PCs in the $600 range?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MFB, Apr 17, 2013.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

So, for the sake of my sanity and since I have terrible luck with certain types of software (the free kind) - I'll be switching from Mac to PC since I need to run 3DS Max, along with Maya and ZBrush; one of which works exclusively in PC, and the other two work better in it, so it makes sense. My Mini is great and has been reliable, but to upgrade the RAM (only 2GB now, would need 4GB minimum for 3DS and at that point I'd want to just go all the way up to 16GB [​IMG]), most likely the graphics card, and live in fear of being busted for having a cracked copy of Windows 7 (wouldn't be a first for having shit noticed on my computers) it's a bit much.

I've been out of the computer buying game for a while so I don't know what brands have gone to shit, what's become the new hot shit, etc... but I was looking at this one for starters.

HP Pavilion Desktop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive p7-1534 - Best Buy

Comes with 8GBs of RAM right off the bat, plus a 1TB drive, dual format disc drive (which my MM has uh, no drive), as well as USB3/2 ports (it's no Firewire but oh well), [​IMG] I had an old HP before that was solid aside from me being new to the download game and not realizing what was what and got myself some viruses here and there, but aside from that it ran great and I just got kind of tired of having the same old computer so I switched to a laptop then to my current.

Are HPs still OK, what's better/worse, steer me in the right direction basically [​IMG]

PS - I know it's going to come stock with Windows 8 which might as well be the Devil and will do terrible things to everyone and everything I love, so spare the talk about using that on a desktop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I really like ASUS computers. They've always run very solidly for me and they can usually be had for some competitive pricing.

3. ovation22

ovation22 Well-Known Member

Never had much luck with HP.

Seriously more bang for the buck building your own.

I recently built a recording PC for near your budget, and got twice the machine I would have gotten going big name retail.

4. groph

groph SS.org Regular

I'd definitely build my own, you can usually get better value that way.

Check this out - this is all I can really do, I don't know much about putting together anything other than a gaming rig.

Build A PC For Me.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, build a PC has been the main reaction I've gotten from another board so it's the route I'm going at the moment and it just seems weird basically spending the same amount but picking what I'm told is "good components" without having any real idea besides when I get it and just accepting that the computer is better than what I would've got

6. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

The problem with brand names isn't necessarily the components; it's more to do with the software, and all the proprietary shit they load the OS with, such that all you do is start Windows, and you already have 10 completely useless programs running in the system tray, hogging up your valuable resources.

Granted, it's easy enough to deal with that kind of shit (msconfig, etc) but it'd be so much the better to not have to worry about it.

Also, there's the point that when buying brand, you're paying for the name. Purchasing all the same components used in the HP machine then building the machine from scratch will inevitably cost less than buying the HP. Of course, whether or not that sort of trouble is worth the difference in cost is up to the preference of the individual.

All that said: when my apartment was robbed around 4 or 5 years ago and my custom built laptop was stolen, I bought a 'new old stock' HP laptop to replace it, as it was all I could afford at the time. At band practice this week, I used it to record us on 2 separate channels while simultaneously triggering live MIDI (synth sounds and stuff) via the Graph Tech Ghost system in one of my guitars, all through Ableton Live via my Guitar Rig Kontrol pedal. The machine proved more than up to the task. :yesway:

7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Here in Canada, there's a really great online store that you can pick out all of the parts and for an extra $75, they will assemble and burn it in (to make sure all of the parts work).

http://www.extreme-pc.ca/customize.asp?productid=371440&custid=53229

I got mine here 3 years ago and have had zero issues with it. They have great online support if you have questions as well.

8. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Custom is definitely the way to go. Hit up sites like slickdeals, dealzon, etc.. and you can find a ton of stuff on sale. You can build a decent rig ith 600 bucks. Throw mint or ubuntu or acquire software some other way.

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I've got one right now coming in at $580 and I'll just boot the OS even though I know it'll bite me in the ass. Tax return + bumper check + POD X3 sale = new PC :lol: