Peavey 5150 60w 2x12combo speaker change

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by fanfan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. fanfan

fanfan SS.org Regular

Greetings to all! I have a 5150 2x12 60w combo, with the stock (well played) speakers in. I bought the amp second hand. I fully retube (both preamp and poweramp) with JJ's when i first got it, and now i am thinking of changing the speakers in (I think thats Sheffield's in there). I would like to have your suggestion/opinions on that. I found that the oem speakers are lack of bottom end, its not that i dont like them averall so much, but i am thinking to improve the tone of the amp. I am thinking to install one of the 3 options.

1. A pair of EV12L Classic
    2. A pair of Vintage 30's
    3. A pair of G12M Heritage Greenbacks

Have you ever used any of the upper speakers with the combo 5150? Les me hear your thoughts on that.

2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

How about one Celestion V-30 and one G12K-100. V30s are a staple with 5150s/6505s, but mostly for their mids and tight low-end. Adding a K-100 instead of another V 30 would give it more low-end growl as well.

I don't know what kind of deals you can get on Eminence speakers in your country, but I use a similar combo from their brand in my 6505+. I use Governors and Swamp Thangs. Governors are like V 30s, only a little more low-mid emphasis and not as harsh in the upper mids. STs have a lot of low-end chunk but are otherwise pretty neutral on the other frequencies. I've heard they are sort of like K-100s, only chunkier. (I've never tried K-100s.)

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

I have 2 of the G12k100 and they sound amazing!

Another alternative is one G12k100 and one Classic Lead. That was recommended by Celestion tech if I wanted more midrange, but I think the 5150 block letter has more than enough midrange for me.

4. fanfan

fanfan SS.org Regular

Thanks for the answers, i see that both of you guys, have choosed at least one G12 K100 in your combination. I allready own a pair of EV12L classics and i was thinking to give them a try, but i dont know if they fit in there.. Do the EV's matching good with other speakers, or they play good only in their own ground?

I never have tried any of these G12K100 Celestions, and i would love to. I had used some years ago a couple of 1x12 with eninence governor in and i was blown away! I was thinking that a pair of greenbacks would be the most obvious solution for 80's-early 90's metal tones.

On the other hand, 5150 its too trebly by its own so i dont know... Until now, the only feedback that i have is "Put a couple of vintage 30s in it", but i found that Vintage 30's are everywhere! Even i, i use them with all my cabs (4x12, 2x12, combos and 1x12), so i was thinking to try something different.

5. GizmoGardens

GizmoGardens ECE/MetalHead

I've got a similar amp (6505+ 60W, 1x12 combo).

I have a V30 in mine and I think it sounds really good. Since you said you were looking for more bottom, though, I don't think the V30 will serve that end.

I have run it into my G-Flex 2x12 cabinet, which is loaded with Emi Delta Pros (supposedly similar to the EVM) and I think that sounds great too, but I have to turn the lows and res way down because that cabinet eats sleeps and shits low end.

So my vote would probably go to KailM's suggestion, or maybe even with the EVM instead of the GK-100. I used to have a 4x12 Randall cab where I mixed speakers in an X pattern (Cel 70-80's and Emi Alphas) and the sound was really full. Might be what you're looking for.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'll eventually be putting a V30 and K100 into my 6505 combo :2c:

7. Lokasenna

Lokasenna SS.org Regular

I swapped my Sheffields for the WGS versions of a V30 and G12T75, they sound pretty good together.

8. fanfan

fanfan SS.org Regular

A "classic" pair of Vintage 30s and G12-T75 would worth the try.. I already have a spare G12-T75..

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Try a K100/V30 combo.

I plan on switching out one of my V30's for a K100 in my Mesa Recto 2x12 in the near future. Sounds like a good pairing to me. Never played a cab with mixed speakers before, so I'm looking forward to it.

10. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Upgrading from Sheff's is one of the most fulfilling upgrades one can make.

V30+G12K is my vote!

I love the combination in general and have tried them both (one by one) in a 6505+. Both were phenomenal upgrades relative to the stock. If you are thrash guy in more a less standard tuning the 2x V30 will rock just fine. If you go lower then you will want the G12K in there.

Eminence Legend V12 are also excellent. I have both of my 2x12 cabs loaded with them.

11. fanfan

fanfan SS.org Regular

Finally a pair of EV12L's are installed yesterday in my 5150! And i had to say... DAMT IT! Sheffield should only be mentioned for its football team from now on... Tell me how can such a great amp be totally ruined by its speakers... Guys this 5150 has balls! No more hiss, no more lack of low end... Its brutal and powerfull and the EV's are still brand new! Thanks for your help, i have a G12K100 on my wishlist to try it with a Vintage 30's in the future.

12. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

V30 + century vintage for me...I ve found K 100 ultra defined but too hi fi sounding. Too perfect maybe :)

13. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I always wonder why it is that such an iconic metal amp is paired up with speakers that are universally regarded as mediocre at best.:scratch:

I don't get it.

Glad you like your new speakers!

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've previously referred to the Sheffields as the "world's okay-est speakers" :D

OP: glad you like the new speakers! The guy I bought my 6505 combo from told me he had bought a pair of EV12L's for it, but ended up putting them in a cab instead. Been curious to try out a cab or combo loaded with those speakers since then haha