PC & Mac Compatibility

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by JoryGriffin, Dec 24, 2014.

1. JoryGriffin

JoryGriffin SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I'm going to be purchasing a new laptop for work/music. A MacBook pro is high on my list, but I currently record on a PC.

If I'm mid song on my PC, and I need to take it with me on a Mac, what issues might I have?

Provided I use the same DAW and my plugins are cross platform, should I be fine with a simple drag and drop of the project files? Any experience with doing this?

Thanks

2. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

If it's the same software & plugins....I wouldn't think it'd be a big problem. You should be able to just open the project and the software do the rest. This is all theoretical since I've never done cross-OS imports in the same app before for audio. Video work I've done the same and it worked fine b/c the application was the same on both.

3. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

Yeah, you should be ok as long as you use the same DAW on both systems. I use Pro Tools and frequently work on a Mac and a PC with no hiccups.

JoryGriffin likes this.
  4. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

File paths sometimes make a difference. Not sure how other daws do it, but FL saves your recorded audio into a folder. If you don't have that recorded audio, like a guitar track, in the same folder structure it won't be able to find them and you may have to locate them.

Otherwise if it's a cross platform daw, it should load up any vst's and such so long as they're installed, regardless of hard drive location. I used to make electronic music exclusively and it was by far much simpler to move projects around since it relied almost entirely on VSTi's.

5. JoryGriffin

JoryGriffin SS.org Regular

Thanks all. Seems like a sound plan.