Peavey 6505 sub

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalDaze, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Chances are this isn't for you. It's big. It's heavy. If you are the kind of person that rolls off the bass and cranks the mids/treble, run away.

You probably won't understand it. You'll say it interferes with bass players. You probably just play into your DAW and make YouTube videos with headphones.

But, if you want the floor to shake and have it sound like you've been mic'd up through a huge venue PA, step right in.

I have no idea why I bought this thing, but there was a thread recently about someone picking one up through Sweetwater. I repeated the process and there it was. All 80lbs of it at my front door.

To start, I hooked it up to my 5153 and used a guitar tuned to E. It was there but subtle. Then, a guitar in D...getting better. Then B standard....boom! The built in crossover was kicking in and it was thunderous. I got all giddy as I turned my house into a thumping night club.

I have no clips. It's more an experience. But, if you tune low and have some discretionary income to spread around, check it out. I believe Sweetwater is stocking this now so it is no longer a special order item.

NickS and rexbinary like this.
  2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

How do you think this would pair with a Governor/Swamp Thang 2x12 with a Bill Kelliher LTD in Drop C?

3. MetalDaze

Sounds like a good match to me. I forgot to mention that I was using it with an EVH 2x12.

There are two ways to hook it up. It can act as another cab into a speaker output or you can put it in the effects loop using's the sub's XLR connectors. In that mode, it will actually send back just the higher frequencies to your main cab, leaving only the lows for the sub. I've only tried the standard speaker input so far.

4. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I want one. Where would you put it with a 4x12 though? Beside it?

5. MetalDaze

I have it on the side right now while I experiment. However, it has some grooves in the top that appear to be for casters. I haven't measured yet to see, but depending on the size of your 4x12, I think it could hold the weight.

6. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I wanna try this with my 8 string so bad right now.

7. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Subwoofers are generally at home on the floor, but always experiment for the best sound.

8. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I have the ISP Vector SL and the Rivera Los Lobottom.

I tune to a open tuning but my lowest string is C. Honestly I'm not happy with the ISP but love the Rivera.

The rivera can be ran from the send of a fx loop which I do a lot which to me adds a lot more, when I run my isp I go from the speaker out to the sub and from the sub to my guitar cab and the crossover sends all my lows to the cab but because I'm not tuned insanly low it just sounds like a cleaned up 4x12 while the rivera when ran in the preferred method I have which is to run from the fx loop send it adds low end.

Honestly the rivera is by far a better product that has way more flexibility and options.

Can you run the 6505 from the fx loop of your amp and control the volume of the sub with the fx loop volume knob? This has given me the best results with the rivera.

9. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

So the sub is powered, doesn't need the power from the head, but it still takes a speaker cable and puts a load on the head? Wonder what it does to the power running into it. I suppose I would use the XLR outta my gsp1101 and power my main cab with my head.

10. MetalDaze

Yep, that's right. This is a quote from the Sweetwater page:

11. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Wonder what the dimensions are, if it will fit right under a Mesa OS cab.

12. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Looks legitimately rad.

13. Sleazy_D

Sleazy_D SS.org Regular

Yerp that was me, still love it. It's true, clips don't do it justice. One must be in its presence. The quandary for me is I want to use this live with my band, but don't want to lug it around because it's massive. BOLO for a NCD ISP Vector 2x10 400w subwoofer cab, its the size of a 1x12 which will be easier to bring to gigs :yesway:

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ooof I would love this for my practice room!!.

I would be able to run this with my Laney 2x12 too given that cab has an "extension" output for more cabs to be connected into it.