Peavey 6505 20w amp?! Yup...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by steinmetzify, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

source?

edit: didn't see the link. IMHO you can't judge the amp in any way with this video.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You can judge this amp through Peavey's shit stock speakers and a little cam mic?

Are you a magician? :lol:

3. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I love the internet.

4. sami50000

sami50000 SS.org Regular

So any word on the USB output? Or the recording capabilities in general?

I would really hope that the default cab/mic sim they have could be turned off. Even if it turns out to be great, it would still be hugely more versatile to be able to record the raw amp and then use your own IR's. I mean I get why companies commonly have a cab sim on the line out, but there really should be an option to be able to bypass it as well imo(shouldn't even be that difficult of a thing to implement, probably). Maybe I'm just expecting too much haha.

5. Haphazard

Haphazard Member

You can get a general idea by watching the vid. Want to place a wager that this amp won't be liked much on this forum?

6. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It definitely squeals for some reason in the video, but you can't really pass judgement on most things in life based on 4 minutes worth of evidence.

7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I think it sounds damn good for what it is. Not gonna compare it to its bigger brother as that's not fair. Better comparison would be to an RD20 or whatever, or the recorded tone of an IRT Studio. I'd rock it.

8. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

Just like every other gear video, take it with a grain of salt. I mean shit, the dude asked him to "chug" and he played a hair metal riff. haha

9. Haphazard

Haphazard Member

Don't name the amp after the legend if you can't atleast cover the basics. Should've been named "Thin Lizzy"

10. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

I hate it! One youtube demo in a large convention hall played with a strat by someone who doesn't even play close to my style recorded fifteen feet away with a mic cam and I can already tell that it's a pile of sh*t! DID I MENTION EL84s SUCK AUTOMATICALLY? AAAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!11!!1!1!11!!!!!11!11

11. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

[​IMG]
    Neg'd

Its a demo with a little cam corder at namm in the open air. People who like the 6505 will like it, its close enough even from that shitty clip you can tell.

Edit: new premier guitar vid about it

12. Haphazard

Haphazard Member

Neg someone because of their own personal opinion? I can do the same. Last time I checked... This forum's servers are in the United states not Norway.

13. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

I'd neg you too if I could. And it wouldnt be for your opinion, it would be for how you expressed that opinion, a.k.a like an asshole.

Why dont you try spending some time here for awhile before you start acting like you know this forum, Mr. 1-month-member-with-13-posts.

Finally, wtf does where the servers are located have to do anything? And if you say 1st Amendment or Freedom of Speech you can just GTFO right now, cause ain't nobody got time for that.

TL;DR: Enjoy your stay, though I doubt it will be long. :wavey:

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

Back on topic...

I'd imagine one of these + the upcoming AMT IR loader will be absolutely perfect. :agreed:

15. Haphazard

Haphazard Member

Watched the video... Gain maxed out on the lead channel and it sounded like the gain was set on 2 for the rhythm channel on the big brother. That's a red flag right there. I've been a long time peavey 5150 fan. I've owned 4. Major disappointment.

16. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I can't wait to try one of these out in person. The price isn't too shabby either. I really don't need another amp, but ya never know.

17. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

The Premier guitar demo is much better... The amp sounds awesome AND the demo was done with single coils!!! Run this from a guitar with decent humbuckers and a OD, back of the hair metal gain (which ALL 5150/6505 will do... The historical lineage is an SLO100 with "suggestions" on development from EVH guys...) and run a decent 2x12, 4x12 or with a two notes live/studio and this thing will get you there.

Also re the EL84 bashing. Opinions are fine but always subjective. Having owned EL84 amps (mark v 25, mini rec, dark terror, Jim Root DT, JCA22H) as well as EL34 (JCM 800) and 6L6 (6505 - well this is actually my sons), I tell you now, it is possible to make the EL84 sound like the bigger brothers BUT obviously with less headroom... Learn to be prepared to EQ differently.

Also you need to consider that the majority of high gain amps are not designed with power tube break up in mind. They get their sound from the preamps and then use essentially a clean, cold biased power stage).

To me the ultimate power tubes are KT77/88... Big arse, clean tubes that sound phenomenal in high gain applications because they are clean at high power with high headroom. Saying that, big bottles (including EL34 and 6L6) come at a price. They are expensive, heavy and need VOLUME... Modern technology, modern trends (both in style and use such as home recording and bedroom playing), mean that EL84 tubes are a much smarter and more practical alternative. Yes when run at full noise the EL84 is not as good as a EL34 or a 6L6, but a 20w tube amp at full noise is damn loud... Beyond modern practical levels. I challenge anyone to push a modern big bottle amp to power tube breakup and see how it sounds (in my opinion it breaks up too much and is so loud you need earplugs). It's also totally unnecessary. If your playing gigs that big, needing that much volume, your running under a PA anyway...

18. Senior

Senior SS.org Regular

I was just recently in an EL84 argument on here. I actually like EL84s. I loved my Classic 50/50, wish I still had it.

I gotta say, I want the hell out of this amp after seeing the P.Guitar vid. I can imagine it with a decent OD and metal-orientated pickups. Why dont they ever do that is a good question. Having the guy who designed it demo it means nothing when the cat making the vid is like "metalheads want this" "play some chuggy brootz" and the dude is jamming Dokken style riffs on the high strings with single coils and no boost.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'd also like to see a demo where the guy doesn't dime the gain. :lol: It sounded like he was using a fuzz or something because it was set so high.

20. Haphazard

Haphazard Member

If he doesn't dime the gain then it will really sound weak. Like a hairless dog with no teeth. Not impressed.