Peavey 6505/5150, Engl Powerball and Two Notes Captor Demo

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi SSO!

Here is my new video where I combine my Engl Powerball and my Peavey 6505 - left guitar is the Powerball, right guitar is the Peavey.
    Both are recorded into a Two Notes Torpedo Captor and both are mildly boosted with a tubescreamer.

I havent really experimented that much with combining amps in recordings before, but honestly it seems like having different IRs on each guitar track make a lot bigger difference than having different amps, but check it out for yourself. It does have the benefit of making the overall guitar tone less fizzy, I guess because the amps have spikes at different frequencies so they don't stack up the same way as when you use the same amp for both guitars.
    Btw the Engl Powerball is using channel 3 in focused mode with a healthy amount of mids dialed in, so it isn't too far from the Peavey. I guess I could do another one where I try and get very different tones to have a wider guitar sound.

rexbinary, Edika, FILTHnFEAR and 2 others like this.
  2. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

0:39 love that riff! Sounds good, honestly don't care how you achieved it :)

Do I notice some Emperor influences?

I guess best way to tell is to do one track dry with one amp and another with the other, not that I care - the mix sounds great. I think you can probably get rid of the Peavey at this point :)

Sumsar likes this.
  3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks Descent, it is always nice when someone appreciate your riffing :)

Yes I am a fairly big Emperor fan, I don't think I ripped off any particular song, but yes the influence is there - also the first riff is pretty much a wannabe Dødheimsgård style riff, dunno how well that succedded :lol:

Yeah the test here was to try and see what happens when you have two different amps in a mix - will one totally dominate or how does it work. I found it works pretty well, but it isn't actually that important too the sound - having different IRs make a larger difference than amps it seems.

KailM likes this.
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Sounds great, even though I only listened on my phone. I’ll go back and listen again at home! Nice riffing, as expected; with the proper kind of drum beats as well.;)

I think we’ve discussed this before, but using different pickups when quad-tracking or even double tracking makes a pretty big difference too. I’ve been meaning to try mixing my 6505 and my 5153, but part of me thinks they’re so similar it might not make much of a difference.

Sumsar likes this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks KailM!

Yes I do plan to do a comparison with having different pickups to see how that affects the sound as well - maybe coupled with different amps and IR cabs for maximal difference and width?

Regarding drum beats: Yes I try to improve my drum programming skills, and I have never done a breakdown / continued quarter notes on a crash cymbal, so I guess I am doing pretty good :lol:

KailM likes this.
  6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

In my case when I track second part I usually change my whole chain, maybe keep the speaker and mic on it but amp and guitars are usually different, to provide different flavor.

The ENGLs are hard to come by here but from what I've heard you can dial them similarly to the 6505 as long as you're fan of a particular setting. The 6505 is fizzier and definitely noisier or the two, but in a dense mix like yours you can't really hear it until maybe you have the 6505 open up a track by itself.

@Sumsar I didn't mean you were ripping off Emperor but I like the influences.

Sumsar and KailM like this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^You could do a lot worse than having Emperor for an influence. :mf666:

They're probably the leading influence on my music, lol.

Sumsar and Descent like this.
  8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I agree being able to write Emperor style stuff is a good thing, and I take it as a compliment :)
    I guess these days I have a lot of other influences too, since Emperors catalog isn't that big, so I don't listen too them that much anymore since I have listened to all of their albums many many times.

9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

They blend really well together in that mix. I can't really tell that it's two different amps unless I try.

Sumsar likes this.
  10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah I came to the same conclusion to my surprise, I really thought that there would be a bigger difference, so I guess I actually learned something here :lol:

Maybe that will spare me some money as their is not that much sense in buying new amps if they can sound so alike.