though : how much does a made in USA amp made by a native american cost ? more because they're true americans or less cause they're colored ?

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

so is the assumption that if someone prefers made in America, it just must be a race thing?

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't know why people are jumping on @sharedEQ about that.

I see what he's getting at, Chinese manufacturing is much cheaper (hey, there's a reason everything is being built over there) and historically, it hasn't been known to be the best quality. Not because Chinese hands (or really, machines) can't make a good amp, but because the way some OEMs have operated, such as subbing unapproved, higher threshold components, in the past.

Where he's wrong, from what I've seen, is that the quality has gotten exponentially better over the last ten or so years and companies are better at keeping the QA/QC of the OEMs in check.

But, I can see why they, and others, have a hard time paying a premium price for something that is significantly more than likely cheaper to manufacture. Especially when no one has played it to see if the tone is worth the premium price.

Like I said, folks will pay whatever for whatever if the sound is there.

mnemonic likes this.
  5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying American or wanting to support "local" in one sense or another, but rather the expectation that something from outside America *should* cost some fraction of the American price. It's not 1960. There's no superiority on manufacturing at the level of country anymore. You want to take that down a notch and compare company to company, or better yet, product to product, fine.

Beheroth likes this.
  6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

As far as I know the cost of manufacturing in China is still a hell of a lot lower than the cost of manufacturing in America (probably down to a combo of lower cost of living, less worker protection, less environmental protection, etc) so yes, I think Chinese made things should cost less than comparable USA made things.

Superiority of manufacturing doesn’t come into my conclusion. I know China can make a wide range of quality, from garbage to nice stuff.

bracky and Matt08642 like this.
  7. narad

And yet without knowing the specifics of any of these, and less the shipping / distributional overhead in getting it back out of China, someone can just say - "yup, should be less than 1/2 American price"? I don't care if someone justifies their own purchase decisions with guess work, but dumping it in this thread is getting old. Of course you can guess how many people would be actively participating in your version of a "What I think a fair price for an amp is" thread.

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There is a difference between possibly overestimating the price advantage of Chinese manufacturing and being racist.

It's not like anyone is saying that Chinese, or other overseas OEMs, deserve to be paid less because they're not American.

When I get quotes for machine parts, those from China are typically between 25% and 70% cheaper than sourcing domestic. Total delivered. So I don't think it's insane to think that the "50%" figure is completely insane. Granted, these are very different items.

10. narad

Yes, and I never called anyone racist. Though, now I can see what that was brought up, since I mentioned the 3/5th clause. That was more of a metaphor: sweeping generalizations of worth at the expense of the individual are always bad ideas. But yea, fair enough, I see I didn't have a particularly tight bound on interpretation, and my mind went to that more because of the fraction than anything else.

It's not insane, it's just unfounded. How many variables are at play in pricing this product? And how many do we observe? And then we're going to grab a totally different amp and say this should cost 50% of that? Completely apart of USA/foreign make, none of that is either complete or logical enough to reach some price and say - "that invective should have been $1200!" or whatever.

I'm just so exhausted by armchair expert commentary on what things should cost depending on where they're made.

To be honest I heard some good Invective demos last month and finally started seeing some pop up used on Reverb. $1200 for a new circuit based on the block letter with new tubes and a foot controller vs. some old 5150 with questionable service and tube maintenance, semi-beat up. Even if I don't want those Misha features and pretty much just want a reliable block letter, I was pretty tempted.

Not to mention those 9V jacks...

11. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

oh ok, i was legit wondering why everyone was screaming racism all of a sudden, didn't know about the 3/5th clause.

12. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I never said anything about quality of Chinese goods.

I never said anything "racist". The reason to buy american is to protect american jobs and also pride in the belief that americans can still manufacture competitive products.

If a $1000 Peavey amp is made in America and its just as good as an import, its a no brainer. If it costs more and provides better support and has better resale (Mesa), it can also make sense.

What doesn't make sense is paying more but not getting the same support or satisfaction of buying american. When other amp builders can make great import amps for $1000, when Peavey charges almost twice as much for a Chinese "flagship", that raises some concerns.

I think everyone here is smart enough to realize that building an Invective does not cost significantly more than building a 6505.
    Again, let me reiterate that a $1900 Chinese amp doesn't deserve 100+ pages of discussion. I've got nothing more to say on this.

jfett, aesthyrian and Flappydoodle like this.
  13. narad

In a nutshell: Apples from country A cost more than oranges from country B. And that's outrageous!

14. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

This is not a belief that I hold. I’m not sure how people, in general, are supposed to “realize” this.

Also, I still love my Invective, and it compares favorably to my Mesa JP-2C.

15. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

How do their resale values compare? How about support?

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

IDK why everyone is making such a big deal about this. People here will get this amp, play it for two weeks, and then on to the next meme.

"Yeah I wasn't feeling the Invective so I swapped it for another expensive amp and Fluences, maybe a Grind or 33 pedal will be the answer"

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

5150 circuit is pretty timeless imo, if the amp doesn't suck and does a good block letter tone it'll stick around. Even better if it can do the 6505+ rhythm tone too, that's one of my favorite 5150 sounds.

you had nothing to say in the first place. if only you had saved us all the time.

I dunno where you're from but Mesa stuff drops 50% in value the moment it leaves the store.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  18. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

19. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Pow pow...bullseye

20. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

For those of us that own one or those who want one and are making asumptions , let it go...great amo and a great amount of bells and whistles. When it comes down to it....its what most of you guys want.....play one before bashing